+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

Re: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

So, aside from this current 'Next Iron Chef' contest....

How did the original Iron Chefs America get selected?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2651359;
    I think the main thing that got Chris booted is that he cannot handle the pressure. How many times has he come close to cracking?
    . . . especially when he tries to push the camera away or does that "cover the lens" thing with his hand. Ummm, hello! This is an audition for a TV show with multiple cameras!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2652832;
    So, aside from this current 'Next Iron Chef' contest....

How did the original Iron Chefs America get selected?
    Good question:
    Masaharu Morimoto was the "crossover," as he was on the original Japanese Iron Chef and owns a restaurant in the States (New York, I think). And the first Iron Chef America's competitor was Hiroyuki Sakai, one of the Japanese Iron Chefs.

The other Iron Chefs for the American show -- Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batali -- were chosen, I believe, for their Food Network recognizability and instant draw for viewers. Then Wolfgang Puck disappeared (probably too busy, I don't remember his competing much in Season One), and he was replaced with Cat Cora. I don't know how she was chosen, but my husband calls her "the hottie."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2653166;
    Good question:
    Masaharu Morimoto was the "crossover," as he was on the original Japanese Iron Chef and owns a restaurant in the States (New York, I think). And the first Iron Chef America's competitor was Hiroyuki Sakai, one of the Japanese Iron Chefs.
    Yes, Morimoto was the one Iron Chef America that made sense to me, since they were making an American version of Iron Chef. And yes, his restaurant is in NY.

It was the others I couldn't understand. Of Puck, Flay, and Batali, the only one who had any recognition factor for me when the show began was Puck, and I can't stand his cooking style, so it didn't draw me in as a viewer. I didn't start watching ICA until late last year, and then only because when it airs here, it's at a time when nothing else worth watching is on, so I'd leave the show on in the background. I still can't say I enjoy the show, I'm afraid it suffers too much for me in comparison to the original Iron Chef series. But I still catch a few episodes now and then when nothing is on.

But I was curious about how the existing Iron Chefs America were selected, so I appreciate the info, Ellen
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

On the Iron Chef America on Sunday the 18th the contestent who wins "The Next Iron Chef" will be featured.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: the original Iron Chefs, I can't say that I LOVE any of them. Mario is sort of greasy and sweaty looking and he makes me cringe (not in a good way) when he is making food. Cat? Just do not like her cold fish personality. Bobby? Too cocky by far. Morimoto? I actually like his cooking style but since he speaks another language its difficult to get to know his personality.

What I really like about this contest is that we are getting to truly know the chefs and when they are featured on an Iron Chef we will have a background to pull for them (or their opponents if you hate them).

Can we just replace all of the original ones with ones off this show?

Actually Morimoto in is Philadelphia, PA as well. The restuartant in Phily was the first one. Food network did a special on it called "Raw." A few of my friends went on a trip to Phily just to go to his restuartant. They got the "Omakase" where he chooses what they ate. It was 12 courses of the best food they have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mertii;2653922;
    Actually Morimoto in is Philadelphia, PA as well. The restuartant in Phily was the first one. Food network did a special on it called "Raw." A few of my friends went on a trip to Phily just to go to his restuartant. They got the "Omakase" where he chooses what they ate. It was 12 courses of the best food they have ever had.
    I am so jealous. The only famous chef I've had cook for me was Emeril in New Orleans (before he was famous ... he was MUCH thinner).

Now he was a sweetie and came out and introduced himself to the wedding party I was in and even altered a dish for me. Yummy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2653744;
    . . . Morimoto? I actually like his cooking style but since he speaks another language its difficult to get to know his personality. . .
    I LOVE Morimoto -- he actually has a good sense of humor, and I have no idea why they still use a voiceover interpreter for him -- when I've heard him speaking in the background (listening really hard!), he's speaking English. Accented, yes -- but very easy to comprehend. I saw him on Martha Stewart; his English was fine; he was funny -- and no voiceover interpreter!

So please -- more Morimoto, and no more VO interpreter!

Just a bit of Trivia..
    Bobby Flay is married to Stephanie March who used to be on Law and Order: Special Victims Unit as the A.D.A
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

+ Reply to Thread