+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Pick-Up Artist

FORT Newbie

Re: The Pick-Up Artist

It is hard for me to invision a senario where Cosmo doesn't win. Brady is the classic good looking guy, so Mystery can't pick him as the winner, if would be just admiting that looks do matter, which is contray to Mystery's general marketing stance, and adverse to Mystery's marketablity. And I just don't see 'extrovert pretending to be an introvert' Fat Joe all of a sudden transforming into "attraction mode", because welll....although he could be considered attractive for a guy who is 100 pounds over weight, he is.....ah.... 100 pounds overweight. And I am just not buying the Fat Joe was a reclusive computer nerd storyline.

I don't understand why Fat Joe got so upset over a little slap. It seemed like a reasonable response to being man handled and feminized by a guy twice Pradeep's size. At the time of the slap Cosmo seemed to hardly notice, but then afterwards, IMHO, Cosmo decided to side with Fat Joe and started to twist the event to support Fat Joe's position. Cosmo is great at self delusion, another reason he is the favorite to win.

I wonder if Pradeep's line about coming from a long line of Physicians is true or just part of his 'game', or both.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Land Pirate;2568364;
    I don't understand why Fat Joe got so upset over a little slap. It seemed like a reasonable response to being man handled and feminized by a guy twice Pradeep's size. At the time of the slap Cosmo seemed to hardly notice, but then afterwards, IMHO, Cosmo decided to side with Fat Joe and started to twist the event to support Fat Joe's position.
    ITA and said a similar thing. I'm surprised Pradeep didn't say, "Dude, YOU KISSED ME." I was surprised he just kind of gave in. I think the guys just don't like Pradeep.

FORT Newbie

My opinion is that it would be easier to pick up the typical stripper in a stripclub than the typical preoccupied moving target in a park. This is based upon my life experience, others may disagree.

One of the women Kosmo tried to 'open' looked to be in her 40s.

I think Fat Joe has effectivelly killed the 'two girls fighting over a guy named George' opener for the remainder of eternity.

I think most men's 'game' would be improved by being driven around in a super stretch limo. Perhaps they should have tried to work the limo into the Bridge pickup sequence. Have them drive up to the walker/joggers and strike up a conversation, ala Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber.

At what point did they interrupt Brady and Strippergirl? I'd like to see how that was handled.

Mystery really looked effeminate (sp?) without a hat. No wonder he wears a hat.

I'm not believing that Mystery's choice at the end was difficult.

Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Pirate;2576562;

I think Fat Joe has effectivelly killed the 'two girls fighting over a guy named George' opener for the remainder of eternity.
    UGH YES! He was killing me every set he tried to open with that. I don't remember him using another opening line in the entire series either did he? I liked Joe most of the way through the series, but the more he toyed with that line the more he lost his value in my eyes.

Now I'm torn with Cosmo and Brady going into the finale....they both have good and bad moments but honestly I don't see either one as what Mystery is looking for in a "Master Pick Up Artist".

Not that they'd want to but there's no way any of those guys (Mystery included) could pick me up with those cheesy, transparent lines. And none of them are good looking enough to get away with anything that burps out of their lips.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022;2577008;
    Now I'm torn with Cosmo and Brady going into the finale....they both have good and bad moments but honestly I don't see either one as what Mystery is looking for in a "Master Pick Up Artist".
    I completely agree. I think Cosmo has maybe come the farthest but I don't see him being on the same level as the other guys. On that note, I think Mystery's lines are completely crazy. Being a single female at the bar, I would laugh in face of their crap. If some guy came up to me and told me to buy him a drink he would get laughed at...really hard.

Mystery obviously doesn't pick up the "girl next door"... More likely the skank on the corner. These lines and gimicks won't work on the average girl with any shred of self esteem and intelligence.

I just saw this thread and had to post my thoughts. This concerns this show and The Game, but let me first say this.

I am a pretty ambitious nerd in my 20 going for my bachelors in biomedical engineering (Woot!). But i have never been able to successfully get past a first date. Why? Because i have a problem playing the game. I can usually play/tease with a girl as well as the next person at the club, but i can't stand it more than a few weeks. I hate bull****ting. I don't like pretending that I have somewhere to go when i really don't. I don't like pretending that I am only conscious of this girl as a friend, when really i might see this girl as the most beautiful chick in the world (that's after a while, you know. like a long time before i feel that). But never the less i really, really hate acting or saying things that aren’t true, that aren’t me.

