+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

Anyone else catch the first episode of Tim Gunn's new show last night? It was pretty much like Queer Eye all rolled up into one style guru (Tim) with input from his sidekick, model Veronica Webb. I did love that it was pretty genuine on the emotional level, the clothes were great, and the budget wasn't a huge issue. I ended up liking Catherine Malandrino a whole lot more than I did from her appearance on Project Runway. But my most favorite moment from last night's episode was Tim's "visceral" reaction to the notion of leggings. That little shriek and hand gesture was too funny. I need to find out how to get on this show!

Re: Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

Yes, and it was a bit awkward since Veronica Webb was the one suggesting them!

Overall, I liked it, although it was a bit sappy at the end. They'd only been married 2 1/2 years, and they made it sound like they'd been struggling for twenty. It just wasn't necessary to make it into a second honeymoon kind of story.

I thought they had someone fun to work with and I liked that they had defined categories they were going for.

I can't imagine getting my closet down to ten pieces, though. Can you?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I posted this in the Tim Gunn thread but it likely goes better here. I thought there was a thread somewhere for it, but answered the question posed in his thread:

He's great, the show is great and I have it on Season Pass on my TIVO. It's similar to What Not to Wear, but better IMO. He's kinder and cares more about the women than they do on the American version of WNTW. I think his show is more similar to the British version of WNTW and he has what is missing in the American version - compassion and a genuine caring about the person they are helping. I always feel a bit like Stacy thinks the show is about her, not about whomever they are helping. Tim Gunn of course is the opposite. He's delightful. I loved how choked up he got about Auggie (sp?) giving his wife that ring. It was so endearing. Of course my husband and I were tearing up along with everyone else in that room

It makes me want to go buy Tim's book. Or really to have him give my wardrobe a look-over. I'm sure I could use the help. And from someone as nice as he is while being extremely knowledgeable is a great combination.

I also thought it was hysterical when Veronica told Tim to "make it work". MrC doesn't watch Project Runway with me so had no idea that was Tim's signature line so I had to explain it.

Overall I thought the show was fantastic.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

I made the What Not To Wear comparison immediately. Though they go about defining the persons style differently, and use better tools (that computer program is way cool) the same basic advice is there. It is much more like the BBC version in that they aren't going for a laugh at the clients expense. I love Tim, he has a lot of heart, and a passion for fashion. Veronica is cool (loved that pink color-blocked dress - FIERCE) and where Tim may tend to steer more towards the classics, she might be able to help a client negotiate trends that can work for them.

I even got something out of it personally, today I went through my wardrobe, editing it into the same four categories.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Love Tim Gunn, but found the show boring -- way too similar to What Not to Wear (which is a better show) -- and the wrong venue for the Gunnster. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;2564858;
    Love Tim Gunn, but found the show boring -- way too similar to What Not to Wear (which is a better show) -- and the wrong venue for the Gunnster. I think.
    You read my mind. I heard he thinks he's better than WNTW. Not even close. Total snorefest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;2563607;
    I made the What Not To Wear comparison immediately. Though they go about defining the persons style differently, and use better tools (that computer program is way cool) the same basic advice is there. It is much more like the BBC version in that they aren't going for a laugh at the clients expense.
    I liked that computer program too. And of course thought it was another version of WNTW even from the commercial. But I thought they were meaner (especially the female sidekick - I would never want her going through my lingerie drawer!) than the British women. There was too much eye-rolling and face-making, as if their standards are the most important thing. Nevertheless, it's better than the American WNTW, which I cannot even tolerate watching.

I prefer Tim on Project Runway.

Oh! I loved this show, and i completely hate WNTW, I literally can't even watch 5 seconds of it. I agree, Tim's personality is to credit for the awesomeness of this show.

I would actually love to go on this show, except for the whole slimming my closet down to 10 items, that I would absolutely hate.

Way too much like "What Not To Wear". I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but this is like they just copied the whole show. Tim Gunn is much too talented to take part in this rip off. Give him a show that is original and up to his talents.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2569809;
    Way too much like "What Not To Wear". I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but this is like they just copied the whole show. Tim Gunn is much too talented to take part in this rip off. Give him a show that is original and up to his talents.
    Agreed. This is such a step down for him. They have to copy some 'B' show? The best show would be a day in the life, or him visiting fledgeling designers.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast