+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Pick-Up Artist

FORT Fogey

Re: The Pick-Up Artist

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;2548183;
    Eric/Mystery has some sort of weird speech thing going, he has this stilted, cadence in his voice. It's distracting.
    I said it before (read post 34) He's got a lisp and he works very hard to circumvent it. Hence the stilted cadence. It's most obvious at the end of the show, when he's talking directly to the camera.

FORT Newbie

How much BS was it that Scott, the hardest worker in the group, gets cut? But Preedip arguably the least attentive in applying Mystery's method gets to stay? I think Mystery recognized that, despite how hard Scott was working, he was just too much a classic asperger syndrome type nerd for him to gain much success from the method. And that since a large part of Mystery's target market for his "method" is guys just like Scott, it would be a huge embaressement to Mystery if Scott continued to apply the methods, but obtained poor results. Hence Mystery cut Scott for Mystery's own self interest, not because Scott deserved to be cut. Of the five remaining guys, one looks like a male model, two are above average in looks and have extrovert personalities (Gay Joe and Cosmo), one is a chubby extrovert, and Pradeep (who will probably leave next week). The three guys least attractive/outgoing guys were the first three to go, amazing coincidence.

I have not noticed any speech impediment from Mystery.

Far be it from me to defend the nutcase known as Mystery but..as far as the--- "I would not fall for that" stance that some women have taken. Well.. as the joke goes.. "if there was no demand for arrogant jerks there would be no supply". I'm hardly an expert, but I think Mystery's discussion of the "negs" and the "rolloffs" and other mind games is more of a way to make himself look the knowledgable guru than as practicle advice to anyone other than a few PUA geeks. And ironicly, I think women would be more inclined to label and blow off a sincere but insecure guy trying one of mystery's lines, than they would a practiced 'player' running an entire routine on them.

Did anyone catch the big "gambit" Mystery taught Pradeep? What the hell was that? It was ridiculous.
    If a guy tried that on me I'd just laugh. What was with the kissing sound Mystery made at the end of it?
    Anyway, I've seen clips of the gambit scene on the soup about 3 times now and I still don't understand it.

I agree fully with whoever said all the manipulative tricks meant to disarm women are really offensive. It smacks of the "women love men who treat them like dirt" school of thought.

Oh, and Pradeep really bugs me.

okay, I must be a sap, because Im really getting sucked into this show. I love these guys!! Ok, maybe not the wingmen, but even Mystery is growing on me. He is really teaching these guys how to be more secure in themselves, under the guise of picking up women. Even the puppy was cute tonite!

Quote Originally Posted by Christiii;2557187;
    okay, I must be a sap, because Im really getting sucked into this show. I love these guys!! Ok, maybe not the wingmen, but even Mystery is growing on me. He is really teaching these guys how to be more secure in themselves, under the guise of picking up women. Even the puppy was cute tonite!
    I too found it ....touching? These guys seem really sweet and getting more confident. Reminds me of beauty and the geek a bit. I love how they are so supportive to each other as well. I would never have thought that I would say that about a show with a guy named 'Mystery' donning a furry hat.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fogey

I love this show, in the same weird way I thought the finale of charm school girls was touching.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;2557337;
    I too found it ....touching? These guys seem really sweet and getting more confident. Reminds me of beauty and the geek a bit. I love how they are so supportive to each other as well. I would never have thought that I would say that about a show with a guy named 'Mystery' donning a furry hat.
    It is touching! The guys are so loveable, and i find myself so happy for their growing confidence- and in that way it's very much like beauty & the geek (which I loved).

But Mystery's boasting about picking up a woman at the grocery store and having her naked in his room within minutes skeeved me out.
    Why is that something to be proud of?
    It speaks more to that particular girl's poor judgement than to his "skill."
    As an aside, does anyone here watch the Soup on E? There was a clip of Mystery in his stupid red baron goggles and Joel McHale refered to him as "Sky Captain of Tomorrow."

So who are everyone's picks to win?
    I'm rooting for both Joe D and Kosmo.

You gotta root for Kosmo--he just has that puppy dog quality that makes you want to bring him home to mom. The thing these guys all have that Mystery and his Wingmen lack, is a conscience. I don't get the impression that they are in this to become Pick up Artists, as much as they would just like to be confident enough to attract and maintain a relationship. Can't believe I'm sucked into this show...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I dunno...there's something about the looks of Cosmo, Brady and Joe D. that gives me the skeeves. Cosmo looks like he could play Liberace in a movie. Maybe if they cut his hair and took away the surprised look his eyebrows give him, he'd look better. Brady looks horrible as a blond--he's got the kind of looks I really don't like on a guy, very pale, pointy and just kind weasely. I was surprised that he's the one considered good looking. Joe D. (the heavy one) just always sweats too much. He also reminds me of a pig. Not because of his weight, but because his nose turns up. He also reminds me of someone I knew--in looks, and unfortunately, this person is a woman!!!--that I couldn't stand.

Did I see something wrong tonight? Joe and Cosmo were yelling at Pradeep for slapping Joe in the face. But didn't Joe try to KISS him, while showing off his move? (a) The slap didn't look like that big a deal and (b) That's what you get when you try to kiss your roommates (even when trying to show them that's what you intend on doing to a girl that evening).

And Tara and the other girl that are on the show...they just come across like hookers to me. With the proverbial heart of gold....

Mystery...I know who he reminds me of. ROCKY! As in "moose and squirrel" from "Bullwinkle." He's always dressed like Rocky with his avatar glasses on his head!

Each time I see Brady, I see a blonde Superman (Christopher Reeve). Joe D always has one of his eyes drooping, I think it's the right one. So he looks especially weird when he cries.

+ Reply to Thread