+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101
Results 1,001 to 1,007 of 1007
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Good point. I wonder what he says about that. Maybe she's there to check up on Kim and the others who are overindulging.

FORT Fanatic

The difference between people who relapse after rehab and people who relapse on this show is that those other people werent put on TV for three weeks and then told they accomplished what they needed to and sent on their way.
    Dr Drew makes money off this BS and its nothing more then a TV show. Hes a fraud and should be stripped of his Dr title.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    The difference between people who relapse after rehab and people who relapse on this show is that those other people werent put on TV for three weeks and then told they accomplished what they needed to and sent on their way.
    Dr Drew makes money off this BS and its nothing more then a TV show. Hes a fraud and should be stripped of his Dr title.
    I think that's a totally inaccurate characterization of what Dr. Drew did on this show. He always made is clear that they were NOT done and strongly encouraged them all to enter after care. I thought it was always impressed upon every person on this show that this was just a starting point and that working on their sobriety would be hard and didn't end when the cameras went away.

The fact is that addicts relapse again and again and it has nothing to do with whether or not they are on camera. As someone who has an addict in their family, I can tell you that it doesn't matter WHO is treating them or what is said to the addict. If an addict wants to use, they will. Period.
    Last edited by Critical; 02-19-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

they did not just get proclaimed cured. Dr. Drew also had a sober living home for them to attend afterwards. Its not Dr. Drew's responsibility to keep these people alive. They have to want life bad enough to fight for it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

It is his responsibility to give these people the best go at it when he has them in treatment. He provides bad treatment. I've gotten into this here before. He gives everyone regardless of level of need the same 28 day program. He's had a lot of people in there that needed a higher level of care/longer treatment for their addictions.

He detoxed them while they were in treatment. Anyone who is detoxing cannot receive treatment. So you have people in there that spend 2-3 weeks just physically getting off the drugs who are then discharged with about a week of treatment. That is the not best he can do. That is sickening.

He gives everyone the exact same discharge plan which is to go to his sober living house. Which is further making money off of these people. Not everyone who goes to treatment should be going to a halfway house afterwards. People's discharge plans are supposed to be made specifically for them. Some people need a step down kind of treatment. Some people need to be in a halfway house. Some people just need to go one and do some meetings.

I don't blame him for everything that goes on after the show but to say he did a good job or the best he could with these people while on the show is wrong.

The other thing that may account for the show's high failure rate is that these people aren't going into rehab to get off drugs and alcohol -- they're going to be on a TV show. With that motivation, it's surprising that the rehab worked for anybody.
    JunkieGirl likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Many of the celebs that went to Celebrity Rehab were skirting the line of death anyway. They were considered lost causes by many, including their family and friends. So, even keeping them alive for a few weeks by being on the show was a positive thing. I"m sure many of them went on there for the money. No doubt, but they still got some therapy, support, education and clean for a few weeks.

I saw Mckenzie Phillips. former patient from the show, last night on tv. She was Mindy's roommate that season they were on. They showed the seizure Mindy had on her bed one night. SCARY stuff. McKenzie stood up for Dr. Drew and said he was the kindest and most devoted doctor she knew. She's had her relapses, but has long periods of sobriety. I listen to what she says, though, I do have SOME issues with DR. DRew. Mainly, regarding Teen Mom and not the Rehab show.

+ Reply to Thread