+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fat March

FORT Fogey

Re: Fat March

So my daughter and I watched this tonight and I figured out that they had to have done something wonky with the filming because when each group of two crossed the finish line, you can see our car parked in the background. We got to the musuem at 11 and we left at 2:30. If they only had 4 hours to do this then there is no way that they walked that whole way because when we left the musuem, they wouldn't let us cross directly across to our car because they were expecting walkers at any moment. I just don't see how but I completely admit that I suck with numbers.

I didn't really have time to watch tonight and will have to analyze my tape a little bit later. But the impression I got especially of the final weight in was wow they all lost tremendous amounts of weight but they all still are fat. I know its a mean thing to say. The before and afters pics are not all that great. Michael really shows a big difference in his face but at 5'9" he still needs to lose another 80 lbs, as does Sam. Even the ladies need to lose anywhere from and additional 50 to 80 lbs. At 197, Loralie who is what 5'2" or 5'3" needs to get down to the 130's. I sincerely hope that all the marchers were able to maintain their weight loses and hopefully continue to lose more.

Oh, Lorrie the trainer is so irritating in her helpful hints to the marchers that I wish they would all just sit on her and shut her up. Yeap, a squashed flat, quite Lorrie would be nice.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I prefer to look at it as to the amount of weight they lost in a short period of time. No one stated that this was a complete make over and they would be at an ideal weight when done. I have personally lost 90 lbs and it has taken me 13 months to do it. I applaud them for what they have accomplished and I'm sure that some of them will be able to continue to lose weight and reach their goal. Congrats marchers. Job well done!

Marathon update: 26.2 miles for Shea, Chantal, Sam, Loralie and Michael. Michael chooses to walk with Jamie Lyn who will be walking 33.2 miles.

Everyone has 10 hours to complete their mileage.

1. Shea finished first in 7:14:30. Averaging a 17 minute mile.

2. Chantal finished second in 8:37:50. Averaging a 20 minute mile.

3. Samn and Loralie finish together in 9:08:50. Averaging a 21 minute mile.

4. Jamie Lyn and Michael finish in 9:33:10. Averaging a 17 minute mile.

I have a feeling that Jamie Lyn and Michael could have gone faster except for her knee injury.

What is interesting is that most marathoners do not walk, jog or run the day following a marathon, but the marchers must plod on.

Link to the trainers journals at the ABC website:

Fat March - Primetime - Trainer Diary - ABC.com

How to properly train for a walking marathon, basically be regularly walking for a yr and then do a 18 to 22 wk training program not the 8 to 9 wks of brutally that was done here on Fat March.

How Not to Train for a Marathon

This was also interesting. Neither Lorrie or Steve, the trainers have any background in walking, running or track. They are both bodybuilders and Lorrie was also a former Marine. That explains alot about her nonsympathetic training techniques.

A Real Walking Coach Could Have Helped

How Fast Do I Need to Walk to Train for a Marathon?
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-11-2007 at 01:20 AM.

I haven't been following as closely with this show, but occasionally popping in. The weight losses were not (or did not appear to me to be) as great as those on say The Biggest Loser. Is that because of the type of exercise they did? The hours involved? Etc.
    I'm really showing my naivity, but I'm quite curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2566200;
    I haven't been following as closely with this show, but occasionally popping in. The weight losses were not (or did not appear to me to be) as great as those on say The Biggest Loser. Is that because of the type of exercise they did? The hours involved? Etc.
    I'm really showing my naivity, but I'm quite curious. Thanks!
    The contestents on Biggest Loser are on the ranch for several weeks and then the finalists are sent home to lose even more weight. The timeframe for Biggest Loser is over a 6 month period (or 25.7 wks). The time frame for Fat March is 10 wks. Also remember that even on Biggest Loser the one voted off still can compete for a final prize based on how much even they continued to lose while at home. Therefore you have some really big 100 plus weight loses for the men and 50, 60, 70, and 80 lb weight loses for the women.

When Wendy was quit during episode 3 I had read an interview she had done claiming that they marchers were only walking 4 days a week and doing the challenge on the 5th day. Now at the time that did not make any sense to me as the marchers had to get acclimated to walking and 575 miles is alot of mileage and the math did not make sense. Well now that the show is over I did some calculations. 10 weeks equals 70 days. There were 47 walking days, with 6 challenge days leaving 17 days to rest. That averages 4.7 walking days per wk. Now if the marchers only walked 4 days a week for the first 3 weeks and then walked 5 days a week the remaining 7 weeks the math makes sense. Wendy you were right.

Re: Fat March - final stats

One thing I did not like about the finale was the way the last weight in was handled. On previous weight ins the amount of weight lost during each stage was annouced as well as the total lost so far. So again I had to do some math. The stage 5 weight in was at the end of 8 wks, and the stage 6 weight in was at the end of 10 wks so the weight lost was over a 2 wk period.

Michael was 252 at stage 5 and 239 at stage 6 for loss of 13 lbs. Total lost 80lbs.

Sam was 314 at stage 5 and 297 at stage 6 for a loss of 17 lbs. Total lost 85lbs.

Chantal was 213 at stage 5 and 199 at stage 6 for a loss of 14lbs. Total lost 51lbs.

Shea was 244 at stage 5 and 234 at stage 6 for a loss of 10 lbs. Total lost 55lbs.

Jamie Lynwas 198 at stage 5 and 186 at stage 6 for a loss of 12 lbs. Total lost 50lbs.

Loralie was 198 at stage 5 and 185 at stage 6 for a loss of 13 lbs. Total lost 56lbs.

Makes me think that if Anthony was allowed to continue he would have reached his 100lb weight loss goal because he had already reached 80lbs lost by the end of stage 5.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-11-2007 at 03:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread