+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

Re: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;2592581;
    If I tallied the wins right, it's

Cora 8-5-0
    Flay 15-7-2
    Batali 16-4-0
    Morimoto 7-6-1

Morimoto hasn't appeared in any of this new season's episodes, but there have only been 5.

Flay and Batali are my favorites because they both have a good sense of humor which sometimes comes out in the interplay with Alton.

There was a poll, either on FN or HGTV, forget which, asking for your favorite Iron Chef. Bobby came out on top, followed by Mario. Cat Cora was the least favorite. I hope that means they keep Mario.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3745221;
    Freitag's attitude on Chopped and most of the Next Iron Chef episodes really turn me off. Also, I haven't been very excited about her food. Maybe I'm ignoring her food because I can't stand watching her . . .???

As for Alex Guarnaschelli, who is mentioned in a few posts, her attitude on Chopped is even worse than Freitag's, yet I saw her (once) judging on Iron Chef and she was lighthearted, fun and funny. I can't figure it out.

I'd like Chef Garces to win. I think he makes good food and he's got a good attitude and humility and he's a sportsmanlike competitor. He'd be interesting to watch as an Iron Chef.
    I've only seen Alex on Iron Chef as a guest judge and she's been OK on that.
    Before I left the house yesterday, I was watching FN. I was expecting Ina to come on after Giada, but Alex, instead, came on with a show called Alex's day off. She cooked a steak, potatoes and carrots that looked to die for. And, I just loved her on the show. She came across as very calm, down to earth and a real chef! She reminded me a lot of Ina ( my favorite ). I am so sick of the over the top personalities on the FN. They had another restaurant chef show last season - Anne Burrell. I remember she used to be soux chef for Mario when he competed on Iron Chef. She seems to really know her stuff and I give her credit for being a real cook, but I could not bear to watch her on her show because she tried overly hard to come across cutesy and folksy - kind of like the new lady - I think her name is Claire Robinson - I watched her show 2x and just couldn't take her, either.
    So, Alex was a welcome breath of fresh air for me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I was surprised by Freitag's departure! The judges were acting like they really liked her food! I guess they aren't looking for another female Iron Chef after all. Cat Cora, who I'm not really fond of, is all we get. I just find it hard to believe that there are no other female chefs that could have been candidates for this show too. How many did they start with this time? Two?

I think they started with 3...Freitag, Crenn, and the one that went out 1st or 2nd...Holly something?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Has anyone who competed on Top Chef been on either of these "Next Iron Chef" shows? I would think that there would be some good candidates there.

Well, I said I would be shocked, and I am. I guess I am used to the shows where they already have the winner picked in their minds and work the show around that person for the win. I saw "we need another woman Iron Chef" and expected her to win. I am glad that on this show they seem to be more fair-minded.
    I saw it exactly as you did. I'm very surprised she was voted off (but very happy) because, for me, the editing pointed to her as the winner. I guess the editing of reality tv has jaded me, a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3747035;
    Has anyone who competed on Top Chef been on either of these "Next Iron Chef" shows? I would think that there would be some good candidates there.
    Yes, the first season had tons of them. I've posted somewhere in here the ones from this season who have competed. Don't feel like digging the names up again lol one name I remember is Mehta because his competition was really good and he won.

I watch Chopped with my mother (so I can translate mainly), and she's as baffled as everyone over how tough Alex and Amanda are there, compared to how likeable they come across in other shows. I like them perfectly fine, same with Claire Robinson, Anne Burrell, and pretty much everybody in FN that isn't Mario Batali.

Sadly, I got nobody else here left to root for. First Chef Crenn was gone, then my fave Chef Trevino, and now Chef Freitag. The final 3 are just bland to me, none of them have that extra something that makes me want to see them, and to me, a good Iron Chef has both excellent food and lots of personality, which I believe all current 5 have, even if Batali's personality totally stinks in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3747035;
    I've seen Ariane as a sous chef on Iron Chef after she'd been on Top Chef, and others have posted that Blais and Eli have competed on Iron Chef (Eli as Blais' sous chef), but I don't think any Top Chef contestants have competed to be the Next Iron Chef. Someone above mentions Mehta - I recall seeing him compete on Iron Chef but I don't think he's been on Top Chef. I think several competitors on The Next Iron Chef have appeared on Iron Chef America.

Isn't it a prerequisite to compete on Iron Chef America before competing to be The Next Iron Chef? Have each of the contestants competed? Win or lose, how can they be an Iron Chef without having been through Kitchen Stadium at least once?

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3747292;
    I've seen Ariane as a sous chef on Iron Chef after she'd been on Top Chef, and others have posted that Blais and Eli have competed on Iron Chef (Eli as Blais' sous chef), but I don't think any Top Chef contestants have competed to be the Next Iron Chef. Someone above mentions Mehta - I recall seeing him compete on Iron Chef but I don't think he's been on Top Chef. I think several competitors on The Next Iron Chef have appeared on Iron Chef America.

Isn't it a prerequisite to compete on Iron Chef America before competing to be The Next Iron Chef? Have each of the contestants competed? Win or lose, how can they be an Iron Chef without having been through Kitchen Stadium at least once?
    I misread the question! LOL somehow I completely missed the part about Top Chef. No, no Top Chef contestant has competed on IC (that I know of). I don't think they have enough experience actually. Most of the NIC chefs have at minimum 10 years of culinary experience under their belts and to be honest? There have only been a handful of TC chefs that I thought were of the same caliber as the ones that regularly show up to compete on IC.

I don't think it's a prerequisite since there are many who haven't competed. I agree, though, that they should have at least gone through Kitchen Stadium once as a competitor before trying to become the next IC.

+ Reply to Thread