+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat March

Re: Fat March

I somehow completely missed the existance of this show. I will have to try and catch up and catch it each week, because it sounds like such a cool and productive concept.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2529349;
    This is a link to an article recapping episode 1 and probably explains the rules better than I have.

Fat March Episode 1 - Recap and Rant
    Wow, if you read this and click on the link where Kim stops by to tell her story and then read all the associated comments you will get a very different view of the show.
    I also wondered, what was the point of sleeping on the ground? I would guess that getting up and down from the ground is pretty hard for a lot of these folks, and that their own weight would make sleeping on the ground extremely painful. Kim was told she couldn't have an air mattress because she was "too heavy"!!! Who did they think was on the show? Couldn't they at least find heavy duty (no pun intended!) air mattresses? How can their bodies recover without a good night of sleep? Not only is the ground hard, which will mean their weight will cut off circulation to whatever body part is on the bottom, but it's cold and wicks away body heat.
    It also sounds as if they didn't do a good job fitting them for shoes, providing anti-chafing products, and other things that would make walking more feasible---and that would be useful info for the audience members tempted to "try this at home".

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - ABC's 'Fat March' through Connecticut

link to a new article about the show. What I find interesting is this is the second time I have read an article that mentions the schedule was 4 days walking, 1 day challenge. If you do the math that is 40 days of walking in 10 wks which averages to about 15 miles a day and I don't think these folks are up to that, physically.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2530093;
    Wow, if you read this and click on the link where Kim stops by to tell her story and then read all the associated comments you will get a very different view of the show.
    I also wondered, what was the point of sleeping on the ground? I would guess that getting up and down from the ground is pretty hard for a lot of these folks, and that their own weight would make sleeping on the ground extremely painful. Kim was told she couldn't have an air mattress because she was "too heavy"!!! Who did they think was on the show? Couldn't they at least find heavy duty (no pun intended!) air mattresses? How can their bodies recover without a good night of sleep? Not only is the ground hard, which will mean their weight will cut off circulation to whatever body part is on the bottom, but it's cold and wicks away body heat.
    It also sounds as if they didn't do a good job fitting them for shoes, providing anti-chafing products, and other things that would make walking more feasible---and that would be useful info for the audience members tempted to "try this at home".
    Kim was 225, that is not too heavy for an air mattress. That is a very reasonable weight for a tall man. I am sure they were not sleeping directly on the ground. They had the floor of the tent, propably a sleeping bag pad, like must campers use and a sleeping bag. Not the most comfortable, but doable. As for their weight cutting off their circulation, Kim at 225 is not going to have a problem. Kim expected a hotel and never thought of camping and bitched about it plain and simple. From reading Steve's blog (one of the trainers) the day of the Boston Marathon they had an unexpected cold weather front come in and no one was warm and comfy, they all had to suck it up.

By the second episode the team has been walking 15 days and has done around 140 miles.

Steve mentioned in ep 2 that the teams are eating 2,000 calories divided into 3 small meals and 2 snacks. Now that seemed a bit high to me as in Biggest Looser season one they posted calorie counts and what they were eating on the BL website, (this is before they realized how many people were interested in the shoe and that the network could make money by having a weight loss club) and the women were averaging around 1,200 calories per day and the men around 1,600.

From reading some blogs I also picked up that the team walked 5.5 miles Day 1, but Day 2 and 3 were walking 8.5 miles. Around Day 10 they were up to 10.3 miles.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2531855;
    Kim was 225, that is not too heavy for an air mattress. That is a very reasonable weight for a tall man. I am sure they were not sleeping directly on the ground. They had the floor of the tent, propably a sleeping bag pad, like must campers use and a sleeping bag. Not the most comfortable, but doable. As for their weight cutting off their circulation, Kim at 225 is not going to have a problem. Kim expected a hotel and never thought of camping and bitched about it plain and simple. From reading Steve's blog (one of the trainers) the day of the Boston Marathon they had an unexpected cold weather front come in and no one was warm and comfy, they all had to suck it up.
    So do you think she was lying about the air mattress? I wasn't so worried about her as about some of the MUCH heavier contestants...lots of very heavy people need to sleep with several pillows or an elevated head of the bed just to breathe comfortably while lying down. And the circulation issue can be a major one for them...especially if arteries are starting to clog, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2532282;
    So do you think she was lying about the air mattress? I wasn't so worried about her as about some of the MUCH heavier contestants...lots of very heavy people need to sleep with several pillows or an elevated head of the bed just to breathe comfortably while lying down. And the circulation issue can be a major one for them...especially if arteries are starting to clog, etc.
    That I really don't know. But for the much heavier contestents that were 400 and 500 lbs I can see concern. But I can also see the producers getting some type of medical releases from the contestents own doctors and of course the production staff must have had some kind of medical criteria for the contestents else they would not be able to compete and probably doctors, nurses or EMTs on staff. We are just not getting any of that type of info. Still for purposes of lawsuits etc... there had to be medical personnel with the camera crews, it only makes sense.

Re: Fat March comments on 08/20/07

Stage 3

I really paid attention to the show this time and either I missed this in the two previous episodes or they are just mentioning it now. The walks are timed. One day they had to do 15 miles in 5 hours, the next 13 miles in 4.5 hours. Basically a 20 minute mile. Still for folks who are totally sendentary and each carrying 100, 200, 300 pounds extra that is asking alot. If it was an all day thing, I'm thinking no biggie, but having to eat lunch while walking. I am surprised no one has chocked (sp?) yet. I think some of these folks are being pushed past their physical limits. I mean build up to it but putting a time limit on it especially, 500 lb Shane from ep 1, and poor Matt with his knees. This puts a different twist on things. I am amazed that these people are not wearing heart monitors. The undue stress is really not necessary but it starts to explains some things. I wonder why none of this infomation is on the website over on ABC. I mean after all it is a reality TV show explain the rules. I sprained my knee in March and had to rehab it and if I push walking too fast it hurts I can just imagine what poot Matt is going through. Still I was totally disgusted with Wendy this episode and totally applaud the rest of the walkers in making it to New York City and their amazing weight losses. The program is working, eating right and in proper proportions and exercise does result in weight loss. Antony has lost an amazing 50 lbs in 24 days. The ladies all have lost over 20 lbs and the men from 50 to over 30 lbs each.

I finally caught up with this show last night and I have to say I enjoyed it. Being an overweight individual myself, I thought about how I would handle the walk and if I would be able to do it. It is not an easy task and although I think they should have more assistance on hand for these guys (I know they have a trainer, but someone should be making sure the contestants drink properly and prevent injuries and irratations which hinder their walking) I do also understand that it is essentially a game show and it should not be easy.

I liked this show and will be looking for it again next week.

FORT Fogey

Me too tickerrose. I can't imagine as a large person like myself to sleep on the ground - it's hard enough to get off the floor after petting my dog for 5-10 min.

I do like the fact that they are not voting people out just because of differences, I know I'd be really grumpy even being a team player - once in the middle of the walk on a hot day any grating personality might send me over.

But seeing the nice trails and areas they walked in Connecticut, there are many places around here that would be nice to walk...it's the hills that get to me so the previews of the next half might make or break some.

+ Reply to Thread