+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

FORT Newbie

Re: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

I agree -- I don't think any of these contestants have "star" quality. Actually, the episodes have been a bit boring, but I'll still watch out of curiousity.

Hmm. I did not care for a double elimination challenge where one of them (Mehta) had, in my mind, a clear advantage over the others and where contestants were allowed to "hog" the proteins (even though that came back to bite Appleman and Trevino in the butt).

Seems to me that, since they wanted to eliminate 2 contestants, they should have tried harder to keep the challenge more "cuisine-neutral". Especially considering that at least a couple of the chefs knew nothing about Indian cuisine. It just did not sit well with me. On Iron Chef, chefs are generally not required (unless it's a unique one-off episode) to do cuisines to which they are not accustomed. Why force these wannabes to do so at such a significant juncture in the show?

The deal about letting contestants "strategize" by hogging proteins (as Appleman did) bothers me because the show should be doing whatever it can to ensure that the best chef wins the title of Iron Chef. If that means letting everyone select some of the same protein, so be it. Letting a chef take all of a protein so that others can't have it may make for good tv (to some people), but it doesn't really help the show find the best IC.

The only good things about the episode were that (1) Arrogant Appleman got taken down a peg or two or three--haha! and (2) Jose Garces won. I really like him.

Appleman is gone! Yay!

And I agree with dallas...it isn't fair on both parts (taking all of one of the proteins and cooking a possibly unfamiliar cuisine). It would have been better to do what Iron Chefs do...pick one ingredient, and let the chefs make what they want. That would have been much better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3741054;
    Appleman is gone! Yay!

And I agree with dallas...it isn't fair on both parts (taking all of one of the proteins and cooking a possibly unfamiliar cuisine). It would have been better to do what Iron Chefs do...pick one ingredient, and let the chefs make what they want. That would have been much better to me.
    I did the happy dance when they announced him gone!!! Woo hoo!

And I agree, the cuisine choice was not fair, nor was letting them hog an ingredient. Maybe they want to see them think fast?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

The look on Appleman's face when they gave the ticket to Chef Mullen was priceless...ahahahahaha

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm so glad Appleman is gone. I was kind of thinking it would be him. The timing was right for the one with the "jerk-edit" to leave.

I still like Frietag. She has a really happy, upbeat personality that I think will go well on the show. I don't really care for Cat Cora too much and I would really like to see another female Iron Chef.

I, too, like Freitag and I'd think she'd make a good addition although I do like Cat Cora. I was sad to see Crenn sent home because I would love to see an Iron Chef who does French cuisine. We already have Mario's Italian, Flay's Southwestern, Cora's Meditarranean/Southern, Morimoto's Japanese, and Tyson Mediterannean fusion (I think). The original Japaense Iron Chef had Sakai doing French; I miss that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I am putting money on Chef Frietag. She is all ready involved with Food Netwok.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3741484;
    I am putting money on Chef Frietag. She is all ready involved with Food Netwok.
    Ding, ding, we might have a winner
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3741400;
    I, too, like Freitag and I'd think she'd make a good addition although I do like Cat Cora. I was sad to see Crenn sent home because I would love to see an Iron Chef who does French cuisine. We already have Mario's Italian, Flay's Southwestern, Cora's Meditarranean/Southern, Morimoto's Japanese, and Tyson Mediterannean fusion (I think). The original Japaense Iron Chef had Sakai doing French; I miss that.
    Who?

I wanted Crenn to win. I loved her personality but the female judges seem to really dislike the female contestants. They are brutal to them, more so than the men.

I posted earlier in this thread that Frietag is already all over promos on FN. She's going to win or get some sort of show out of this.

And because it can't be said enough....YAY! Appleman is gone!

+ Reply to Thread