+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 119 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: Keeping Up With the Kardashians

FORT Fogey

Re: Keeping Up With the Kardashians

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to hear that the viewership is seriously declining and maybe they'll have to find real jobs?
    I know they have stores, but seriously, do they run themselves? I have only one store and the buying alone is a huge task.
    Chris is a superior business woman and I am sure their retail business is like any other in that it is run by managers who report either directly to Chris or a general manager. She has people in place. The girls are just figure heads and appear in the stores for the filming.

They will never have to get real jobs because what they have earned so far has been invested and will continue to be used to make more.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 12-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.

I have to wonder if their popularity wanes, will their stores suffer as well. It's not an easy climate out there for retail - you can look at the big box stores that are struggling and see that, not to mention the smallers ones that are hanging on by their fingernails. I wonder, if "the masses" turn on them, can the stores survive? You rarely see customers in there when they're filming and to think what their rent must be just boggles my mind. Adding payroll on top of that gives them, what my husband would call, a big nut to crack - meaning a lot of overhead before you see any profit.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

I just saw the GMA interview with Kris Humphries, and all I have to say is: What was ABC expecting him to say on national tv? They know as well as anyone else that he is prevented from talking about Kim or the marriage PERIOD. It has been widely circulated that he signed a prenup that does not allow him to answer any of the many questions that were thrown at him on GMA this morning.

ABC should be ashamed of themselves for even having him on GMA if that was their only reason for inviting him and his mother to be there....trying to get him to violate his prenup by throwing question after question at him about Kim and the marriage!!!! I highly doubt that Kris H or his mother would have been asked to do the show in the first place if it weren't for the pending divorce and the aftermath. It sounded like he handled the interview as well as he could - given the circumstances - and did his best to deflect the conversation away from the things that he is NOT ALLOWED to discuss. Shame on ABC and GMA, because it did not seem like they were the least bit interested in Kris' charity work or anything else that did not directly pertain to the Kardashians.

The funny thing is there are some bloggers slammimg Kris H because he kept steering away from that MINEFIELD. I guess they actually expected him to go on national tv and break his prenup by dissing Kim Kardashian. They shouldn't blame Kris H for that. They should blame ABC and GMA for what many are calling a boring interview.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 12-09-2011 at 03:46 PM.

FORT Fogey

Just read in the paper that Kris Jenner is going to be one of the judges at the next Miss America pageant as is Mark Ballas of DWTS.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion, Little Protectors Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Chris is a superior business woman ....
    Personally, I think that's a stretch. Take away the marriage to a rich and famous lawyer, take away Kim's sex tape, take away the current marriage to a US Olympic star, and Kris Jenner is just like the mothers on Toddlers and Tiaras, trying to parlay her daughter's looks and personalities into fame and fortune. Her business strategy is to pimp her children. Sure, she's been successful at it, and maybe pimping your children has become a legitimate business, but I just can't equate her to true business women like Ursula Burns or Ginni Rometty (to name a few).
    Minney and Debb70 like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    Personally, I think that's a stretch. Take away the marriage to a rich and famous lawyer, take away Kim's sex tape, take away the current marriage to a US Olympic star, and Kris Jenner is just like the mothers on Toddlers and Tiaras, trying to parlay her daughter's looks and personalities into fame and fortune. Her business strategy is to pimp her children. Sure, she's been successful at it, and maybe pimping your children has become a legitimate business, but I just can't equate her to true business women like Ursula Burns or Ginni Rometty (to name a few).
    I think it also depends on how you define excellence in business. If it's all about the bottom line (pardon the pun, given Kim's chief claim to fame), then, yes, Kris has made millions. If you think excellence is about more than just how much money a business makes but also includes factors such as the quality and usefulness of its products, how much what the business produces actually contributes to the world in general, how innovative a business' products are, how a business treats its employees and customers etc., there are other business women and businesses that are superior to Kim and her family empire. As you pointed out, the larger part of Kris' business empire consists of how much money she can make out of her family being famous for, well, not that much. The only one in the family who's actually famous for having accomplished something based on an unusual ability would be Bruce, since he did win an Olympic gold medal in the decathalon, which does take a great deal of talent, training, and effort.

