+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

Wow, Chef Forgione makes the press in a not-so-flattering way! Apparently, screaming at his staff is the background ambiance at his restaurant. ....uncomfortable......

Why I Got Kicked Out of a Restaurant on Saturday Night - NYTimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4111304;
    Wow, Chef Forgione makes the press in a not-so-flattering way! Apparently, screaming at his staff is the background ambiance at his restaurant. ....uncomfortable......

What's wrong with this guy? I only watched about the last 3 episodes of the show so perhaps I didn't get to know this guy well enough, but I didn't care for the guy. I'm really not surprised about this at all.

The incident happened in May of this year. When was the finale of The Next Iron Chef taped?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4111304;

Wow! If the situation was as described, I say good for that guy for going in the kitchen and asking Forgione to quiet down.

My husband and I once ate a place where the husband and wife worked together. We loved the food, we loved the ambiance, but the pair bickered the whole time we were there (we could hear them in the kitchen), and it ruined the meal.

I had been thinking that if Canora won the spot as Iron Chef, that at least it might be amusing seeing him run around frantically and yell for misplaced objects.

I'm disappointed to hear that Forgione acted as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4111014;
    My understanding was that this was a one year contract guaranteed then if they're popular they got to stay.

It was understandable to have Symon as say a fourth chef, a la Kobe in the Japanese version. Most of the time in the Japanese version, people would choose one of the three main ones (French, Japanese, or Chinese) but sometimes the chefs (at least one time it was the host himself) would choose Kobe.

Personally, I kinda wish they had gone to that traditional style - three or four chefs with specific styles. Now, it's just four or five chefs with various styles in each one.

I know the original attempt to do an American version actually attempted the same style as the Japanese one (Had I think Mario - Italian, Morimoto - Japanese/Chinese, and I think Flay - American) but it didn't do as well. Of course that could've been because William Shatner was the host, and it didn't have any "continuing the legacy of my uncle" schtick that the current one does. (BTW, as far as I know Kandagawa and the host of the American version are not related, and Kandagawa was actually an actor playing the role of the chairman).
    Quite right. Kandagawa was a successful actor in Japan, and he was playing a role just as Mark Dascascos, a martial artist and former DWTS contestant is.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4111473;
    Quite right. Kandagawa was a successful actor in Japan, and he was playing a role just as Mark Dascascos, a martial artist and former DWTS contestant is.
    I also saw Mark on the SciFi channel one night in a remake of "I am Legend" (a very bad remake. This was before DWTS. I was like hey, that's the chairman!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4111473;
    I personally would LOVE to see Kandagawa as the Phantom, which apparently that is a role he's done. Of course, it'd most likely be in Japanese (he can speak some English, but not well), but it'd be interesting.

I think Mark does a better job as the host than Shatner did, and the "Good Eats" star (sorry, late here and name is slipping at the moment) that is the commentator for the show does an excellent job as well. They are very close to the original group who did the Japanese version IMHO, and feel that along with an overall good choice of chefs has made the show a success.

As far as the winner this season - I have only seen him compete in this show a couple of times. I will have to see him actually compete in the stadium before I can give a full opinion here. Hopefully, he'll be better than what we've seen with the current article above.

BTW, anyone who's been chatting with me on the original Iron Chef - I meant Takeshi Kaga, not Kandagawa. I think the latter is actually a bad guy (well not really, but more of a foil) for Kitchen Stadium.

Except I think they did a story line where the chairman actually died and the son/nephew continued the legacy, I'd love to see Kaga return to actually host one of the American versions of the show. They could have a translator, but I do think Kaga knows enough English to actually give (or learn and give) a brief speech to the contestants.

I thought the chairman had died too!

I watched my dvr'd show last night after I ran into a commercial that said who would be on tomorrow nights show, the winner of this season's TNIC. I have to say I was very impressed with Forgione and the foods he made and I thought he was wonderful with the chefs helping him. Since Tsai was eliminated I didn't care who won, but I hope what I saw last night continues as I thought Forgione did a great job.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

I thought Forgione did a wonderful job on the finale. He stayed calm and focused, was able to direct his help, and still be able to talk to the hosts. In a interview that I had read he was asked if he felt he was portrayed properly, his comment "He not as quiet as they made him be". I think he'll show some personality on IC. Looking forward to his first show tomorrow.. I hope he wins!

Wait...how did I miss that both of these guys are from New York....first names of Mark and that they are both Italian chefs? Sheesh and look no Mario in the line up, this just had to be a coincidence, right? That the two finalist are in the same culinary style as the vacated IC? (Sarcasm) well at least now it makes sense while Tsai and Tio didn't win because they wanted an Italian chef, period.

I don't think Forgione deserved to be in the finale. He royally messed up something that he should have been able to do in his sleep, they had nothing good to say about his pasta and really nothing bad to say about Tio or Tsai. I don't plan on watching any IC's with him in it as my little protest. If they needed another Italian chef then they should have just hired one instead of pretending like the other contestants even had a chance.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread