+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Pick-Up Artist

The Pick-Up Artist

Just got finished watching this on VH1. I admit, its total cheese, but Im already hooked!
    Its a bit like Beauty and the Geek, only there are no beauties, just an odd magician named Mystery (channeling Scott Weiland) who writes books about being a pimp. He is easier to take, tho since i googled him and found out he is a reformed nerd, who was a dungeons and Dragons kind of guy. It is nice to see that he has been where they are, rather than just there to make fun of them.
    It will be really interesting if he actually can turn any of these guys into playas.
    anyone else see it??
    Last edited by Christiii; 08-05-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Re: The Pick-Up Artist

I saw it, it was pretty entertaining. I like these strange methods various people always come up with to appeal to the opposite sex.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I read that Neil Strauss book "The Game" and he hung out with Mystery etc. The book was pretty good. I saw a few segments of this on TV and maybe it's 'cause I'm older and been there/done that...but Mystery and his two wingmen just sounded too pushy/obnoxious telling the girls to buy them drinks. The process is supposed to "intrigue" the girls, but I would just shut them down with a swift, "No." None of them are good looking enough OR charming enough for me to plunk down $5 to buy them anything. (In the book, they always get the women to pay for them.)

seriously! if a dude tells me to by HIM a drink, I couldnt get away from him fast enough, headband and goggles or no headband and goggles!

FORT Fan

I'll also continue to watch - but because I like the nerds, not because I like Mystery or his fur hat and diving goggles.

As a woman, this intermittent reinforcement manipulation offends me. If one of these sleazoids approached me in a bar I might be caught on camera laughing and giggling, but it would be because I found Mystery and his wing men laughable.

As for the nerds, I hope that this show provides them with the confidence that they are attractive, likeable people who don't need a "script" in order to meet women who like them.

Yeah I didn't think that could pick up women. They were asking them to buy them drinks.

FORT Newbie

I caught the first 30 minutes, will try to catch the 2nd 30 minutes during one of the other 20 times this thing will be aired.

I thought they did a good job of making the guys (the contestants not Mystery and his sidekicks) likable. I like that they had a 45 year old guy (my age) in the group, but I think ultimately it will turn out to be an odd fit, and they will let him go early.

I got quite a laugh when they introduced Mystery and his two butt boys. Mystery looked like he was wearing a lot of makup, including some dramatic eyeliner. And what was with the head scarf and Goggles, does he always wear that?...oh yea...his name is 'Mystery'...silly me.

I think snarking on Mystery alone will be enough reason to watch this show, and if I learn some makeup and fashion tips in the process, even better!

They must get the women to sign releases in advance, hence the women must know this is being filmed. Me sensing a stacked deck, don't see how the show could be produced any other way. Most of these women are likely wantabe actresses that will be willing to play along in order to get on camera.

I can't believe these `nerds' are taking advice from a guy wearing a giant fur hat.
    This guys seductive charms are totally lost on me. Oh , wait, that's because I'm sober and I'm not standing in a dimly lit bar room. And i have this thing called self-esteem.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

FORT Newbie

I just caught the second half of the first episode. A few things stand out to me as far as the 'club' sceen went. 1. All the women were slender and attractive, white or latino, and between 21 and 28. 2. There were more guys than girls. 3. I saw guys smoking in the background, (I'm pretty sure all of CA bars are smoke free, and that this was filmed in CA).

All that just reinforces my prior suspicions that this was a stacked deck. IMHO, It was a private party, all the women were prescreened and told about the show, they don't need to give the women scripts, they just need a few hints about how they are expected to behave and most will play along just to get the chance to be on TV.

Does Mystery color his finger nails? What a freak.

As far as the "Mystery used to be a nerd" storyline. My BS detector goes off when I see stuff like that. It's typical, in fact cliche, of any 'guru' who is trying to market their consulting/books/courses to the public to paint their past in such a way that it appeals to their target market. It's almost as if one can't write a book on investment advice today unless one has previously filed Bankruptcy.

this show is borderline sad/hysterical for me. And I just realized that Mystery is like the love child of Chris Angel and Lucas from Rockstar: Supernova... except Mystery's guyliner is better applied than Lucas's
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast