+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phenomenon: Uri Gellar, Criss Angel and some others magically annoy us!

FORT Fan

Re: Phenomenon: Uri Gellar, Criss Angel and some others magically annoy us!

Quote Originally Posted by kdelarosa22;2654042;
    YES! I cannot believe the Amazing Randi hasnt shown up on any cable new shows.
    I haven't heard of the Amazing Randi, but I wonder why they didn't choose David Blaine?

Premium Member

I don't know how many episodes of this show have now aired, but I watched it for the second time last night.

Wow, it's still pathetic.

I saw the video clip of last week's confrontation with Criss and the contestant, and what happened, did they neuter Criss this week - he suddenly could only find complimentary things to say about the contestants? Disappointing.

Especially the paintball dude. If that wasn't an obvious fake - here's a hint, next time you want people to shoot you with a paintball gun, do not use laser pointers - those shots were not hitting you anywhere NEAR where the girls were aiming and if the audience couldn't tell, then the fact the girls kept telling us did not help the illusion whatsoever. And when they did finally manage to hit you, was anyone surprised that you had 'predicted' the locations? I mean, hello, we've seen how movie stunts are done and are familiar with blood squibs, so paint squibs weren't too hard to fathom. Ugh, that was painful to sit through.

I wasn't paying much attention to the snake jar guy, but I got the impression after he was bitten, he ended up reaching right back into that same jar to retrieve the necklace?

Why was I sitting there thinking the whole time that every jar of 'hydrochloric acid' was actually filled with water, and it was the balled up pieces of aluminum he dropped in each bottle that was actually providing the smoke effect? I mean, when one of the final three jars of liquid did not immediately start a chemical reaction, he didn't seemed worried enough as he was about to drink the other one, in fact, all he did was throw more aluminum into the liquid - nice.

Sheesh, these acts have a long way to go to convince me they are phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;2654664;
    I haven't heard of the Amazing Randi, but I wonder why they didn't choose David Blaine?
    The Amazing Randi is a cantankerous old buzzard (I say that with great respect ) who has spent many years debunking so-called pyschics. He and Uri Gellar have a very long, very contentious relationship--Randi calling Gellar out for the fraud that he is, and Gellar suing Randi to try to shut Randi up. Randi has a standing offer of $1,000,000 to any psychic who can demonstrate any real ability under controlled circumstances.

The Amazing Randi
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mozzz;2656074;
    I don't know how many episodes of this show have now aired, but I watched it for the second time last night.

Wow, it's still pathetic.

I saw the video clip of last week's confrontation with Criss and the contestant, and what happened, did they neuter Criss this week - he suddenly could only find complimentary things to say about the contestants? Disappointing.

Especially the paintball dude. If that wasn't an obvious fake - here's a hint, next time you want people to shoot you with a paintball gun, do not use laser pointers - those shots were not hitting you anywhere NEAR where the girls were aiming and if the audience couldn't tell, then the fact the girls kept telling us did not help the illusion whatsoever. And when they did finally manage to hit you, was anyone surprised that you had 'predicted' the locations? I mean, hello, we've seen how movie stunts are done and are familiar with blood squibs, so paint squibs weren't too hard to fathom. Ugh, that was painful to sit through.

I wasn't paying much attention to the snake jar guy, but I got the impression after he was bitten, he ended up reaching right back into that same jar to retrieve the necklace?

Why was I sitting there thinking the whole time that every jar of 'hydrochloric acid' was actually filled with water, and it was the balled up pieces of aluminum he dropped in each bottle that was actually providing the smoke effect? I mean, when one of the final three jars of liquid did not immediately start a chemical reaction, he didn't seemed worried enough as he was about to drink the other one, in fact, all he did was throw more aluminum into the liquid - nice.

Sheesh, these acts have a long way to go to convince me they are phenomenal.
    I completely agree with your whole post. These acts are so lame- they are pretty easy to figure out. I was laughing at the paint ball guy as well- so stupid! Except for the girl and the fire. Anyone have any ideas how she did that? The only one's I'm impressed with are the random ones where the audience is involved and the contestant matches their responses.

It's a great show to have on while you do other things, but it doesn't hold my attention enough to just sit there and watch it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Avon Lake illusionist says NBC pushed changes
    Steve Fogarty | The Chronicle-Telegram

‘Phenomenon’ contestant’s routine hurt by late change

Although she didn’t exactly wow famed illusionist-judges Uri Geller and Criss Angel on Wednesday night’s episode of NBC’s “Phenomenon,” Avon Lake’s Angela Funovits said that didn’t bother her as much as network officials asking her and others to alter their routines before airtime.

“It really tested my ability to think on my feet and act like nothing had happened,” Funovits, 20, said by phone Thursday morning from Los Angeles — less than 12 hours after her feats of magic failed to earn the same praise as her earlier performances did.

“I can’t really go into detail because we can’t reveal any methods or secrets, but I can say that the performance and the effect I had planned were supposed to be different,” Funovits said. “It wasn’t quite working, so I had to go with something else” after NBC officials urged a change.

“Sometimes, it was just hours before we were to go live, and I was still making adjustments. It was pretty stressful.”

Funovits is one of five finalists to advance to next week’s finale, where a winner will be awarded $250,000 as determined by votes of callers and online participants.

Performing first on Wednesday’s program, the model and actress crowned Miss Teen Cleveland in 2004 pulled off her illusion’s major setpiece when an instant photo she took of “Extra” co-host Dayna Devon showed the name “Brent” appearing above Devon’s head.

Brent was the previously unidentified person Devon was thinking of.

But Geller said the routine “failed to mystify me,” while Angel said Funovits didn’t engage the audience.

A 2005 Avon Lake High grad and medical student, Funovits said there were various reasons behind the changes.

“They were pushing things to have more of an element of danger and to be more visual. Mentalism is inherently not that visual.”

A mentalist is defined as someone with the ability to know not only what another person is thinking, but to be able to influence that other person’s thoughts.

The daughter of William and Fong Funovits, Angela said she wasn’t the only contestant asked to alter their act prior to airtime.

“One of the other contestants had to make much bigger changes. It was 180 degrees,” she said.

She added that the changes sought were a healthy challenge. “It pushed me, but that’s the risk you take with live TV. You have to adjust.”

The experience had a silver lining, she said, in that it resulted in the competing illusionists working together.

“Everybody helped each other out,” Funovits said. “It was great to see how everybody supported each other. We’ve become a second family, and no matter what happens, I’ve made lifelong friends here.”

Funovits said she couldn’t reveal her final illusion for next week’s program, but she said it will be more visual in nature and involve the audience more.

She said she has become homesick since going to L.A. for the program in early October.

“This hotel room has become my home. I really miss my family, home-cooked meals and my dog begging for food,” she said. “It’ll be good to get back there.”
    I didn't like her performance Wednesday night...I liked Mike Super's performance (the red motorbike appearing, etc) but on a purely superficial level Eran Raven is pretty gorgeous to look at so I wouldn't mind him winning.

Of course, NO ONE could compare to Criss Angel
    Last edited by bbnbama; 11-17-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fan

Even though I swore I wouldn't watch this again, I keep watching it! LOL I was really disgusted that they kept the spoon bending guy over the other one (they are both lame- neither one will win) only because he used one of Uri's old tricks. I find him boring and not very impressive.

Gosh, I didn't even watch the last episode. I may watch next week, but clearly it's not as good as I had hoped for.

My daughter loves this show, because of Crissssss. I enjoy it, it gives me a break from my reality anyway.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;2677233;
    My daughter loves this show, because of Crissssss. I enjoy it, it gives me a break from my reality anyway.
    Your daughter has wonderful taste mom2!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12