FORT Fogey

Honestly, I think that in those terms, the unusual ability used to accomplish something would be Kris' marketing skills. There have been many people with the athletic skills Bruce had, though yes Bruce did a great job of marketing those into fame. But marketing great athletic skills into fame is rather common. Kris on the other hand has built an empire on nothing more than being pretty daughters of a notorious person. The Kardashians have proven to have more longevity than the Hiltons, Nicole Richie, Britney Gastineau, or any of the other girls who became famous for being famous. Is it a skill that has made the world a better place? No. But Warner Brothers, Universal, McDonalds, and the marketers of the pet rock really haven't made the world a better place either.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Honestly, I think that in those terms, the unusual ability used to accomplish something would be Kris' marketing skills. There have been many people with the athletic skills Bruce had, though yes Bruce did a great job of marketing those into fame. But marketing great athletic skills into fame is rather common. Kris on the other hand has built an empire on nothing more than being pretty daughters of a notorious person. The Kardashians have proven to have more longevity than the Hiltons, Nicole Richie, Britney Gastineau, or any of the other girls who became famous for being famous. Is it a skill that has made the world a better place? No. But Warner Brothers, Universal, McDonalds, and the marketers of the pet rock really haven't made the world a better place either.
    I think that Kris Jenner has an unfair advantage in that she knows so many of the important people in Hollywood. The number of contacts she has that can get her on tv shows is pathetic. She pimps the friends too. She uses Kathy Lee Gifford shamelessly. She wheels her way onto those shows and the host are too polite to her. They don't treat her like the user she is. They should not force their audience to applaud this woman. They treat he like a loving caring mother. PLEASE! It's false advertisment, but she gets it because she pretends to be friends with these people. I don't see it as her skills being that good, but that she is crafty in presenting her facade.
    PIMguy likes this.

FORT Fogey

I would argue that there haven't been thousands or even hundreds of people capable of winning an Olympic decathalon, but there are plenty of people--as you pointed out--who are capable of marketing fairly unimportant products. I would also argue that some film studios, however, have green-lighted films that actually have artistic merit and have made a positive difference in the way people see and understand the world. I can't think of anything Kris has marketed that has done that. So, it is possible to make a product that makes money but still has merit beyond that--and the old school movie moguls, some of them at least, actually cared about that.

And honestly, she could have used those marketing skills to market something other than her daughters' fame if she truly were a superior business woman. She's made it clear--said it, in fact--that her major goal is to make a lot of money, so they can all retire early and do whatever they want. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't exactly scream that she's concerned about anyone beyond her family or that she's especially concerned with how she/they make that money. If it involves Playboy spreads or sex tapes or marketing her kids' weddings or birthdays as specials, it's all the same to Kris, and often, when business people are that focused on the money as the final goal, they don't make the best choices for themselves or their consumers. Personally, I wouldn't buy a product with the Kardashian name attached to it precisely because of the way Kris has turned her family into a reality show industry without much of a thought as to what it might do to them long term or encouraging them to come up with real marketable skills of their own, beyond having the last name Kardashian.

FORT Fogey

Kardashians are getting to my too much point. I do not like when stars start getting too big. For me it makes them become irritating. I am feeling the same way about Chelsea Handler. I loved her show, but now she is just so full of herself and everywhere I look that I cannot stomach her anymore. I found the Kardashians interesting, but now it is just plain overkill.

I find it funny that the one I thought was the most annoying, Khloe, is the one that I think is making the best choices right now. She puts her marriage first, and I think that the other two need to quit letting their mother pimp them out nonstop, and I could live completely peaceful if I never had to see Kris Jenner's face anywhere in the media ever again.
    ness, Minney, Moontat and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread