+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

Re: 'Who Wants to Marry a U.S. Citizen?'

These were all very insightful replies, and I think I actually learned a little bit about the immigration climate in your country. Given what I've learned, why anyone would attempt to fly this particular flag in mainstream media - is beyond me. I don't think we have near the same types of issue that you do though. (Which is probably why I said I'd probably watch it before really knowing what I was talking about).

Would you watch if each participant was verified to be completely self-sufficient. Not neccesarily a millionaire or anything, but a hunky foreign bachelor who had a sizeable savings account and a good profession/income, like a doctor or something? Again just curious if it would make a difference... I wouldn't want to see anyone (immigrant or not) who would end up being a leech on the lady or the government.

I can see it being reeeeeally hard to know if he had actual feelings for the gal though, no matter his income or profession - the premise is still to get a VISA.

Hmmm... good discussion, thanks so much for your replies

And thanks, Nemeses, for your insight into the process - they certainly make it seem a whole lot easier huh?
    Last edited by dodie430; 11-30-2007 at 11:26 PM.

[QUOTE=dodie430;2700550;]
    Would you watch if each participant was verified to be completely self-sufficient. Not neccesarily a millionaire or anything, but a hunky foreign bachelor who had a sizeable savings account and a good profession/income, like a doctor or something? Again just curious if it would make a difference... I wouldn't want to see anyone (immigrant or not) who would end up being a leech on the lady or the government.
    QUOTE]

You know you gave me food for thought. When I read the whole premise for the show I just assumed it would be "illegals" and for the most part that would be the non-english speaking, non-educated people. It never even occured to me that they might be just what you suggested. Shame on me for jumping to that conclusion. You know you get caught up on all the stuff that makes you mad and sometimes you don't always get it right. Thanks Dodie for an eye-opener for me.
    I still probably won't watch the show no matter how it is presented though. It just doesn't seem right to even bring into existence with the way people on both sides of this issue feel about it. To me it is just adding fuel to the fire.
    I enjoyed the discussion also,thanks guys!!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I saw the clip on TMZ on tv and i thought it was a joke. To me it still is.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I have to agree the clip is pretty cheesy, like it was done in a motel or something...lol

Still, it's been interesting discussing it

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2700550;
    Would you watch if each participant was verified to be completely self-sufficient. Not neccesarily a millionaire or anything, but a hunky foreign bachelor who had a sizeable savings account and a good profession/income, like a doctor or something? Again just curious if it would make a difference...
    Good questions, dodie, and interesting discussions, all.

I think, for me, it doesn't matter how much or how little the participant has. For me, it's just a question of a really bad tv show concept. It's more of what is on the show than who is on the show. I guess I'm just getting so tired of networks continually trying to feed us (us as in the viewers) shows that suck out more and more of our ethics and intelligence and expect us to buy that there is some realism involved.

I enjoy tv, and I make no apologies for it... it's still the best entertainment value for your money by and large. And in return for some of that entertainment, I'm willing to allow the networks to toss some really ignorant things my way here and there. Whether I'll watch them is up to me, but I accept that there will always be bad ideas presented as entertainment. And truth be told, some of the worst 'reality' or non-reality shows help pay for some really fine shows. But there is a line of aired ignorance that I'm not willing to cross in the name of entertainment. Shows that exploit children are an example. A show like this is another example. And I have no respect for the people who come up with dumb ideas like this, because they start with the presumption that all tv viewers are idiots who'll buy anything they put on tv just because it's on tv. They don't have a creative cell in their heads, they just look in the personals ads, point to something and say "let's make a show of that!". If they can't even start at Point A willing to even pretend that the viewer might have some common sense and intelligence, then I'm not willing to give them a chance to get to Point B.

So, no... to me it doesn't matter who the participants are, it's the show's concept that I dislike.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie

This whole concept sounds really fishy to me. I did find a poll someone posted about it on pollsb, where they're trying to gauge how many people would actually be interested in watching this reality if it did air eventually. The results are quite surprising.

I cant put links here so if you want to vote, send pm and ill send you the url.

thanks...

god be damned you pay 10 cents extra in tax for that cheeseburger at mcdonalds. of course i know this issue stems far deeper than that, but borders are just imaginary lines that people put themselves in ; we're all the same people.

As a US citizen who married a Canadian citizen and went through all the crap of getting him status... I now know how fake reality tv can be. When you apply as a couple there can be no bs at all about the marriage being one of convenience...in order for the immigrant to gain citizenship. It is a tough, LONG process and they investigate EVERYTHING. A show with this premise would almost automatically remove one's eligibility for citizenship (or green card, which happens to come first) status. I just can't believe they think that they call pull this crap... its almost funny how fake this show is. The US gov't (Department of Homeland Security (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)) is going to rip them a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;2708759;
    As a US citizen who married a Canadian citizen and went through all the crap of getting him status... I now know how fake reality tv can be. When you apply as a couple there can be no bs at all about the marriage being one of convenience...in order for the immigrant to gain citizenship. It is a tough, LONG process and they investigate EVERYTHING. A show with this premise would almost automatically remove one's eligibility for citizenship (or green card, which happens to come first) status. I just can't believe they think that they call pull this crap... its almost funny how fake this show is. The US gov't (Department of Homeland Security (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)) is going to rip them a new one.
    Finally something DHS can do, police realtiy tv. Please save the viewers from this bomb.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I married my son's father and went through the status for a couple years. They were rough and asked alot of questions nearly implying I had married him only to give him status, not for any other reason. If they are marrying off people on a show stating that exact reason of just getting papers....tee hee, they are going to be in for it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast