+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

FORT Newbie

Re: Tim Gunn's Guide To Style

I think the show is cool, but I hate the list they use, it seems so restrictive. I mean I know everyone needs a "classic white shirt" and a "little black dress", but the shows are all going to be exactly like each other if those are the cloths that are being bought in EVERY episode.

FORT Fogey

This show could have been so good but, alas, it is not. Tim is such a precious man on Project Runway but his personality is not working well with this format. The Peter Principal is at play.

Outside of his rigidly defined role in Project Runway he is floundering. I could fix this show easily but they will not ask me, which is unfortunate.

I love the idea of walking different body types through his 10 basic wardrobe items but the format is fuzzy; it needs a stronger structure. Make bullet points about each of the 10 items and show the viewers why the body type requires this style trench or black dress, etc. The information is there but not presented in an organized way.

The tired formula of walking to the house, chatting about their life and laying out the rules is tedious. Fly the client to NYC and allow Tim to have a modern, hip, dynamic environment to impart his wisdom. He has to dominate this show and he looks out of place standing in someone’s bedroom discussing bras in his suit.

And stop with the tearful, you have changed my life bit along with Tim and Veronica telling the woman, “I love you, it has changed our lives as well” or whatever platitudes they spout at the end. Make this show strong and educational and less about the story. I don’t care that these women need a fancy dress to go out to dinner with their husbands for some dramatic moment coming up in their future. Nor does anyone one else.

His personal style is instructor/mentor, why deviate from that, it worked on PR so well. As for Veronica, the jury is out. Time will tell. I do know that I don’t like her hair. It looks like a skull cap.
    Last edited by shoepie; 09-14-2007 at 09:58 PM.

I really like this show. Although I think they could make some improvements I believe that with the time allowed they do a great job. I think Tim (and Veronica) really do care about these women. The way they have structured the show it doesn't show as much of that as they could, but there are glimpses. Of course, as with every Bravo show I watch I read the blogs. They are as always enlightning and explain a great deal of what the editors miss. That the women so far really love Tim speaks volumes about how he is to them. He's obviously a soft touch as we saw with the ring thing last week.

I don't think they could eliminate the closet thing altogther as it shows some of the trials the women must go through to get to where they are, but they could certainly shorten the length of the segment. I'd like to see more why they are picking the clothes they do for each contestant. Tim explained some of that about JeAnne on his blog and it's more insightful than we got to see on the show.

Another thing we found out in the blog is that the designer ended up giving JeAnne two dresses, instead of the one. She had two and couldn't decide between them, and asked for his and Tim's advice and he gave them both to her. Wow! I'm not sure why that was left on the cutting room floor, or if they didn't capture it. Maybe they didn't want to make any of the other women jealous for just getting one, but what a loving caring man to give her both dresses.

I really like Tim. I caught the show for the first time yesterday and realized he fit well into project runway as the stable leader person. But in his own show where he isn't anchoring chaos basically he's kind of dry.

FORT Fogey

Okay, blah blah blah. Yes they love and attatch to the contestant. Got that and done with it. It is a formula. Why not do excellent styling without the sob story. Lots of us know what our figure dictates, lets see it taken to a new level.

I still don't like the sidekick. Was her face surgically altered to appear in a constant smirk? Maybe she isn't trying to be supercilious; maybe her face is just frozen in that position.

FORT Fanatic

Who doesnt love Tim Gunn? Shoepie had some great ideas. Tim has a great gig at Project Runway; that worked much better than this show does. PR just needed MORE Tim and less Heidi.

I hated the "show us your underwear" thing from the get-go, but this last episode where they made the woman cry was too harsh. That mean sidekick saying "we can do better" while looking at perfectly respectable shapewear made me feel that she would say that to whatever was presented, so why bother? It would have had me crying in anger and frustration at the gratuitous humiliation. That woman was very brave to do the show.

FORT Fogey

causingchaos, well put, this show is without an anchor. Tim is a good mentor and professorial in his manner. He needs someone to host the show so his wisdom can be the focus.

I see now that weeding out the closet, sometimes the entire thing, is crucial. Costly and probably not practical, the contestants could bring their wardrobe to him. I definately think he needs a studio to create the atmosphere of authority and ground the show.

The phone call that Tim is on his way insults the viewer. The camera and production crew has been there for an hour or two setting up and Tim is most likely on the scene.

The underwear drawer is not necessary. A mention that a good bra is important and to get fitted for one can be included in the knowledge they impart without the drama. oy

This season is in the can so hopefully they will change the format in seasons to come if this show is even picked up.

I watched this the one time at my mom's house (I don't have cable). But I asked my mom if the underwear drawer thing was normal.

Proper fitting for a bra is important. However, I don't know if comments about the rest of the gear is neccessary. I mean how many of us have fun underwear, a collection of stuff we don't normally wear but like, and everyday underwear that no one ever sees?

Aside from a bra and some shapewear options I think the women should have their underwear left alone because it's not exactly fashion. I mean it is but it's not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast