+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

Re: The Next Iron Chef - Food Network

My husband and I have been debating why they are taking on another Iron Chef and we've come to the conclusion that it's because they work their chefs to death on this network! Symone is on EVERYTHING as is Flay and they probably just demanded that they get some help by getting another IC.

It's clear from the styles of the chefs that they are looking for something different with the IC. More than likely somebody with a Latin influence. Hubby said it means that Flay is retiring. I don't agree, Flay cooks South Western. HUGE difference between that and the traditional Latin food many of these chefs cook.

The challenges were interesting, although, it bothered me that the winning dish was the one dish they didn't show anybody eating. Why is that? I thought the fact that he used the fallopian tubes was just downright disgusting.

The judges are already on my last nerve.

I don't have a clear cut favorite (although I'm leaning towards Chefs Freitag and Garces) but I have one that I despise and will never watch on IC because of his attitude. Chef Appleman. If he were to win, then whenever he is on I will just skip that show but I don't see him winning.

I think after watching FN for so long and seeing their other show (Next Food Network Star) you can almost guess who is going to win or at least who will definitely not win.

Chef Appleman will be kept around for drama purposes but no way he will win. He is completely unlikeable.

Female Chef with the permanent **tch face, won't win. Too unlikeable and her faces are scary.

The one chef who kept grossly sweating into his food. Won't win, who wants to watch that?

My completely inaccurate and untested scientific analysis has come up with those three not winning because Susie and Bob will consider them unmarketable (but what do I know, maybe they are looking for a jerk like Appleman).

The last time they did this show there were some heavy hitters, but this time I had never heard of any of these cheftestants. Maybe the next higher tier are just too busy being celebrity chefs to want to do this gig.

I think the Top Chef franchise has lapped this show, maybe several times over. I ran into it by accident; I was not even aware they were doing another season.

Based on first impressions as they were introduced in the first challenge, I felt the Indian guy was interesting, and the asparagus guy had a nice manner. The French gal and beer gal also stood out, as did the matzoh guy (looked like Peter Griffin from Family Guy). Don't know anything about their cooking abilities, just commenting on who stood out from the crowd at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3718982;
    Hadn't sen this show. Does this mean Mario Batali is gone from the show?
    When they said their specialty at the beginning, one was Italian, so I wondered if Mario was out - they don't need two Italian Iron Chefs, and none could be as impressive as Mario.

Now that I've finished watching, I can say I really dislike the judge Donatella. She seemed very obnoxious and abrasive. I hope she isn't a permanent judge!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3720885;
    The last time they did this show there were some heavy hitters, but this time I had never heard of any of these cheftestants. Maybe the next higher tier are just too busy being celebrity chefs to want to do this gig.
    Not a one of these chefs has under 15 years experience as a chef and they all either own their own restaurants or are executive chefs in a restaurant. I would definitely consider them heavy hitters and after reading their bios, I am pretty impressed with them.

My husband remembers seeing a battle with Mehta so I got curious to see who else has been on ICA since last season they pulled chefs from the competitors.

Amanda Freitag (she of the major **tch face) was a judge on Chopped and competed against Bobby Flay.

Jehangir Mehta (Indian guy) competed against Morimoto in battle coconut. I remember him now and thought he should have won.

Jose Garces (guy who won the first quick fire style challenge) defeated Bobby Flay.

Roberto Trevino competed against Mario Batali.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3720899;
    Now that I've finished watching, I can say I really dislike the judge Donatella. She seemed very obnoxious and abrasive. I hope she isn't a permanent judge!

I believe she is permanent because she was a judge on the last season too. Chef Apleman, I did not like. When they were allowed to taste each others food, he shot down everyone's. I was like, "WTF is wrong with him?" I like the Indian guy, Chef Trevino and Chef Garces.

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA

Last night was great because I was able to see the end of the first episode, then watch the second episode and then Battle Berry a new one with Bobby Flay - I got some good recipes out of that one.

I too was wondering if they were adding a new IC or replacing one. Do you thing they will be pressed to add a female?

So far I like Chef Trevino's personality - I would watch him. Mehta looks like he is having fun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3720885;
    When they said their specialty at the beginning, one was Italian, so I wondered if Mario was out - they don't need two Italian Iron Chefs, and none could be as impressive as Mario.
    In last week's Iron Chef show, Mario was missing from the introduction :-(

Quote Originally Posted by satorus;3725179;
    Mehta looks like he is having fun as well.
    He seemed especially gleeful when Alton asked him if he was bogarting all the grape leaves, lol. I like watching him/ hearing his snappy copmments, and Iwould love to try his food.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3727275;
    He seemed especially gleeful when Alton asked him if he was bogarting all the grape leaves, lol. I like watching him/ hearing his snappy copmments, and Iwould love to try his food.
    I was surprised that the chef who needed the grape leaves (sorry, the chefs are still too confusing for me and I'm not sure of his name - was it Chef Trevino?) spent most of the cooking hour moaning about not having grape leaves instead of finding some sort of substitute. After all, it was a competition about reinterpreting classis dishes, and it's entirely a test of the chefs' creativity so I thought the chef ought to have looked outside the box. I wonder what would have happened if Chef Mehta hadn't finally decided to throw him some grape leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3727460;
    I was surprised that the chef who needed the grape leaves (sorry, the chefs are still too confusing for me and I'm not sure of his name - was it Chef Trevino?) spent most of the cooking hour moaning about not having grape leaves instead of finding some sort of substitute. After all, it was a competition about reinterpreting classis dishes, and it's entirely a test of the chefs' creativity so I thought the chef ought to have looked outside the box. I wonder what would have happened if Chef Mehta hadn't finally decided to throw him some grape leaves.
    Yes, that was Chef Trevino and I was also wondering why he didn't seem to be looking for a substitute for the grape leaves. Either way, I'm happy he's still around because I like him for some reason.

+ Reply to Thread