+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

Re: 'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2784804;
    Time to let this thread fall to the next page!
    Amen to that.

Shhh, let's all just quietly sneak out the back door of this thread and lock it behind us.

I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2700211;

I actually live in Canada, and although all countries have their immigration issues, I get the feeling that we don't deal with the same woes as the USA. Is it a National Security thing? Or immigration in general? Would you feel the same if it were an Australian immigrant? A Canadian ?

I'm seriously curious
    I wonder about that, too. I think some of it has to do with the ridiculous publicity -- and patriotism bordering on nationalism -- that the U.S. has given itself as "the greatest country in the world," "the most powerful nation on earth," and "THE land of opportunity." Immigrants come here with unrealistic expectations. Contrary to popular belief, we don't have streets paved in gold and an endless supply of job openings. And really, after having seen Sicko, I'm convinced that there are better countries to live in. Sure, no place is perfect, but the U.S. is not the end-all, do-all, be-all that the "Love It or Leave It" types portray us as.

On the other hand, it is a great place to come to for a free ride. For example, as other posters have mentioned, those of us in the run-of-the-mill middle working class pay taxes that go for health care -- that if we make more than a certain amount of money, we can't access those services we pay for. We're going bankrupt trying to pay for medical services that our insurance won't cover sufficiently, and for which we really can't afford the out-of-pocket copayment, while some line-jumping illegal who has never put a CENT into the system, somehow manages to get on Medicare, Medi-Cal, and/or County Medical Service and gets whatever he/she needs without seeing so much as a scrap of paperwork.

Yes, our immigration system is in bad need of reform. But until that's done, the wannabe immigrants can do as my great-grandparents did -- suck it up, fill out the necessary paperwork, AND WAIT THEIR TURN.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Yes, our immigration system is in bad need of reform. But until that's done, the wannabe immigrants can do as my great-grandparents did -- suck it up, fill out the necessary paperwork, AND WAIT THEIR TURN
    easier said than done. the immigration policies are really wrongly set up. even top notch lawyers are confused

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345