+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fat March

Re: Fat March

A recap of stage 4: Fat March Episode 4 - Heat Kills.

Stage 4 stats: Day 30 ?? (not sure)

(note: start weight, weight at stage 4, weight lost during stage 4, total lost)

Anthony: 433, 367, 11, T66

Will: 472, 413, 11, T59

Matt: 389, 336, 18, T53

Sam: 382, 323, 13, T59

Michael: 319, 258, 15, T61

Chantal: 250, 221, 7, T29

Loralie: 241, 206, 7, T35

Jami Lynn: 236, 202, 7, T34

Shea: 289, 255, 10, T34

Anthony, Matt, Michael, Shea all voted for Will during the vote off.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Check out this article about Steve Vaught who walked across America to lose weight.

The Fat Man Walking Steve Vaught

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I have to say I can't believe the risks these people are taking....is no one thinking about heat stroke and heat exhaustion? Is no one considering that with the surface to volume ratio that fat people have compared to skinny people that what the trainers can do with just discomfort would likely lead to dangerously high body temperatures for the very fat walkers, ESPECIALLY on hot humid days when sweat won't evaporate and cool you? People are vomiting? Dizzy? This show is nuts!!! If they had done this show in the spring...and walked NORTH instead of south to hot steamy DC it might have made sense... or in the fall and walked south. But at what seems to be the height of the summer? Are they begging for a death? I'm sorry, but I think Will made the right move.
    And I wanted to like the show--I thought it would inspire people/me to walk. Instead it is reinforcing everything I dislike about walking...
    I finally got a hint about why they are camping instead of sleeping in beds with the comment about about how the experience is meant to tear you down and rebuild you emotionally--much the purpose of boot camp.
    The rest of the group probably made the right move for themselves in kicking out Will--but that's not the image I had of the show in the first place--that they would support each other. If anyone needed to lose he did, and he was, but no way can he keep up with the thinner men yet. And how long before the knee of the wrestler goes completely...where is the medical supervision on this show? On Biggest Loser they often check their knees and several times people have been forbidden to do certain challenges because of their knees.
    I also sympathized with Will and his unwillingness to trust the rope. I'd have been thinking, yeah, this Outward Bound guy has run this rope challenge a lot, with skinny people, or somewhat heavy people... but did he ever test this rope with a 400 pounder? Does he have any idea how heavy that is and how many bones I"d break if I fell just from the weight of my body? I wouldn't be a little shaken up and bruised, I'd be mangled. Total sympathy. Glad the rope did hold though.
    Hope he can keep on losing and at least break 300...but the way he kept saying "if" he could find a support system didn't sound too good. If his social life circles around competitive eating..ummm.

Some links to articles:

USA Today criticizing the show:
    Is TV's 'Fat March' out of step? - USATODAY.com

PWS, you are not the only one concerned about how hard the marchers are being pushed. There are quite a few articles out there with doctors and other trainers complaining about the same thing. Still I have also read interviews with Loralie and Sam saying that although it was uncomfortable it was something they needed to do and that it was very doable.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-28-2007 at 06:58 PM.

So, next week is the last episode? It looks like many of them really start to have physical break downs next week. It looks pretty intense from the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by tickerrose;2550445;
    So, next week is the last episode? It looks like many of them really start to have physical break downs next week. It looks pretty intense from the preview.
    Fat March is a 6 episode long reality show. We have seen 4 episodes so far. Labor Day will be episode 5 and the 6th and last episode will be shown September 10th. Also if you note that the first 4 episodes cover about 4 to 5 weeks of walking so that last 2 episodes will cover alot of ground.

If anyone have missed any of the episodes they can go to ABC.com and watch the full episode. I had to download and install their movie player. It has 4 sizes from minimode to fullscreen. The streaming video downloads very quickly and the picture is very clear in all sizes. I had no pixelation or stalling due to sluggish downloads, its a very nice player. You can even go forward and backward on the episode with no problems. You can also pause with no problems. The nice thing about rewatching is I can really see the weight loss especially in Anthony and his face. Quite remarkable.

FORT Fogey

Thanks for all of the info, Bearcata! Does ABC.com show any extras on their down loads?
    Does anyone know if all 8 that are left make it all the way?

Stage I - Walk Day 8 - 65 miles

Stage II - 3 weeks - 150 miles

Stage III - Walk Day 24 - 230 miles

Stage IV - Walk Day 31 - 312.5 miles

The nice thing about watching again I got more stats. Still I do wish that the show would be more consistent with labels on internal editing and I do think that the website really needs to have these stats on the site and it would be great if they had a map showing the route and how far the marchers walked each day. I must congratulate the remaining marchers because they have walked more then half of the distance.

+ Reply to Thread