+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- There's a new reality TV show, produced by Morusa Media, called "Who wants to marry a U.S. citizen?" that aims at creating marriages between U.S. citizens and immigrants who have temporary visas. The show is already generating mix reaction from some who say the show hurts the immigration process. However, others praise the match-making concept.

"We're out to prove love knows no borders," says Adrian Martinez, creator of the show. "Besides, that's what America is all about -- a multi-cultural nation."

Similar to the "Dating Game," one bachelorette (a U.S. citizen seeking a spouse) asks three bachelors (immigrants with temporary visas) various questions. Towards the end of the show, she decides which one she would marry.

According to the show's host, Angelo Gonzales, the show makes it clear to all contestants that it does not guarantee marriage or legal status, but will pay for a wedding party and honeymoon should a marriage result from the show.

"We're just out to play matchmaker," says Gonzales. "There are thousands of U.S. citizens seeking a spouse, and just as many immigrants seeking the same. So we want to make it a win-win situation for all involved."

Although, "Who wants to marry a U.S. citizen?" is being distributed independently, segments will be available on the show's website: hookacitizen.com (also immigrantlove.com )

Is it just me or does this premise seem .... odd? I would be hard pressed to know - to really know - if the guys were actually in love with the girl or the Visa, especially if they were really suave....

I saw the snippet promo, looks a little hokey and I doubt those are the real contestants.

I'm sick though - because I'd probably still watch it....

Re: 'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

you have got to be kidding me....what is tv coming to now a days...did they really run out of ideas
    Think Before You Act...."We Were Here All Together Yesterday" Stole Stole Stole

Quote Originally Posted by Jptopmodel8;2698979;
    you have got to be kidding me....what is tv coming to now a days...did they really run out of ideas
    One good harbinger of the fact they ran out of ideas was putting together a show to exploit children in America under the guise of 'entertainment' and 'reality tv'.

As for this show.... I guess it doesn't surprise me, either. It's been a booming business in sleezy and often illegal personals ads for years, so I guess it was only a matter of time before some moron with no actual creative cells in his/her own brain reality show promoter decided to put it on tv. I think, though, the real fun of such a show would be to watch the Home Security and INS people following the show's 'contestants' afterwards.

Since most of the people who appear in 'reality shows' nowadays are aspiring actors/actresses or other people who have publicity agendas for appearing on shows, I doubt this will be any different. Reality shows are fast becoming more fiction than actual fiction, and the success of another new one like this one will really be up to just how far viewers are willing to allow networks to suspend common sense and intelligence for the sake of entertainment. And in spite of heavy evidence to the contrary sometimes, I believe that viewers do still have some threshhold of intolerance when it comes to what we're expected to pretend is 'real' on tv. Hopefully, this will be one of those shows that doesn't make it over the threshhold.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2699095;
    I think, though, the real fun of such a show would be to watch the Home Security and INS people following the show's 'contestants' afterwards.
    So that would be the "Spin-Off" show....lol

With the feelings running high about immigration running quite high both pro and con I don't think this show will be very successful. I know already it has absolutely no appeal to me.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Please no........we already have enough problems with this whole issue already! Let's hope that this show never sees the light of day. I know I won't watch it! Who at what network thought this would be a good idea. They obiviously(Sp?) don't live in Southern California. Man people need to use their heads for something other than a place to put a hat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mcksmom;2700144;
    Man people need to use their heads for something other than a place to put a hat!

I actually live in Canada, and although all countries have their immigration issues, I get the feeling that we don't deal with the same woes as the USA. Is it a National Security thing? Or immigration in general? Would you feel the same if it were an Australian immigrant? A Canadian ?

I'm seriously curious

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2700211;

I actually live in Canada, and although all countries have their immigration issues, I get the feeling that we don't deal with the same woes as the USA. Is it a National Security thing? Or immigration in general? Would you feel the same if it were an Australian immigrant? A Canadian ?

I'm seriously curious
    Well, part of it is that (I know I am going to open a can of worms here) at least for me is that I get a little pissed off at paying with my taxes for free educations, medicare, disability for people that are here illegally and some (not all) really scam the system. I get pissed off when illegals hold rallies demanding the same rights as citizens and people who are here legally and at the same time fly the flag of their home country. Then to have a reality tv show more or less use the idea of an immigant marrying a citizen to stay here in this country sorta grates.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2700211;

I'm seriously curious
    In today's world, you can't really separate Homeland Security from INS issues anymore, and each share a lot of the same problems.

