+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Pick-Up Artist

FORT Newbie

Re: The Pick-Up Artist

Nemese, it is meant to be taken as seriously as any other serious Reality TV program. I personally don't take any Reality TV program seriously.

I found the second epiosde on my DVR tonight, so I assume it was been broadcast and it is fair game to post about it.

I think Fatadore successfully channeled the ghost of 80s John Stamos tonight, way to go Fatadore, have a Meadallion!

The Metrosexual Medallions may be the Chessiest challenge award ever devised.

It was an interesting twist to see "spoon" volunter for elimination, I thought it was a hoot how the three stooges tried to talk him out of it by suggesting that quiting their silly competition somehow would adversely effect his entire life. How would they know?, their lives are preoccupied by self promtion, self grooming, fashion choices and 'game' plans, aside from being succeessful 'players' what have any off them done in their lives?

I really think that they were planning to cut the 45 year old virgin. He isn't so in awe of the three gamers as is the rest of the group. His choice of clothing in the competition was a disaster, but I'm not buying Mystery's line that 22 year old girls could be attracted to 45 year old guys that have their act together ( excepting maybe 1 in 20), and why would he even be attracted to 22 year old women? (I'm not, and I get carded frequently), watching him trying to pickup 22 year old girls is just creepy, and of no benefit to him.

I wonder how much strategic thought went into Fatboy's choice of wingmen? The strategic move would be to pick the two worst players as your wingmen, woudln't it? What is the prize to the winner anyway?... a week of hanging out with Gay-dawg?

I'm just not believing that Brady needs help meeting women, the guy could be a male model.

FORT Fanatic

this show makes me want to cry. it kills me. I LOVE IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Land Pirate;2525151;
    Nemese, it is meant to be taken as seriously as any other serious Reality TV program. I personally don't take any Reality TV program seriously.
    Ah, thanks for the reply, Land Pirate. It's so hard to tell which ones producers actually think people will take seriously anymore, such as the first couple of seasons when they expected people to believe The Simple Life was an unscripted 'true' reality show. At least by the last 2 seasons, they gave up pretending the public was supposed to take it seriously, so that's why I was wondering about this show.

Wow, if I hadn't accidentally caught a few minutes of this show with my own eyes, I'd never have believed it. Well, hopefully no one really takes this 'Mystery' () guy seriously, or the show. Some shows, more than I wish, are ones you just have to watch with an attitude of them being unintentional comedy. Either that or wonder what therapy sessions some of the show producers are missing these days.

Thanks again, Lois and Land Pirate. Now I understand
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2523071;
    This show came on right after another show I was watching today, so I watched the first 10 minutes of it. Wow, just wow. Is this show supposed to be taken seriously? I'm not being facetious, nor insulting any real fans of the show (every show will have fans, no matter what), I'm just really curious if this show is supposed to be taken seriously or if it's a satire on something? With reality shows anymore, it's hard to know when one is supposed to be viewed for laughs or is serious about it's concept.

I watched those 10 minutes, and after laughing so hard at this Mystery guy (name is wrong, by the way, this guy is totally transparent, no mystery about him at all) and making mental lists of how many things are horribly ugly and offensive about him, I finally switched channels. I seriously couldn't find one likeable thing about 'Mystery', including the pretentious laughable name he likes to call himself. So to be asked to believe that such an obnoxious and pathetic guy is suppossed to instruct other guys on his technique to pick up women (pardon me a sec... ) just stretches my imagination past the human breaking point. If this guy is supposed to be what some other guys think is cool, and the way to interact with women, then it's a sad future for some of those guys and the females who find themselves in their path.

Just watching 'Mystery' for those few minutes makes me feel like I need to take a shower, like I've been around someone dirty and ill -- same way Madonna makes me feel, by the way. There were 2-3 of those guys there to learn from 'Mystery' () that didn't need the concept, they'd be fine on their own, and certainly better off without whatever they pick up there. I realize the guys there to learn had to audition and are supposedly actors playing their part, so this is why I'm honestly asking someone who knows more about this show if they can tell me if this is supposed to be a satire or a fake-reality show (a la Simple Life)? Again, no offense meant to anyone who truly enjoys the show, we all have opinions and I respect everyone's right to have and enjoy theirs, so hopefully mine will be taken the same way. Even though my question might seem snarky, it's really a sincere question. Thanks

I weep for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzonequeen;2522019;
    OMG! This show is just something else. If Mystery or one of his wingman guys came up to me, I think I would end up dumping a drink on them.

The show was filmed in Austin, Texas. I hear it's a great place for single, 20 & 30 somethings. I think I'm going to have to check it out!

Austin is a great town if you are single and there is such a varitey of people here. I believe the house they are using is a house on Lake Travis, and the Clubs are on 6th street.

Quote Originally Posted by Spad1918;2525668;
    I weep for the future.
    HAHAHAHAHHA

FORT Fan

You know, I don't dislike this show or its premise. True, none of these guys are exactly curing cancer, but social anxiety can be crippling. Most of these guys are reasonably attractive, or could be with more confidence. But what they lack is that confidence, and the ability to connect with women that they are interested in. Maybe going through this process, they will learn that looks matter less than being an interesting, charismatic person. And that's where the confidence will come from. I mean, look at the 3 guys, Mystery, Matadore and J-Dog - none of them are classically good looking at all. But they have something that can captivate women enough so that they can "crack that set" or whatever their objective is. Mystery is totally channelling 80's style Perry Farrell - but you know, the look works for him, and sets him apart from all the other, more conventional guys that parade around the average club. If he came up to me in a club I'd probably talk to him and have a good time (don't know about buying him a drink, but I wouldn't be repelled by that request). That poor Spoon, he was PETRIFIED by women! He's the one that needed these lessons the most, and I think that's why they were so "Oh, consider this move carefully, it will affect the rest of your life" - not because ceasing to participate in their little reality show will really have any effect, but because if he responds to things that are difficult for him by giving up, that is a mindset that WILL have grave repercussions for the rest of his life. And he was such a sweetie, I was really looking forward to watching his terror abate and for him to get more comfortable talking to women. The most important lesson for him to learn is that every guy gets rejected, and that's fine, no one's going to die because a woman refused to give him her number. You simply try again. I really really hope he finds a woman that is patient enough to allow him to grow comfortable with her, and reveal his real personailty, which seemed so adorable.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I don't think that bars are a good setting for a lot of these guys, though. Spoon and that older guy (the 45-year-old virgin), for instance). And that's where Mystery was going to make them socialize. Spoon is so into music etc. I would think he could talk to women better at Lollapalooza or a used record store. Being able to talk to strangers (of both sexes) is the key to meeting a potential date. If you can't talk to people, you can't ask them out. When I was younger, I found it very difficult to meet the type of people I wanted to in bars. For hanging out and going dancing, it was fun. But I met the guys I ended up dating in "real-life" situations--jogging, playing volleyball and tennis, at the ice skating rink, rollerblading, at school, in line at Starbucks, at friends' parties, at weddings (for real!) etc.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by manicorganic;2532283;
    You know, I don't dislike this show or its premise. True, none of these guys are exactly curing cancer, but social anxiety can be crippling. Most of these guys are reasonably attractive, or could be with more confidence. But what they lack is that confidence, and the ability to connect with women that they are interested in....
    I don't dislike the premise of the show or the contestants either, I just like snarking Mystery and his wingmen.

Well, I do dislike the elimation format of the show. Format: get together a bunch of guys whose greatest fear is rejection by women, then one by one start to reject them from the show them based upon their performance with women. Seems rather cruel.

Of all people, why is 'Mystery' the teacher?!
    My boyfriend and I attempted to watch an episode of this the other night, but we both ended up ripping on Mystery the whole time, and I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in the show

+ Reply to Thread