+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paranormal State on A&E: Mondays at 10pm

FORT Newbie

Re: Paranormal State on A&E: Mondays at 10pm

Quote Originally Posted by jmtme;2767005;
    This show SUCKS!!! And the religion stuff is sooooo heavy handed! Give me a freakin' break!!!! Does that mean if you're Muslim or Jewish or Buddist you're totally screwed if you get possessed or haunted because only Jesus seems to solve these ghost problems. The paranormal crew look like a bunch of Star Trek geeks on a break from a comic convention and their fearless leader makes me want to chew glass. WORST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!
    Very interesting about the religion angle.... For whatever reason time or whatnot it seems like the "Catholic Priest" is a somewhat icon in fighting evil. The Catholics do train some of their priests in exorcism. However, maybe there are Rabbi's and Muslim priets (sheikh's?) that have their own rituals and whatnot to combat evil. My guess is they take in the belief of the "victim" or person that calls them in into consideration as to how they proceed. To give the group credit they have a wiccan on their team.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

not only do they have a wiccan (though i think she identifies just as pagan) but they take great care to bring in other points of view - such as last week when they found out the land the homeowner's house was once Native American owned, they consulted the local tribe elders for suggestions.

it could be that they use religion because that is what they know and what the homeowners who contact are comfortable with.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Imam would be the Muslim holy leaders.

I don't mind the religious aspect but sometimes I find it bizarre how they pick what religion they want to go with especially when something like Wicca is going to fundamentally clash with something like Catholicism. Rites of exorcism used to be regulated by the catholic church and not performed all willy nilly has that changed?

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;2774035;
    I don't mind the religious aspect but sometimes I find it bizarre how they pick what religion they want to go with especially when something like Wicca is going to fundamentally clash with something like Catholicism. Rites of exorcism used to be regulated by the catholic church and not performed all willy nilly has that changed?
    but do they? on a personal level? i've always thought that if you strip religions down to their spirituality, they are really very similiar. when i had to teach teens about different religions, i always likened it to speaking different languages: different words, different contextual understandings, but a lot of them are fairly similiar past that.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I'm agnostic. So I believe in spirituality.

However, if you ask a fundamentalist of any religion if non-members of their religion are going to where ever their version of heaven is they're not. For examples. Members of pagan religions aren't going to be accepted by Judeo-Christian religions.

Pagan's and wiccans have always had a strained relationship with Christianity. They were burned at the stake based on their beliefs.

So in the ideal world religious views would be just like different languages but practically it's not. It's the world we live in. We have entire wars based on that stuff.

So I do continue to find it odd how they're combining these. I mean if you ask some Catholics too practicing pagan religious is inviting demons in. It's a form of satan worship to them.

I still want to know if the church loosened up the exorcism rites or what has gone on there.

I was under the impression that if a homeowner or a haunted person didn't believe in the ritual it wouldn't work anyway. This show is so staged.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Why was the girl from Ghost Hunters Internation on this show last night? Ghost Hunters wouldn't check out her house for her??
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I missed a new episode? What is going on with me? I'll have to check out the rerun.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2777624;
    I missed a new episode? What is going on with me? I'll have to check out the rerun.
    They did Shannon's (from GHI) house. Ghost hunting looks like it pays well! She had a nice condo or townhouse type place.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;2783300;
    They did Shannon's (from GHI) house.
    Hey I thought she looked familiar. Guess the plumbers of GH couldn't help resolve her haunting issues. GH(I) and PS don't seem to have the same goals in terms of concept. I see GH as just trying to either debunk activity or capture proof. While PS seems to go in to resolve some issue. I don't really think they are comparable except they both tackle the paranormal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123