I can only speak from my point of view regarding this. I've been married for many years now to my husband who was Singaporean. Although we actually met in Australia one year when our separate travels happened to cause our paths to cross, we did meet, fell in love within weeks, and less than a year passed before we decided we would marry and he would join me in the US instead of us living in one of the other countries we traveled to frequently. What I can tell you is that marrying a US citizen isn't cheap, easy, or fast. He did come over on a Visa first, and we married within a month of his arriving in the US. And from the time we first decided to marry until he actually became a US citizen a few years ago, we did everything by the INS book, dotted every i and crossed every t and danced when INS said dance.

Meanwhile, we had a house in California and in New Mexico, both being states which have heavy illegal immigrant problems. Illegal immigration issues is something you find in the news here everyday. While my husband and I were going through the process to keep his status legal and then for him to become a US citizen, we'd watch all these stories of illegal immigration in the news. And then reading through the Sunday newspaper each week, we'd often see big ads where people from other countries wanted to meet and possibly marry US citizens. And I'm not talking about personals ads in the classifieds, these would be 3-column ads in other sections, as well as in the classifieds. My husband and I couldn't help but laugh at all this sometimes, because we knew it wasn't that simple.

For my part, I think there always have, and always will be, people who try to get into the US illegally, and marrying a US citizen under false pretenses is only one of the means they try to use to accomplish this. This so-called 'reality show' mentioned in this thread offers to pay for the wedding and honeymoon... but that happens to be a really sucky prize, because the wedding and honeymoon are the cheapest and easiest part of the process. It's nothing. And it means nothing, because I believe that, for the most part, the kind of people who would apply to be on the show are the same kind of people who wouldn't be able to meet the ongoing requirements, pay the very large fees, and pass other tests given to the couple to prove the authenticity of a valid (by INS definition) active marriage. These are the same kinds of people who by and large are already looking to get around the legal methods of US immigration. I really don't think that an idiotic show like this one, even if it were to last past a few episodes, is going to make a difference in the already existing INS and Homeland Security problems. And does it bother me from the standpoint of someone who's been through the legal process of marrying someone originally not a US citizen, having done everything required of us, and then seeing a show like this? Not at all... my husband and I are secure and happy in the knowledge that we did everything legally, no matter how costly and lengthy the process was, and we know this show means nothing... it just isn't as easy as the show's advertising would make it seem. The show's premise makes all the people involved a joke, but it does nothing to the INS process of legally marrying and staying married to a US citizen. The whole thing is one.big.pathetic.joke. And I feel the same no matter what country the immigrant is from.

I may have lost the point I was trying to make in there, since I see I started to ramble... But hopefully, I did make my point in there somewhere.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2700244;
    Well, part of it is that (I know I am going to open a can of worms here) at least for me is that I get a little pissed off at paying with my taxes for free educations, medicare, disability for people that are here illegally and some (not all) really scam the system. I get pissed off when illegals hold rallies demanding the same rights as citizens and people who are here legally and at the same time fly the flag of their home country. Then to have a reality tv show more or less use the idea of an immigant marrying a citizen to stay here in this country sorta grates.
    That's it exactly Bearcata! Also I think that if the people were Austrailian, Canadian etc., they wouldn't be coming over in the thousands. I also don't think that they would be here demanding everything for free. I wouldn't go to Austrailia and then expect their government to pay for all my medical care,living expenses etc. They would ship me home so fast my head would spin.
    I know illegals want a better life but they should do it legally just like many have done before them. In my own personal experience, when I had my daughter she was in the NICU for 13 days. We had insurance but even with that our bill was close to 5,000 dollars. The girl that had her son next to my daughter was illegal and she paid nothing because she was on Medi-cal. She was very nice and I am not trying to point fingers because it was a very emotional situation and time for everyone. At the same time it does grate a bit because we could really not afford it. But we have a wonderful 3 1/2 year old and we wouldn't change a thing.
    So living it and hearing about it are vastly different. It's not their nationality it's the fact that they are illegal.
    I want to make it perfectly clear I am not picking on one race or another. I am just trying to explain where I am coming from.
    I just think this a bad idea for a show and I can't believe TPTB at some network think this should be on TV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast