+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

Re: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

The challenge is about innovation and they are asked to use all these tools, techniques, and chemicals. Most of the chefs hate the idea but go along with it.

Click to see Spoiler:

Elimination judging:

Sanchez is told to stop cooking so much Latin food and he is safe.

Morou is not making an impression with his dishes and needs to turn it up and he is safe.

Simon isn't innovative enough, overall skill level pulls him through and he is safe too.

Besh they loved his duck, gets dinged for not using enough innovation. He is safe.

Consentino love his razor clam and shaving cream dish. Didn't like his salad. His clam dish was good and was what gives him the win in the challenge.

Down to Gavin and Jill as the bottom two. Hated Gavins soup "tasted like dirty mushroom water" and his dish was the least favorite of the day. They hated Jill's salad. Gavin is told he is inconsistent but he is safe and Jill goes home.. there won't be a new female Iron Chef.

In spoiler tags for those who haven't seen the show yet and want to be surprised.

FORT Newbie

I was afraid of that, based on the first episode. Ah well...I don't know that I'll get to try all of these chefs' restaurants, but I'm certainly impressed enough with all of them that I'll give the places a try if I'm in their respective cities. Looking forward to seeing the episode...and rooting for Besh from here on out.

Thanks for the update--I used to live in CA, so I'm used to knowing what happens on shows three hours before I actually get to watch them.

The 2 women gone. Dang!

One thing I found odd. The serviche, I know I am spelling it wrong, the technique where you vacuum pack the meat and then boil it. Hung used that in practically every challenge on Top Chef 3. In fact the other chefs commented on that. So why is it these contestents for Iron Chef act as if none of them have ever heard or used that technique????
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think it was more that they didn't approve of that technique. Sort of food snobbery in a way. That's how I took it because Symon.. Simon? Said that he has spent his whole cooking life taking chemicals out of food and now they are asking him to put it back.

Probably some of them had never heard of some of the techniques but I think a lot of it is standard now and they just don't use it/approve of it.

First thing I thought of was Marcel when I saw that Zantham Gum. I wasn't too impressed with this episode. I'm surprised both women were the first 2 to go. Chef Sanchez is getting on my nerves too with his going over the time. But he seems like a very talented chef. I like Chef Kaysen. I thought for sure he was going home last night though. I'm glad he didn't. I'm not crazy about Chefs Besh or Symon.

I'm trying to think of the one that I'd like to watch in the IC rotation and I think it's Besh. I assume the IC studio has air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2612883;
    One thing I found odd. The serviche, I know I am spelling it wrong, the technique where you vacuum pack the meat and then boil it. Hung used that in practically every challenge on Top Chef 3. In fact the other chefs commented on that. So why is it these contestents for Iron Chef act as if none of them have ever heard or used that technique????
    I think two reasons... It's not practical for an every day restaurant experience as the timing is so key. You'd need a sous who just monitored that and nothing else. Also, although the technique is old, it's a relatively new fad, so the more experienced chefs here (unless they are classical French) wouldn't be expected to be jumping on it.

eta, "Sous vide" means vacuum. Ceviche is a technique of "cooking" fish in an acidic marinade.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 10-15-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Davie and Kaysen (that's Gavin, right? The bottom two from last night?) are the youngest and least experienced so I don't see them winning or even going really far in this. Aaron and Morou are too niched and I don't think that's what they are looking for either. I think that IC is searching for somebody to fit a particular category that isn't already filled by one of the current IC's. That's why I'm fairly certain that it will come down to Besh and Symon.

Could be totally off and probably am but that's my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2612997;
    I think two reasons... It's not practical for an every day restaurant experience as the timing is so key. You'd need a sous who just monitored that and nothing else. Also, although the technique is old, it's a relatively new fad, so the more experienced chefs here (unless they are classical French) wouldn't be expected to be jumping on it.

eta, "Sous vide" means vacuum. Ceviche is a technique of "cooking" fish in an acidic marinade.
    Totally, thanks for the info. I absolutely could not distinguish the sounds of the words of the two techniques. Also thanks for the spelling in cause I ever want to compete in America's Most Smartest Chef.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2612883;
    The 2 women gone. Dang!

i think the one they had on last nights challenge was a newer machine that does the job for sous vide. the one that hung use is more of a manual process.

+ Reply to Thread