+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Runway Canada

Vancouver, by way of The Island of Misfit Toys

Re: Canada's Next Top Model

Kendra Francis
    Hometown: Toronto, ON

的 appreciate clothes, I知 not obsessed with labels or designer labels or anything like that. I知 obsessed with the beauty of clothes and how they池e made.

Since graduating from Ryerson University痴 School of Fashion in Toronto, Kendra has been immersed in the world of fashion. She established her own label and called it Franke, using the first four letters of her last name with the first two letters of her first name. After Franke was well underway, Kendra opened her own boutique in Toronto痴 trendy Queen Street West area from 2001 to 2005. She also works as a stylist for photo shoots, commercials, and music videos.

She describes her line as modern, feminine, body-conscious, and high fashion.
    Vices: TV, chocolate, my iPod and food.
    Pet Peeves: Fake people, liars and high-maintenance friends.
    Best outfit: Blue jeans, a black cotton tunic and ballet flats with a pearl and ribbon necklace.
    Most embarrassing moment: Walking in the mall, having my heel break and having to fake walk with one heel to a shoe store, in front of a guy I just started seeing.
    First celebrity crush: Prince.
    Current celebrity crushes: Daniel Craig.
    If you could be anyone for a day, it would be: Oprah Winfrey.
    Dream job: Head designer of my own international fashion house.
    Worst nightmare: Not being successful.
    Favourite guilty pleasure movie: The Wedding Planner.
    What's in your purse/manbag? Lip gloss, compact, money, keys, needle and thread and gum.
    Last movie that made you cry: Blood Diamonds.
    I can't leave the house without: Lip gloss, phone and iPod.
    Most annoying traits: Too laid back, not vocal enough.
    Your inspiration: I get inspiration from many things: music, people, movies and books.
    Favourite food: Pasta with spicy meat sauce.
    Favourite piece of clothing: My skinny jeans.
    Favourite designer: Miuccia Prada.
    Best song for sketching: Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor album.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MAY THE FIERCE BE WITH YOU!
    Morayo Ninalowo called me a "fast bloody snitch" and all I got was this lousy t-shirt?!
    ***I'm gayer than Ikea on Superbowl weekend***

Darin Hartmann
    Hometown: Bashaw, AB

的 am extremely aggressive when it comes to tailoring. I like to have things that are finished, polished.

With more than 17 years in the fashion industry, Darin Hartmann has the most years of experience of all the designers in the competition. Darin studied fashion design at Kwantlen College in Vancouver before starting his own line ICICI. He describes his line as elegant and sophisticated for curvy women who are confident and expressive with a unique taste for the avant garde.

Darin has also worked extensively as a costume designer on a variety of films and creates custom garments for private clientele.

... I'm guessing he was eliminated before they could do the interview?
    Morayo Ninalowo called me a "fast bloody snitch" and all I got was this lousy t-shirt?!

Michael Hatley

的 guess you could say I知 my own muse - I only design things that I would wear myself.

Michael Hatley is one half of the design partnership known as 笛ason Meyers. The 25-year-old women痴 wear designer graduated in 2003 from the International Academy of Design in Toronto. She describes her design style as classic, sexy, current, and elegant.

Previously, Michael worked as a wholesale fashion sales representative for a large fashion retailer and boutique store manager. As a designer, she痴 been featured in Flare magazine and NOW magazine.
    Vices: Biting my nails, playing with my hair and toast with butter.
    Pet Peeves: Mean people, people who don't take off the fabric content label on the sleeve of their winter coat, or people who leave in the stay stitching in skirts and jacket vents!
    Best outfit: Can't pick one - there are lots!
    Worst outfit: Anything I wear at the cottage.
    Most embarrassing moment: There are lots. Most recently, dancing on a chair at a friend's house - the chair fell over backwards and I rolled down the stairs. It didn't stop the sing along, though!
    First celebrity crush: Mark Wahlberg as Marky Mark and Bon Jovi.
    If you could be anyone for a day, it would be: Feist.
    Dream job: Famous successful fashion designer.
    Worst nightmare: Something happening to my family or friends.
    Favourite guilty pleasure movie: Sweet Home Alabama, Dirty Dancing (of course), Flashdance and The Goonies.
    What's in your purse/manbag? Wallet, sunglasses, 300 ChapSticks, receipts, scrap paper, a book and pennies.
    Last movie that made you cry: Not sure? The Notebook?
    I can't leave the house without: ChapStick.
    Most annoying traits: Not fully listening when people are talking to me. My mind wanders very easily.
    Your inspiration: Life, art, music but mostly day-to-day life.
    Favourite food: Salmon, salad, fries, steak, bagels with butter, candies, pasta, sushi tempura, goat cheese, cheese in general, grilled cheese - I love food!
    Favourite piece of clothing: My Gucci pumps, my Marc Jacobs mouse flats, my dress with birds on it, and my jean jacket.
    Favourite designer: Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Phoebe Philo when she did Chloe, and Olivier Theyskens for Rochas.
    Best song for sketching: Anything Feist, Lily Allen, Joni Mitchell, classic rock, etc.