So anyways, how this relates to this show: My brother bought me The Game (read it!) about 6 months ago when i pretty much gave up ever thinking about having a wife or any girlfriend ever again. So i read it. The first half of the book was boring, weird, and ... well of not much interest. But a little way through the second half things start to build. Soon, as depicted in this book (Neil seemed to have really jumped through time here), he is a babe magnet attracting women of all types. I gotta say this... from the start of the book he sounded much like me. A nice guy with good morals that is looking for two things:
    1) the ability to approach, communicate with, and build a relationship (friend or lover) with any girl he wants. To have no lack of confidence.
    2) to be able to find the girl he truly wants. (This book was really good, so give it a shot (and i mean a whole one. Not just for the first half of the book))
    -This book, through the mesh, taught me a ton (because i was able to relate with Neil so much, it was frightening). It taught me how to go about a social scene without being self-conscious, and instead be relaxed, talkative, and confident. It really has done a lot for me. It also taught me how to be patient a little more patient, and to just … not give a woot if my targeted goal isn’t achieved or even if it is ‘stolen’ from me. It never was mine in the first place. As a guy, its my job to have fun, be myself (not lye), be talkative, and to not be strung out about anything. If I have a vibe of having fun and being easy going, people in general are attracted to it. That's what the book taught me.

So this show came out. I was like: “WOW! Mystery has his own show! Wow, ever since the book was released I have kind of wanted to go to one of these workshops… now he is basically airing one on TV. Cool…”

Bummer… This show was cheesy to extremes. I had previously seen a clip of Mystery teaching on Youtube, and some of it was bad, but you manage to understand what he is trying to get at. But this!!! This was just lame to the extreme…

ONE: You don’t see Style at all (the author of The Game)

TWO: Mystery talks to the camera in… the dumbest way I’ve ever seen (you know? When the show is cut, just so you see him in his ‘throne chair’ with candles burning beside him. And he continues to give the viewer some advice or something stupid).
    THREE: You don’t see the ‘Players’ actually play the game in the club. They edited way to much so you practically see them enter, talk to a chick (with fakes, usually), and then HEY! They are making out…. Not very helpful to anyone.

FOUR: the medallions… wow I am so jelous that I can’t one of those! I wish I had the blue medallion cause it stands for air *breathe* I’d be able to use my new air abilities to flow up to a girl in style. I’d be unstoppable like the air! …. Idk, that’s all just dumb, I was disappointed when I saw that cause I thought I might have accidentally mistaken this show as a show made for guys like me, rather than a show for little boys that still play pokemon. Idk.

FIVE: Pradeep. How the **** did he last that long??? Seriously. Just seeing that kid act like he was cool, pissed me off. That kid was the biggest idiot I’ve ever seen. Dumber than some of those blondes on Beauty and the Geek. They should have just kicked him off on the first day. He was just so oblivious.

Enough said. The show disappointed.

Bwinks, I read "The Game" too and wrote about it in an earlier post. But I think the show actually is a good representation of the book. The book was entertaining, but it was as much a work of fiction as it was a memoir (in my opinion). The book actually was more entertaining than the show, but the things that Style (aka Neil Strauss) wrote about is evident in what's going on in this show. To me, the guys in the book were losers--pretty much the same as the contestants/players in this series--regardless of their ability to "close" women.

The thing that I think is really unfortunate is that everyone is going for the quick fix here. Tricking a girl (who probably wants to be tricked) into kissing you or buying you a drink isn't a substitute for real friendship or a relationship. Mystery bragged that met a woman in a grocery store and 30 minutes later, she was naked in his hotel room. Big whoop. He probably didn't mention that he had to pay her $50 for the honor and needed a shot of penicillin afterwards.

There comes a time when "nerds" are attractive to women. Probably not in high school, but starting from college on. Give me a chemistry or math major over a dork who looks like Rocky the Flying Squirrel any day!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinks;2579877;

But never the less i really, really hate acting or saying things that arenít true, that arenít me...

...My brother bought me The Game ...

...As a guy, its my job to have fun, be myself (not lye), be talkative, and to not be strung out about anything. If I have a vibe of having fun and being easy going, people in general are attracted to it. That's what the book taught me.
    I can relate. Do not take this the wrong way, because this is not meant to be critical. But, is it possible that you had resistance initially to using preplanned "routines/lines/whatever you want to call it" because you percieved it as a lie. But that after reading the book(and assoicated websites), that your resistance to preplanned routines wore off and you accepted that it was not a lie but a socially acceptable way for a guy to get past the awkward first five minutes of meeting a girl? Or maybe I am just reading something into your post that isn't there.

+ Reply to Thread