+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fat March

Re: Fat March

On Columbus Day weekend there is a marathon in Chicago and the Army 10 miler in DC, which alot of people use to prep for the Marine Corp Marathon later in the year, 2 people died. One in Chicago and one in DC. Chicago's Marathon was the hottest recorded and for some reason the organizers ran out of water. The Army 10 miler was also incredibly humid. What is amazing is that Michael participated in the Chicago Marathon. This is a link to his blog about the marathon. Myspace.com Blogs - my first marathon - Michael from Fat March MySpace Blog
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

As a footnote to Bearcata's post, and not to take away from the craziness of the weather in Chicago last weekend, the guy who died in the Chicago Marathon turned out to have a heart condition. He did not die as a result of the weather. The heat and humidity probably didn't help but the weather was not his cause of death.

Still, kudos to Michael and all the others who made it as far as they did. I wouldn't have even come close. Well, with that weather, I literall wouldnt have come close. I would have stayed at home, in the burbs and my air conditioning!

Quote Originally Posted by talula;2609746;
    As a footnote to Bearcata's post, and not to take away from the craziness of the weather in Chicago last weekend, the guy who died in the Chicago Marathon turned out to have a heart condition. He did not die as a result of the weather. The heat and humidity probably didn't help but the weather was not his cause of death.

Still, kudos to Michael and all the others who made it as far as they did. I wouldn't have even come close. Well, with that weather, I literall wouldnt have come close. I would have stayed at home, in the burbs and my air conditioning!
    There is debate on what might have over-taxed his system and caused the heart attack. His heart condition was not normally fatal, from what I have read. Conspiracy theories abound with how fast the autopsy was done and findings released.

And from a racer in the middle of the pack, one problem was that some of the front (NOT elite runners) were grabbing 8 or more cups of water and dumping them over their heads. Thus the middle of the pack didn't have much water available. In addition, it was difficult to get to the water stations with refills as they would have to use roads (again, from what I've heard from runners).

People DO die in marathons. 26.2 miles is hard. My hubby ran the one in Portland and got two giant blisters on the side of his foot. But he made it in 4:29.32 (he wanted to run under his age and he barely did).

And getting back on topic: Great on how well Michael did. I know some sub-3 hour people who quit at mile 14 or so.

I didn't say that people don't die in marathons. I was saying that the weather did not cause this man to die. I am not disputing anything. Just pointing out that whether or not it was known to him, the man was not in perfect health, as I'm sure many others weren't either. It's just unfortunate that this man's condition was aggravated enough by the circumstances that he died.

As for the water, they actually ran out. People who lived along the marathon route were bringing water from their houses and there were many, many shots on the news (here in Chicago) of all the quikimart type stores packed with runners buying water. I'm impressed that anyone made it as far as they did, let alone finishing the entire marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by talula;2610932;
    I didn't say that people don't die in marathons. I was saying that the weather did not cause this man to die. I am not disputing anything. Just pointing out that whether or not it was known to him, the man was not in perfect health, as I'm sure many others weren't either. It's just unfortunate that this man's condition was aggravated enough by the circumstances that he died.

As for the water, they actually ran out. People who lived along the marathon route were bringing water from their houses and there were many, many shots on the news (here in Chicago) of all the quikimart type stores packed with runners buying water. I'm impressed that anyone made it as far as they did, let alone finishing the entire marathon.
    I agree it was great how well so many people finished or at least did most of it. People were giving out water. They did run out. That is 100 percent accurate. I heard one account of people turning on the fire hydrants (dont' know if that is true or not).

I know runners who were taking anything that was pressed into their hands.

The man, from what I read, was cleared by his doctor to run. It was a known condition which usually is not fatal. Maybe the weather was not a factor at all. Maybe it pushed it over. Who knows?

Didn't mean to say YOU were disputing anything. Just some of the things I have read on various running Web sites. Sorry if I inferred anything. The written word can be misleading without a tone of voice to go with it. Usually I am much more careful.

Back on topic: How great is it that someone who was on Fat March tried this, too? Hope he keeps it up!

Followup:

Just following the Chicago Marathon there was the Marine Corp Marathon in DC which also had problems due to the humidity and lack of water. A 25 yr old male contestent die collapse and die near the finish linel Yesterday it was released that he died of natural causes. He had a heart disease where all his ateries were clodded, which is very rare for someone on his age.

Another link to Will's myspace blog. He has lost a 110lbs and is stuck there.

Myspace.com Blogs - For crying out loud.... - The Champ!!! MySpace Blog

It is quite a long blog. Initially he is quite bitter that all he got out of the Fat March experience is weight loss. Ugh, Big duh there. How many of us would kill for an opportunity like that. I guess he is upset that no one wants to offer him a recording deal. Please that is something he has to make happen not a reality tv show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2701489;
    Another link to Will's myspace blog. He has lost a 110lbs and is stuck there.

Myspace.com Blogs - For crying out loud.... - The Champ!!! MySpace Blog

It is quite a long blog. Initially he is quite bitter that all he got out of the Fat March experience is weight loss. Ugh, Big duh there. How many of us would kill for an opportunity like that. I guess he is upset that no one wants to offer him a recording deal. Please that is something he has to make happen not a reality tv show.
    If he gains his weight back due to NO recording contract, who will he blame?

FORT Newbie

Hello there...

This is Will from Fat March.

Glad to see some people are still talking about it.

Found this thread due to my penchant to vainly looking for things on the internet about myself, lol.

Anyway, I felt compelled to drop a note since you've been posting my blogs and making opinions and whatnot.

For the record, I am NOT bitter about not getting a recording contract. I didn't even say that in my blog. I don't even really have that much confidence in my vocal ability, which was heralded by Wendy, who is a professional singer. Our single can be heard though our duet profile which you can find on my top friends list (since I can't post it here)

What I am bitter about is the opportunities presented to people like those on biggest loser, which I probably would have gotten on too, I just jumped at the first thing that came to me.

There was no fat march tour. There was barely any publicity at all.

I WAS out there trying to market myself and I wasn't allowed to schedule any appearances for myself because they would not grant permission.

I am happy for the weight loss and would never take it back. But when you're in your 20's and making minimum wage, yeah, you're going to be on what you make out in your mind, is this big national television show, that's going to completely change your life in all ways.

And here I am, still working in retail and not as fat. lol

I had dreams that being on the show didn't fulfill, like anyone else, I don't feel like I've said anything in my blog indicating that I'm ungrateful.

But whatever, thanks for watching the show guys and thanks for keeping up with is

Wow, thanks for posting Will. Also congratulations on your continued weight loss.

Still I am surprised that you expected so much out of being on a reality show except losing some weight. Also, outside of losing weight, earning money in challenges and the chance to win $250,000 do all the Biggest Losers contestents really get anything else. Maybe the winners so get a lot of recognition and some change their careers. But I do think they were ready to change the direction of their lives anyway starting with the weight loss.

Anyway thanks for posting it is really nice to hear from the people I enjoyed watching.

+ Reply to Thread