Lucian Matis

的知 originally from Romania and European fashion is more individualistic. I want to bring more creative garments to Canadian fashion.

Originally from Romania, Lucian Matis grew up surrounded by fashion in his mother痴 tailor shop where he learned to design at a young age. In 1999, Lucian moved to Toronto where he followed his studies in art with a degree in Ryerson University痴 Fashion Design program. He has won many awards including The Fur Council of Canada, Le Chateau痴 Menswear Competition, and the Alfred Sung Award.

Lucian has worked for major Canadian fashion retailers as a buyer and creative fashion director. He has also been designing his own label for four years. Lucian describes his line as sophisticated and sensual, where details are key and there is always an unexpected twist.

Vices: Art, sex and music.
    Pet Peeves: Incompetence.
    Best outfit: What I wear on a regular basis.
    Worst outfit: Don't have one.
    Most embarrassing moment: I watch what I say so I don't have one.
    First celebrity crush: Romy Schneider.
    Current celebrity crushes: Lindsay Lohan, Angelina Jolie, Jude Law and Tom Ford.
    If you could be anyone for a day, it would be: Lucian Matis.
    Dream job: Creative director of my own label.
    Worst nightmare: Not being able to fulfill all of my dreams.
    Favourite guilty pleasure movie: Superstar.
    What's in your purse/manbag? Oxygen, notebooks, headphones, an apple and sunglasses.
    Last movie that made you cry: Little Miss Sunshine.
    I can't leave the house without: My cell phone and wallet.
    Most annoying traits: Moodiness.
    Your inspiration: Michelangelo.
    Favourite food: Indian and Thai.
    Favourite piece of clothing: My leather coat and Double jeans.
    Favourite designer: They change with each season, right now it's Jean Paul Gaultier.
    Best song for sketching: Chill out music.

Re: Project Runway Canada

Shernett Swaby

典here is something inside of me that tells me that I知 exceptionally good at what I do.

Shernett is an entrepreneur and an individual. She has her own label, Swaby, and operates a successful store of the same name. She is very hands-on in every aspect of her business, from cutting and sewing to renovating her retail space. Her attention to detail and flair for style have landed her in Lucky magazine.

Shernett studied at the Academy of Design in Toronto. She describes her line as a unique concept of wearable art.

Vices: Ice cream (old-fashioned butter pecan from Baskin Robbins).
    Pet Peeves: Disorganization and being late.
    Best outfit: Skinny pants from Swaby and a loose fit silk chiffon blouse.
    Worst outfit: Skirt with flats and a T-shirt.
    Most embarrassing moment: Running into the guard rails when I went go-kart racing at the age of 16.
    First celebrity crush: Clint Eastwood.
    Current celebrity crushes: Keanu Reeves and Jude Law.
    Dream job: Creative director of my own label.
    Worst nightmare: First one to be kicked off Project Runway Canada.
    Favourite guilty pleasure movie: Dumb and Dumber.
    What's in your purse/manbag? Toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup and sketchbook.
    Last movie that made you cry: Legends of the Fall.
    I can't leave the house without: My cell phone and wallet.
    Most annoying traits: I am always talking about work when I'm not at work.
    Your inspiration: People who are the best at what they do: Wayne Gretzky, Oprah Winfrey, Tiger Woods and Michael Jackson.
    Favourite food: Ice cream.
    Favourite piece of clothing: My sweater dress with leather patches on the front.
    Favourite designer: Alexander McQueen.
    Best song for sketching: Anything Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton or Frank Sinatra.

Carlie Wong
    Hometown: Vancouver, BC

的 am the youngest designer here. I can compete with people that are older than me, even if they池e more experienced.

Born in Hong Kong, Carlie Wong and her family moved to Canada when she was young. Always dressed to impress, Carlie does not own a pair of jeans.

Carlie graduated at the top of her class in 2006 in the Fashion Design program at Kwantlen University College in Vancouver. Upon graduation, Carlie was hired as a dress maker for Vancouver designer Manuel Mendoza. She now works at mac&jac/Kensie as an assistant designer.

Carlie says her experience in the industry has given her strong couturier skills, not unlike the delicate handiwork of centuries past. The goal of her design aesthetic is to bring back a sense of luxury to our everyday dress. Carlie has been featured in Style Magazine, The Georgia Straight newspaper and the Vancouver Sun.

Vices: Good food, good company and Shirley Temples.
    Pet Peeves: Fake people, people who inject themselves into other people's conversations.
    Best outfit: What I'm wearing.
    Worst outfit: My lime green psychedelic atrocity of 1996.
    Most embarrassing moment: Crying on national TV.
    First celebrity crush: Jackie Jackson from The Jackson 5, or James "J.T." Taylor from Kool & The Gang.
    Current celebrity crushes: Johnny Depp and Chris Cornell.
    Dream job: Fashion designer.
    Worst nightmare: Living a life where I'm unhappy and not satisfied with what I'm doing.
    Favourite guilty pleasure movie: The Notebook, Die Hard: With a Vengeance.
    What's in your purse/manbag? Makeup, keys, sketchbook, wallet and Ricola.
    Last movie that made you cry: Many make me cry, I don't remember.
    I can't leave the house without: Doing my hair.
    Most annoying traits: I'm not annoying.
    Your inspiration: Passionate people.
    Favourite food: Indian curry.
    Favourite piece of clothing: My Calvin Klein LBD (little black dress).
    Favourite designer: Paul Poiret and Coco Chanel.
    Best song for sketching: Whatever's in my head.

Stephen Wong

展hether you like it or not, fashion these days has become more than just fashion. It痴 all about the personalities and the people behind the label.

Toronto痴 Stephen Wong is a self-taught designer with over 12 years experience in the fashion world as a stylist and now a designer.

He is the co-founder and designer of the label Greta Constantine. Currently in their second season, Steven describes the label as 兎ffortless clothing for the chic, modern woman.

Vices: A great shoe.
    Pet Peeves: Ignorant people and people who think they no longer need to learn.
    Best outfit: Trucker cap, v-neck, grey hoody, chestnut pony skin coat, jeans and sneakers.
    Worst outfit: Knee socks and shorts.
    Most embarrassing moment: On the subway, wearing a showgirl outfit in the daytime.
    First celebrity crush: Steve Austin's Six Million Dollar Man.
    Current celebrity crushes: Brad Pitt, Ewan MacGregor, David Beckham and Hidetoshi Nakata.
    If you could be anyone for a day, it would be: Oprah Winfrey or Gisele Bndchen.
    Dream job: Designer for an established house with access to the best sources and traders.
    Worst nightmare: Not fulfilling your dream.
    Favourite guilty pleasure movie: The 40-Year Old Virgin.
    What's in your purse/manbag? Money, camera, cigarettes and cell.
    Last movie that made you cry: Freedom Writers.
    I can't leave the house without: A hat and sunglasses.
    Most annoying traits: Run on sentences, but I think I've fixed that.
    Your inspiration: My mood.
    Favourite food: Sea food (shrimp, lobster and scallops).
    Favourite piece of clothing: A great T-shirt.
    Favourite designer: Azzedine Alaia.
    Best song for sketching: Anything by Feist.

World-famous supermodel Iman hosts the inaugural season of Project Runway Canada.

Episode 1: Clothes off Their Backs
    The designers meet their host, Iman, on a glamourous yacht and are given 30 minutes to create an outfit with very limited materials. Later the designers learn the competition has only just begun and they must now each create an innovative look using only the clothes from another competitor痴 suitcase.

All information, sources and exclusive videos of each contestant's interview and sneak peaks can be found at My Vice is Slice - Women's TV site for games, gossip, quizzes, shows, video, and horoscopes

I'm so excited for this
    Wow... a lot of Torontonians...

If you look at all the "behind the scenes" photos on the website there's no pictures of Darin, Marie or Sophia, and after reading all the designers bios I thought, those are the first three to go lol so I'm probably right.

My predictions so far for elimination order, based on nothing solid at the moment lol:

1st out: Darin
    2nd out: Sophia
    3rd out: Marie Genevieve
    4th out: Kendra
    5th out: Michael
    6th out: Steven
    7th out: Evan
    8th out: Shernett
    9th out: Carlie

Top three: Lucian, Lincoln, Megan

I think Lucian will be first, Lincoln second and Megan third but, I'll likely change my mind after the first episode... we'll see!!!
    Last edited by funkyfierce; 09-15-2007 at 05:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread