+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fat March

Re: Fat March

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2551246;
    Thanks for all of the info, Bearcata! Does ABC.com show any extras on their down loads?
    Does anyone know if all 8 that are left make it all the way?
    No extras on the downloads and no spoilers. With only two episodes left I am rooting for all of them to finish. I just hope Matt's knees can hold out.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2551272;
    No extras on the downloads and no spoilers. With only two episodes left I am rooting for all of them to finish. I just hope Matt's knees can hold out.
    Amen on that. Just that they are trying, regardless of the carrot at the end, is remarkable. If they do it, what an accomplishment. How many so called "healthy" people would even try?

Labor Day - yes episode 5 will be on!

Labor Day - yes episode 5 will be on! If you miss it go to ABC.com and watch it there.

It is Day 32, the marchers have completed 330 miles and have 245 to go. They are in Bart, PA This is the beginning of Stage 5, all the marchers have mileage to make up and they have the entire of Stage 5 to do so. The days are incredibly hot and humid and there are lots of hills. They have to walk 18.2 miles in 5 hrs plus try to make up mileage. Matt, Sam, Shea and Loralie do 13.2 miles. Anthony and Jami Lyn do 12.2 miles. Walk Day 33 - Bethesda, PA the marchers have to do 15.9 miles in 5 hrs. They have walked 340 miles so far. Matt had to go to the Emergency Room on Day 33 and is bruising his bones. He has not padding at all between his thigh bone and shin bone. He leaves the march. On Walk Day 37 the marchers have completed 400 miles. They have to walk 7 miles in 6 hours. This gives them the opportunity to make up all their mileage. At the end of the day all the marchers except Anthony have made up their mileage, he is still 10 miles behind.

By the end of Stage 5 and 8 weeks of walking the marchers have walked 450 miles and have 120 miles to go.

Weight in:

Anthony - lost 14 lbs, weights 353, total lost 80 lbs

Michael - lost 6 lbs, weights 252, total lost 67 lbs

Sam - lost 9 lbs, weights 314, total lost 68 lbs

Wow, only three guys left

Chantal - lost 8 lbs, weights 213, total lost 37 lbs

Shea - lost 11 lbs, weights 244, total lost 45 lbs

Jami Lyn - lost 4 lbs, weights 198, total lost 38 lbs

She is major pissed that for all that hard work she only lost 4 lbs. Hey she just maybe a hard loser.

Loralie - lost 9 lbs, weights 198, total lost 44 lbs

Vote Off - even with Matt leaving they are having another vote off, cause if Anthony stays they have to make up his mileage wtih him. Chantal and Loralie don't think they can make up his mileage with him and choose to vote him out. Anthony is the slowest now tht Will is gone and the heaviest but he consistently has the largest weight loses each stage and has lost the most weight over all. They are walking in some grueling conditions and deserve a break. If all that Anthony had to do was make up 10 miles I think all would be in favor of that. The situation is that Anthony does not finish every day and will he continue to accumulate mileage through out Stage 6. If he had managed to make up the mileage there would not be a question of keeping him. Unfortunately Chantal and Loralie do not want to chance finishing and collecting their money on Anthony so vote him out. No one is happy with the outcome everyone is in tears and it looks as if Jami Lyn and Anthony are a bit more than friends.

The question is will the walkers be able to do 120 miles in 2 wks. I think so. The problem is not all days count as Walking Days. The problem lies in the number of Walking Days left and how much time is allotted for each day.

The prize is now down to $40,000 each if all 6 cross the finish line together. It kinda sucks that if 4 more people drop out there will be no prize money left. Still at this point I do not think that will happen as the strongest marchers are left.

The other nice thing about todays show is that they were showing the route on the map and matching it up with mileage and Walk Days. Still very little info on the website. Too bad, extra info such as a map of the route, the amount walked each day would have been appreciated. A beautiful opportunity to publicise the endeavor and to encourage people to walk to lose weight and the producers totally blow it.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-03-2007 at 11:55 PM.

I was just over on Will's myspace account (he's numberoneshaqfan) and in his blog he mentions that he realizes that he is a food addict. He is doing weightwatchers online and is down to 384. He was 413 when he was voted off. Another 29lbs. Congratulations.

link to recap for episode 5:
    Walking for Fitness - Weight Loss - Exercise
    Fat March Episode 5: The Wreckage
    Fat March is an ABC-TV reality series that airs Monday nights at 9/8 ET/CT. The overweight contestants walk 570 miles in 10 weeks.
    Set Up to Fail
    When last we left Fat March, the team voted off Will so they wouldn't have to make up his extra mileage, but they still have 6 miles they will have to make up during this stage. It is Day 32, and the goal is 18.2 miles in 5 hours. This goal is set just to have them fall further behind. As a marathon walker, I achieve 18 miles in 5 hours only ONCE A YEAR, during the Portland Marathon, when I have to make it to Mile 22 before the 6-hour cutoff. On my long training walks I take longer than 5 hours to walk 18 miles as I usually have several 10 minute breaks for food, blister treatment, etc. The marathon is the only time I power through the first 18 miles.

