+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

Re: Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

While I do like this show, I admit it is far from perfect. It has a lot of great ingredients, it just doesn't seem that they know how to put them together.

The Meet the client ("we'll be there in 20 minutes") thing is incredibly artificial. It's almost as bad as MTV's Pimp My Ride's. I mean I know that pretty much every reality tv show does this staged first encounter thing (wait, if they're just rolling up to the person's house, then how did the cameraman get inside the house to show them opening the door?), but they do it really inorganically.

I have to defend them with the underwear thing, with some reservations. Good quality, properly fitting foundation garments (bras, panties, slimmers, hosiery, etc) are essential for making good clothing look great. It's not about whether it's expensive, it's about whether it's doing what it needs to do. The BBC's WNTW set the stage for this, and I've always have felt that TLC's version has been really lax on it, only covering it in the extreme cases. Why give someone a great new wardrobe when they're going to wear saggy, holey underwear under it. Unfortunately the way they've gone about emphasizing this is designed more to titillate (and to give Veronica Webb a catch phrase) than to underscore the importance of good underwear.

I think that this show could become a better show over time, but it does need some work if they want it to be a great show.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Fogey

Yes, under garments are important. They can get that message across, easily, without the horror, tears and hoopla that surrounds the drawer inspection. It is silly, boring and unnecessary.

I had to turn it off last night. I found it hard to believe that someone could make it through med school and be in the state she was. It appeared that she still lived at home in her childhood bedroom and that mummy was a huge enabler.

If anyone from the show checks in here, IMO the woman from Show 2 was good TV, this chick was not.

FORT Fogey

This show is going from bad to worse. A goal since 8 years old to go to Jerry Lewis' telethon?! That is just creepy, as is her living at home with mom and wearing Care Bear socks. She was worse than the martyr mom last week.

Great idea to work with 10 basic wardrobe items and dress different ages and body types in them but find a hipper and interesting way to do this!

This is the last show until after Project Runway. They will show the four remaining episodes then and I bet that will be the end of this disaster.

"That's a lot a look..." I crack up every time he says that! LOL!
    Isostasy! Subduction!Orogeny!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2590294;
    I had to turn it off last night. I found it hard to believe that someone could make it through med school and be in the state she was. It appeared that she still lived at home in her childhood bedroom and that mummy was a huge enabler.
    You are soooo right. I could not believe that she was a doctor--even the newest doctors I've seen (and I've seen a couple fresh off their residency) have more confidence in the way they present themselves. I can see if she didn't want to be big Dr. Cocky since she was a pediatrician, and it would have been appropriate for her to have toys and stuff in her office to comfort kids, but she acted like she was a precocious 14 year old, not a medical professional. And there was nothing cute about that blue bubble skirt--it was totally $10 hootchie. I really still love Tim Gunn, but aside from his hilarious reaction shots to the make-over person's regular clothes, the show is just not coming together for the best.

Personally, I'd like to see him do ten half-hour shows tackling each one of his ten fashion basics, with different women of different proportions.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2590503;
    Personally, I'd like to see him do ten half-hour shows tackling each one of his ten fashion basics, with different women of different proportions.
    Excellent idea. Give us the facts and drop the plot.

Did they cancel this? I was just going through my DVR and noticed it hadn't picked up any new episodes since the doctor one.

I was a bit put off by the statement that they "subscribe" to a "10 pieces of clothing" guideline, as it is so obvious the sidekick would never be able to live by that rule. In just the two episodes I've seen, it seems like she wore more than 10 outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2627809;
    Did they cancel this? I was just going through my DVR and noticed it hadn't picked up any new episodes since the doctor one.

I was a bit put off by the statement that they "subscribe" to a "10 pieces of clothing" guideline, as it is so obvious the sidekick would never be able to live by that rule. In just the two episodes I've seen, it seems like she wore more than 10 outfits.

It's on hiatus. On other boards, people are speculating that they're re-working the format.

As for the 10 pieces, if you listen closely, Tim says that they are the "core" or "foundation" of a wardrobe. Each piece in the core has multiple uses.

the assistant in his blog said that the show was going to pick up, but that they had to quit taping so that Tim could work on Project Runway. I don't think they stopped to rework it, but I am hoping that is a result of the hiatus.

The 10 core pieces does need to be explained a bit better, since yes, Veronica wears way more than a core 10 pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast