+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fat March

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Fat March

I missed the first episode, bearcata, but this was the first time I saw anything about the time limits as well.
    I have to say Anthony is a real drag psychologically---he's really trying to stir up trouble, repeating stuff with worst possible interpretation.The other two guys should talk to each other without A. around and find out what has really been said. If anyone should be voted off he should. We had someone in our office like that....finally learned not to believe anything she said about others w/o checking it out with them.

Well, I watched the first two weeks but couldn't even bring myself to TIVO last night's show.....I'm done!
    If I get too cranky, would someone wipe the drool off my chin and send me to the home!

I just finished reading an article explaining Why Wendy Went Home. She had really bad plantar fascia and supposedly needed 30 days bed rest. Uh mmm ... suddenly after never having it you suddenly do??? She constantly is talking about how she was away for 10 wks and that she missed her husband and who she has not been apart for 4 yrs. So she quit and still they kept her in seclusion. I don't think so. From her comments the production sounded rather cheap and I can't see these producers putting her up in a hotel for the remaining 7 wks that she did not complete. She quit around the 3 wk mark. It was an interesting article and she speaks well of all the remaining crew. Nothing is mentioned about Kim or Shane. She does note that the trainiers, Lorrie and Steve did not get along, and that it took 4 wks into the production before the producers provided the food to the marchers that the trainers wanted them to have. Well, if she left at 3 wks how the heck does she know that??? She metions that the first medic was overweight as well and could not keep up with the marchers and had to travel in the van. Well, why should the medic walk that is not par of her job. Supposely the first medic was fired in the 2nd or 3rd wk and the new professional medic really took good care of their feet every morning.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Comments episode 3

First congratulations on the marchers for finishing Stage 3 and reaching New York.

The other big event was Wendy quitting. I am a tad on the fence about this. Unlike the British version of this show which was more documentary style, the producers of this show have made it a contest and have timed walks. It looks as if the marchers have to do a 20 minute mile to successfully complete the daily marches. Now this is an admirable goal, but for a group of people that are carrying and extra 100 lbs, 200 lbs even 300 lbs and are totally sedentary this is a bit ridiculous and possibly hazardous to their health. Yes by week 3 or 4 they should be conditioned especially if they are walking every day. But according to an earlier interview with Wendy the marchers were only walking 4 days a week, with 1 day of challenges, which considering the length of the walk involved seemed ludicrous to me. They should be walking 6 days a wk. But since the producers are trying to create stress and tension I can see why they are putting additional pressure on the marchers. After all the more walkers that quit or are voted out the less money the producers have to give out. The producers have a lot of incentive to want to have the marchers quit. More drama creates ratings, I can understand now why Wendy did not recieve steriod treatments for her feet. Why should the producers pay for it or a longer hospital stay, the pain of her feet will put stress on her and if she erupts, well its good TV and if she quits the producers just saved themselves the $80,000 they would have to shell out to her and another $90,000 they would have had to give the other contestents. This is why they are being so brutal. Even if only one contestent makes it all the way, it is a win win situation for the producers. They have to only pay out $10,000, the marcher had lost weight and is the ultimate surivivor of a reality show. It is also a kick in the face of all obese people as they have been totally esploited for TV ratings by some very heartless people.

stage 3 stats: after 24 days of marching and 200 miles

Anthony - 18 for a total of 55
    Will - 13 for a total of 44
    Michael - 13 for a total of 46
    Matt - 1 for a total of 35 (note he did lose a total of 28lbs at the last weightin so his body is reacting to that much weight loss by holding on to what it has)
    Sam - 15 for a total of 46

Chantal - 8 for a total of 22
    Wendy - quit around the 3 week mark
    Jami Lyn - 9 for a total of 27
    Loralie - 9 for a total of 28
    Shea - 7 for a total of 24

Now it seems that the women are following the pattern of losing weight slower then men. Remember the women are about 100 lbs overweight while the men are carrying around 200 lbs extra. So the heavier men are losing more because they have more to lose and have extra muscle. However the women are getting excellent results after only just over 3 weeks on the program.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I suppose Wendy could have had plantar fascitis before and it came back... I've had it--it is excruciating---makes each step agony--but mostly it can be instantly "cured" by using orthotics---little lumps of hard rubber taped to your foot to press on and stretch the fascia I guess. And then you keep it away by doing stretching--sort of making your leg into an acute angle at the ankle by planting it flat and leaning forward.
    I wonder if Matt was not eating enough also, to send his body into "fasting" mode.
    One thing to remember is that they are gaining muscle, which is heavier than fat....

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2540070;
    I suppose Wendy could have had plantar fascitis before and it came back... I've had it--it is excruciating---makes each step agony--but mostly it can be instantly "cured" by using orthotics---little lumps of hard rubber taped to your foot to press on and stretch the fascia I guess. And then you keep it away by doing stretching--sort of making your leg into an acute angle at the ankle by planting it flat and leaning forward.
    I wonder if Matt was not eating enough also, to send his body into "fasting" mode.
    One thing to remember is that they are gaining muscle, which is heavier than fat....
    I think he lost so much weight the previous weight in; 28 lbs, that his body is in starvation mode and hanging on to every bit of body fat. I'm sure that he will have lost weight by the next weight in. I do think you are right PWS, as Matt is a professional wrestler and has more muscle than the other contestents and probably does need more calories to maintain that.

Last edited by Bearcata; 08-23-2007 at 12:14 AM.

FORT Newbie

Look, People write about me who WEREN'T there. To answer some of your questions: 3 episodes took 6 weeks to film. So BEARCATA, I know what happened in those 6 weeks. Of course the payout is less if not everyone finishes. You can announce 1.2 million dollar prize which sounds GREAT! but if not every one finishes you don't have to pay that. Very smart business.

I walked as far as my feet would take me and when i left I was joyous for all that I had accomplished. 205 miles is a long way to walk. And the fact that i did it the kind of pain I was in, I just didn't talk about the pain all the time like some of my fellow marchers did. I tried to stay happy and upbeat and fun. But the day or so before I left I did so much damage to my feet walking and running 17 miles. I never should have been running. I just got caught up in the moment. And although my trainer Steve thinks that running was great and I should have continues, he wasn't diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis and told to go home by the Doctor, I was.

My WHOLE experience over all was terrific! And I am glad I did it. I had no remorse about going home and I am glad I did, it must have been meant to be because I got pregnant and my husband and I are expecting our first child. We had tried for 4 years and getting in shape, walking and losing 30 pounds was just what I needed to create the right environment for my pregnancy. There is always a bigger picture. And for me it was not to go to D.C but to get injured, go home and make a baby! We are VERY excited and absolutely blessed! - Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyalane;2545275;
    Look, People write about me who WEREN'T there. To answer some of your questions: 3 episodes took 6 weeks to film. So BEARCATA, I know what happened in those 6 weeks. Of course the payout is less if not everyone finishes. You can announce 1.2 million dollar prize which sounds GREAT! but if not every one finishes you don't have to pay that. Very smart business.

I walked as far as my feet would take me and when i left I was joyous for all that I had accomplished. 205 miles is a long way to walk. And the fact that i did it the kind of pain I was in, I just didn't talk about the pain all the time like some of my fellow marchers did. I tried to stay happy and upbeat and fun. But the day or so before I left I did so much damage to my feet walking and running 17 miles. I never should have been running. I just got caught up in the moment. And although my trainer Steve thinks that running was great and I should have continues, he wasn't diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis and told to go home by the Doctor, I was.

My WHOLE experience over all was terrific! And I am glad I did it. I had no remorse about going home and I am glad I did, it must have been meant to be because I got pregnant and my husband and I are expecting our first child. We had tried for 4 years and getting in shape, walking and losing 30 pounds was just what I needed to create the right environment for my pregnancy. There is always a bigger picture. And for me it was not to go to D.C but to get injured, go home and make a baby! We are VERY excited and absolutely blessed! - Wendy
    Then why on the episode does is say/or the narrator say that the Stage 3 week in is day 24?

This was supposed to take 10 wks?? If 3 episodes took 6 weeks to do everybody must had gotten plenty of rest, therefore helping with the Plantar Fascia, BTW why didn't you use your own insurance and get cortisone shots for your feet?? If the first 3 eps were done in 6 wks that means in the remaining 4 wks the team managed to walk 485 miles, a feat indeed.

We need dates, the numbers do not make sense. Also how did you lose 30 lbs when the average for the woman was 22 lbs, again the numbers to not make sense. You hated the food, if so the logical conclusion is you went back to eating exactly how you did before the show and gained all the weight back.

+ Reply to Thread