Trainer Steve makes a comment that it's unusual not to see Will behind them. This just strikes me as snarky, no matter how much I hear that Steve is a great and wonderful person in real life.

Anthony's Cunning Plan Backfires
    Jami Lyn is lagging back with Anthony, who is now seen as the weakest link. Anthony's drama queen machinations are coming home to roost. After weeks of pitting the other marchers against anybody lagging, now he is the laggard. If he doesn't keep up with the rest, they may vote him off so they don't have to make up his mileage.

Just Plain Wrong
    Now for extreme ick: Jami Lyn and Anthony are shown hugging and dancing in flashbacks back to camp. Jami Lyn is listed as a stay-at-home mom with a military husband. We are teased multiple times with an upcoming clip of a decidedly romantic-looking kiss between Jami Lyn and Anthony. Unless Anthony is a gay virgin rather than a hetero virgin, Jami Lyn is going to have a lot of explaining to do for her military husband. Is Anthony really "Jody back home?" Not only is she married, but Anthony is a manipulative, self-serving drama queen who deserves to remain a virgin. All of my love for Jami Lyn has died.

And Fail They Do
    The grueling 18 mile goal just can't be achieved. Chantal jogs to the final deadline, and I think she should opt for some breast-reduction surgery after the show. She made it 15.2 miles, in what appears to be extreme heat. Others were stopped at 13 miles, and Anthony and Jami Lyn are at mile 12. That means they will be a total of 12 miles behind schedule.

Matt's Knee Brings Him to His Knees
    Matt's knee finally gives out and he heads to the hospital. His meniscus is crushed and his anterior cruciate ligament is in shreds. The doctor doesn't recommend continuing. He tearfully decides to quit. Steve and Lorrie treat him like a fallen hero, and he gets a hero's farewell compared to how the other quitters, Kim and Wendy, were treated.

What is a Jicama?
    The challenge this week is set at a Lancaster farmer's market. They will have a scavenger hunt for the fresh ingredients in a healthy meal. They have $30 for 30 minutes to find 30 ingredients in teams of two. Since they have an odd number, Sam draws the losing lot and has to sit it out an lose out on a chance for the prize - a trip to Hawaii. They way this show is going, the only thing these people will take away are any challenge prizes they win, so that's a big loss for Sam. There is a lot of consternation about jicama. First, nobody knows what it is. I guess the Marchers really don't ever shop for veggies, or they have truly pathetic local supermarkets. Or I'm a spoiled elitist. Loralie finds it, but buys the last one. Chantal and Anthony won't stay together and Jami Lyn and Michael rat on them. They are disqualified after being warned to stay together. Jami Lyn admits it was hard to find the various fruits and vegetables vs. sugar and bacon. Shea and Loralie found 29 of the 30 items, missing only because they got powdered ginger rather than fresh ginger root. My husband admits he wouldn't be able to identify jicama, but he knows ginger root since I keep some in my freezer for Indian dishes.

Canoe Shortcut
    I couldn't follow along without a scorecard at this point. They have only to do 7 miles in 6 hours, which apparently will them a chance to catch up mileage. There is also a shortcut along the way, so they can canoe across the lake rather than walking around it, saving 5 miles. Nobody is waiting for Anthony this time. Anthony was running behind and running out of time to catch up his mileage. My husband wants to frame Chantal's quote of "Nobody wants to be the fat person alone in the canoe." We are shown very unflattering shots of the Marchers getting out of the canoes. Everyone but Anthony makes it to the end, having caught up their mileage. But Anthony ends up being 10 miles behind.

Anthony - I Knew Machiavelli, and You're No Machiavelli
    Anthony needs to walk a total of 25 miles on the last day to catch up. He thinks he's a Machiavelli. He believes he has Jami Lyn and Michael in his pocket. He says Chantal won't vote him off because she is a "greedy *itch." and won't want to lose $10,000 by eliminating him. But he's not facing that they will lose everything if they don't all make it to DC in the last stage. Just lovely. Everybody else finishes just 3.5 miles behind schedule. Anthony did 15 miles, and so he is 9 3/4 miles down. Everybody else is 3.5 miles down, which they will have to make up in the last stage if they vote off Anthony. Otherwise, they have to make up his mileage. Given that they are now regularly being thrown 15-18 mile days, making up any mileage is going to be very difficult.

Weigh-in after 450 Miles
    I'll list the pounds lost this stage followed by the total pounds lost in 8 weeks: Chantal: 8 pounds (37 pounds). Michael 6 pounds (67 pounds). Shea 11 pounds (45 pounds). Sam 9 pounds (68 pounds). Jami Lyn 4 pounds (38 pounds) now below 200 pounds, but very disappointed. Loralie 9 pounds (44 pounds) and now below 200 pounds. Anthony 14 pounds (80 pounds). Jami Lyn is disgusted that she only lost 4 pounds this stage. But she is looking lean and healthy - she is managing to gain muscle while losing fat, and may also be retaining water at this point as Matt was in Stage 3. But she is focused on the number on the scale, not the inches and leaner appearance. This is the biggest hurdle for those who exercise off fat - you need to rely on measurement and appearance, not the scale.

Vote-Off
    This is the last vote-off. But everyone who starts the next stage must finish in the time limit, or none of them win any money. I don't think we were ever told that before - were the Marchers? Because it seems like they would be more ruthless in voting people out if they knew that before. What if they had more than one person lagging at this point, or if Matt had tried to continue? Keeping more than one injured/incapable person to this last elimination would have endangered them all in getting a dime out of ABC. This show has no incentive for anybody to make it, does it? If they just make it a little too challenging, they don't have to pay any prize money at all. Since Anthony previously said he didn't care about winning any money, I really think they should cut him loose. For once, they show Anthony's vote first, since he is the one in danger. Michael votes Nobody. Jami Lyn not only votes for nobody, she gives a shout out to everyone who has quit or been voted off. It comes down to Loralie as the first vote for Anthony. She is worried that she can't make up the mileage. Chantal also votes for Anthony - so I guess she's greedy in different way? Like getting ANY prize money vs. only $10,000 less? At this point, having lost 5 Marchers to quitting or vote-off, they are only playing for $40,000 each - and only if they all make it to DC within the time limits. We have seen that the time limits are being set to ensure failure and save ABC money. Everybody is crying. Michael and Jami Lyn are angry with those who voted for Anthony.

Jami Lyn hugs Anthony and tells Anthony that she loves him and "is in love with him." Noooooooooo!!!! But she seems a little shocked by the mouth kiss he gives her, although if somebody had just said they are "in love with me," I would think that was an invitation. Anthony had better be gay, as otherwise I find Jami Lyn's behavior inexcusable. Except maybe she has heat stroke. Yes, that's the ticket, heat stroke! At least she can use that excuse with her husband and kids.

Previews for next week: Jami Lyn walking after heat sickness, and it sounds like they make them walk a full 26.2 mile marathon
    This concerns me as it does appear as if the producers are deliberately pushing the marchers to fail. 18 mile marches in 96 degree weather, hills, 400 lb plus people. Just looking at Anthony's shoes made me want to cring. They are old and worn. Overall Anthony's successfull weight loss of 80lbs is dimished by the vote off. That is a remarkable achievement. In fact the marchers were basically forced to vote Anthony off cause of the time limits. The 6 fastest marchers are now left. I just wish Jami Lyn would quit bitching about only loosing 4 lbs here and there she looks fabulous and her attitude stinks.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-04-2007 at 10:48 AM.

FORT Fogey

I don't know if this means anything but, I had taken the day off in April when they reached DC. I had my nephews and my daughter and we were off to the Native American Musuem and that is where the finish line was. They taped a finish as we got there and they interviewed the contestants. Then everyone just disappeared but they kept the stage up and wouldn't let anyone cross it because they were expecting the contestants to arrive at any time. So, what does that mean? I think they brought them in by van, filmed the ending and then took them back out to finish. I remember a woman with short curly blonde hair being at the end and she was the one I saw interviewed.

This whole show seems flawed to me. I would never do this show. Biggest Loser, yes. Fat march? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by DCDiva;2557620;
    I don't know if this means anything but, I had taken the day off in April when they reached DC. I had my nephews and my daughter and we were off to the Native American Musuem and that is where the finish line was. They taped a finish as we got there and they interviewed the contestants. Then everyone just disappeared but they kept the stage up and wouldn't let anyone cross it because they were expecting the contestants to arrive at any time. So, what does that mean? I think they brought them in by van, filmed the ending and then took them back out to finish. I remember a woman with short curly blonde hair being at the end and she was the one I saw interviewed.

This whole show seems flawed to me. I would never do this show. Biggest Loser, yes. Fat march? No way.
    Wow, thanks for posting. Gives us an idea how quickly they can put together one of these shows. Maybe that also explains why the editing can seem so choppy at times, (since the editors put it together so quickly).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

So that sounds like Chantal at least finishes, which is not a surprise--she's been in the lead a lot. I'd guess Michael does as well then since they are often near each other.
    What the heck was up with Jamie Lynn? "In love"? Maybe she thought the mike wouldn't pick that up? I don't want to stereotype, but I'd definitely thought Anthony was gay..so then what was the lip kiss? I have no idea what's going on. Somehow I doubt she'll feel the same way once she sees how conniving he was to others, no matter how nice he was to her. Maybe she was up for losing weight because she was getting ready to get out of that marriage and back on the market. Sure hope hubby isn't over in Iraq...not nice to be hearing that your ever hotter wife is running around on you. And with an Anthony? Well, maybe he was a contrast to military husband.
    And I'm with everyone who would prefer Biggest Loser over Fat March. A-C in a gym, real beds, decent food, variety of exercises, and some better medical supervision. Yes, now and then they go outside to climb a mountain or run up and down a stadium but it's dry heat, not humid.

Quote Originally Posted by DCDiva;2557620;

I just watched the end of the show again and in the previews they have the people that quit or were voted off at the finish line. There was a clear shot of Wendy, so I am thinking the curly haired blonde woman may have been her.

+ Reply to Thread