+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everest: Beyond The Limit 2007

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Everest: Beyond The Limit 2007

Any trekkers out there? Armchair mountaineers? This is your show.

Everest: Beyond the Limit 2007 : Discovery Channel

We're two episodes in. Hope to get some conversation going.
    Everest: Beyond the Limit airs Tuesday nights at 10:00pm, on Discovery Channel.

Re: Everest: Beyond The Limit 2007

I'm glad you posted this. I keep meaning to watch this show but always forget about it and never knew the time.

FORT Newbie

Argh, I missed the first one.

I can't believe this Betsy person wants to climb Everest but doesn't know how to put on her crampons. How (in)experienced is she? Does she think this is a joke? She'll get a reminder of what's at stake when she sees some of the bodies scattered around the mountain. And when I say "scattered," that means, for some bodies one part is here, another part is way over there...

I saw most of the last season. According to some sources, Russsell Brice, the expedition leader, is a little controvesial, but of course that's just one side of the story.

Betsy has been mountain climbing before, but not for ten years. You would think she would have brushed up on advances and changes in gear, especially considering the boom mountaineering has experienced in the past ten years. Putting crampons on backwards, that's just nuts. If ever there were a basic question, I'd say that's it.

I didn't realize there was controversy surrounding Russell. Personally, I love him. I'd feel safe with him running the show.

Thanks for dropping in!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2654534;
    I didn't realize there was controversy surrounding Russell. Personally, I love him. I'd feel safe with him running the show.
    Yeah, that's how I'd feel too, if all I knew were just what I heard on the show! There have been some rather negative views on him, and this is even besides the David Sharp incident last year. I'll try to find the info on this. I want to stress that I don't know what the "consensus" on Brice is, if there even is a consensus.

I love this show. I'm glad they included the film crew in the storyline, because it seemed kind of weird to profile the climbers struggling in life-or-death conditions while ignoring the people filming them who are doing the same thing. Same with the sherpas, although the producers are doing a much better job this season explaining why the sherpas can climb higher and summit more often (genetic adapation).
    But the show is a great example that reality-TV producers don't need to introduce a lot of gimmicks or fakery to make something watchable.

That's true, candor, another reason why I think this is the ultimate reality show.

ThreeTrees, I would feel safe with Brice, and not just from what I've seen of him on TV. What happened last year happens, and it very sad, and very tragic, but it comes with the territory, literally. At the time, I thought it was needless and unfair to try to attach blame for David Sharp's death on Russell. I still feel that way, but that's just my opinion.

So far, with the exception of Mogens, it doesn't look like anyone's going to summit. Hope Besty's okay, she does have an infectious spirit.

Well, there goes Betsy. Not a surprise at all. I don't understand how someone can talk about their dream of summiting Everest, they can "visualize" themselves standing on the top, the dream is in their heart... not to mention the thousands upon thousands of dollars they invested...and they don't do their homework. I just don't get that.

I hope Dave Tait is successful in his double traverse attempt.

Another beautiful, spellbinding episode.

+ Reply to Thread