+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: LA Ink

Re: LA Ink

I wasn't the biggest fan of Kat on Miami ink because of her superiority stuff. There were times when she acted like a prima donna on there too.

FORT Fan

Watching LA Ink this week I realize how much I miss seeing the artistry and tattooing. When Miami Ink first started it was all about the tattoos and little by little they built in story lines and 'drama' (I use quotes b/c so much is staged). LA Ink is now mostly drama and the tattooing is secondary.

I'm still rooting for Electric Company Tattoo to get it's own show. I might tire of these characters too at some point but right now I'm loving the owner, I think he's hilarious.

Caught part of one episode of this show over the weekend. It's my first viewing of this show, ever. So I'm not very 'up' on the storylines or most of the cast. I've heard of Kat von D, but to be honest I don't remember most of it - some mention of some type of scandal, or something, that never panned out.

The episode I saw part of, was one in which Lee was coming in to manage the place and Adrienne didn't like her? I didn't like Lee either. Was curious what others thought of Lee.

FORT Fanatic

The new shop manager is just horrible (I don't think her name is Lee). She made it clear that she was used to being a manager in her other jobs and is throwing her weight around big-time. Of course, Adrienne seems like a real pill.

This show is so 'staged' it's impossible to know what is real and what is not. The previous season, they hired a shop manager named Aubrey who in real life would have been fired quickly, yet they let her stay the entire season as everyone complained about her.

I agree - there is very little tattooing shown on this series. It's mainly personalities clashing, which you can see on any show. They have some very talented artists and it's too bad they don't concentrate on that.

When Kat was on Miami Ink, I think she was accused of making a remark about the manager Ami James, who is a native of Israel. She denied it.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3854914;
    (I don't think her name is Lee).
    Possibly not. In my head I was calling her 'Requisite Reality Show Narcissist.'

Thanks for the background info.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3854914;
    The new shop manager is just horrible (I don't think her name is Lee). She made it clear that she was used to being a manager in her other jobs and is throwing her weight around big-time. Of course, Adrienne seems like a real pill.
    The new shop manager's name is Liz, short for Elizabeth.

Adrienne does come off kind of bitchy, but she also comes off as very knowledgeable and hard-working. The tattooists have commented on that a few times, I think it was Corey that said he can just look at Adrienne when he is with a customer, and she knows what he needs and gets it for him.

I agree it seems too scripted though, the whole Aubrey thing was ridiculous, and it's looking like it will be the same this season with Liz. I wish they got back to more tattooing. I really enjoyed the part of a recent episode when both Kat and Corey did a portrait of a the same little boy, one on the mother and one of the father. It was cool to compare their styles like that.

I really don't like Adrienne and think she'd make it difficult for any new employees no matter who they were or how positive their attitude was.
    Liz has come on a bit strong, but she clearly wants to learn, to do a good job and even to expand the role so she can be of more assistance to Kat.
    Adrienne had a sour look on her face from the minute Liz showed up and has such a horrible attitude. She is undoubtedly good at her job, but I find her to be so utterly unpleasant that I know I;d find it very hard to work with her.

Quote Originally Posted by angelwings
    I'm still rooting for Electric Company Tattoo to get it's own show. I might tire of these characters too at some point but right now I'm loving the owner, I think he's hilarious.
    I'm with you on that
    I much prefer the scenes at American Electric. I like Paulie and Amy and like the more relaxed feel of the place.
    They actually feel more like a family than High Voltage, and without having to mention they're a tattoo family every five minutes.
    I'm rooting for Aubry to do well at American Electic. This is her chance to prove that she can do a good job and prove the High Voltage lot wrong.
    I really hope her screwing up this chance isn't part of the script.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The only one I like at American Electric is Craig. Interestingly, he is the only artist listed on the shop's website right now, so I'm wondering if Amy & the other guy are still there. (Everytime I see Amy I wonder how long it takes her to assemble her face and hair every day. It looks like so much work. ) As far as Aubry goes...the less I see of her, the better. I think she should take a few months' leave and enroll in an administrative assistant course. Anyone who needs multiple lessons on how to work a photocopier and require feedback on how she takes a booking over the phone has no business being a shop "manager", or assistant, or whatever she's calling herself. Also, how does someone who's worked in two tattoo shops not know that tattoo removal is a painful, expensive and possibly futile process?

Count me as one wishing that there was more tattooing and less behind-the-scenes crap. Kat seems completely detached from everything that's going on, the guys (aside from Corey) are bitchy divas, and Adrienne is a sour old witch. Liz, I think I'll end up liking eventually. I don't think everyone in the shop "gets" her sense of humour - not yet, anyway - but she's a thousand percent better than Aubry.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Liz! Yes, that's it. Thank you. Sorry to all the Lees out there.

I like Adrienne because she works hard. Liz seems 'all mouth' to me, and obsessed with some fake type of prestige (is anyone in L.A. going to be bowled over by champagne and caviar?) I had to laugh when she planned that whole thing "to impress her boss" then said "send her the bill." Lol

But then I've only seen 3/4 of one episode...Maybe Liz has a good side and Adrienne has a bad side I haven't seen.

FORT Fanatic

As far as whether an artist actually works for that shop, when Miami Ink was on, I read that the artists only worked there when it was actively filming. The show (or whoever was responsible for filming it) would advertise for anyone who wanted a tatoo to apply and explain WHY. An appointment would be made for them to come in and be filmed. They didn't just shoot any Tom, Dick, or Harry who walked in the door; it was appointment only. That explains why everyone who got a tattoo had an interesting story.

I don't know if it applies to the current LA Ink and American Electric or not.

+ Reply to Thread