+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: LA Ink

Re: LA Ink

This show is so bad it is actually funny. I wacthed the mini-marathon on Saturday. It was hilarious, now I don't remember their names, but the English guy who ows the competing tattoo shop. He said his lines & looked into the camera with this surprised look that he might have actually gotten his lines correct after the 50th take.

Then that Aubrey, who needed job so badly, gets one and goes immedoately to a doctors office to get the LA Ink tramp stamp removed. Where is she going to get the money for that because I would doubt medical insurance covers that.

FORT Fanatic

I would say the odds of a tattoo shop offering ANY medical insurance are about zip. I wouldn't be surprised if the artists are considered 'independent contractors' and don't get any paid benefits like vacations, etc.

Corey on LA Ink has said several times that he has his own shop. I assume he goes on LA Ink for the exposure.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3855640;
    I don't know if it applies to the current LA Ink and American Electric or not.
    I think it does, at least to some extent. Corey mentioned on his website (or blog, I can't remember for sure), that now that filming for LA Ink was over for the season ,he was back at his own shop tattooing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3855759;
    This show is so bad it is actually funny. I wacthed the mini-marathon on Saturday. It was hilarious, now I don't remember their names, but the English guy who ows the competing tattoo shop. He said his lines & looked into the camera with this surprised look that he might have actually gotten his lines correct after the 50th take.
    I think that's just Craig's sense of humor. I love his wit, and eccentricity.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3855640;
    ...The show (or whoever was responsible for filming it) would advertise for anyone who wanted a tatoo to apply and explain WHY. An appointment would be made for them to come in and be filmed. They didn't just shoot any Tom, Dick, or Harry who walked in the door; it was appointment only. That explains why everyone who got a tattoo had an interesting story. I don't know if it applies to the current LA Ink and American Electric or not.
    I think I remember reading that on High Voltage's website awhile back. I'm okay with that. It does make it more interesting to watch someone getting tatooed if they have a story to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3855829;
    I think I remember reading that on High Voltage's website awhile back. I'm okay with that. It does make it more interesting to watch someone getting tatooed if they have a story to go along with it.
    Yep, I checked it out the other day. High Voltage will do walk-ins (though I rather doubt you get Kat or Corey when you just walk in), you can make an appointment with an artist, and if you want to be on LA Ink, you need an "interesting story" to go along with your tattoo. There's also a $200 shop minimum, which explains why the people on LA Ink generally get big-ass pieces...might as well upgrade rather than pay two hundred bucks for a little star or whatever.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fanatic

On very, very rare occasions, you can see that the tattoo has been covered up with some type of bandage after it's completed. Why is this? I've noticed that the ink seems to dry immediately because the artist will take a cloth and rub across it, so apparently it doesn't 'run.'

One artist recently told the client to use sun block. What will these tattoos look like in 20 years?

In theory right after being tattooed you should be getting a bandage (standards of practice are moving away from saran wrap). This is to keep out bacteria. Your tattoo is a giant open wound essentially. You can also leak some body fluids right after being tattoo. I had a larger piece done on my back once and still bled a little here and there right after it was done for example and you really don't want all that sticking to your clothes either.

The ink doesn't run. It's in the skin. The artist frequently wipes while doing tattoos to clear blood and excess ink from the area he/she is tattooing and then a final rub down preferably with some antibacterial stuff and you're set.

Having invested a lot of my time and money in my tattoos I always have a hearty laugh when I see these tanned up people coming to get some ink because even with the evolution of ink technology the sun is HORRIBLE for your tattoos. Tattoos will naturally a little over time. There are few ways more efficient to ensure that your tattoos great colors will fade and start to look bad over time than to not protect them from the sun. So if one is fond of tanning and would like to maintain a sharp/good looking tattoo choices must be made. I choose to remain pasty and ensure that my tattoos have the best chance at looking really good. But seriously I wouldn't invest money into something that is going to be on my body forever that I intend to destroy because of the sun. I find that hilarious when I see people doing it even after being educated about it.

Also a side note, colors tend to fade as well. Lots of people will go with black and grey tattoos because they don't want to deal with fading colors. They're just not as stable as the black inks are.

FORT Fanatic

Thanks very much for the explanation, CausingChaos. You just educated me and a lot of other people, I bet.

I remember when I had some pull the bandage off my last largish back piece (lots of solid black in it) and it was just gross. If I had put my shirt on right over that I would have lint and all sorts of nasty stuck to it as well as ruining the shirt I was wearing. If you think of it like if you skin your knee and it doesn't go too deep and how it's kind of gross there for a little while and all the lint and junk sticks to the wound if you don't have it covered while it's all fresh (few hours). I covered after that anytime I was around excessive dirt until I was well into healing.

Aftercare is a balance and pain with tattoos. I'm always kind of surprised they don't even talk about that part of the process on these shows. They don't talk about the itchy flakies, the lotions/ointments, scabs, washing etc. It's probably the only thing stopping me right now from going in and getting a couple new tattoos but I don't want to contort myself to try to care for more stuff on my back again or have that embarrassing "oh gee my shirt is stuck to my new tattoo" moment.

+ Reply to Thread