+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Pick-Up Artist

Re: The Pick-Up Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Land Pirate;2516351;
    3. I saw guys smoking in the background, (I'm pretty sure all of CA bars are smoke free, and that this was filmed in CA).
    I think the show is filmed in Houston Texas, as I heard a few people mention being from around the Houston area.

I personally fell in love with this show as soon as I saw it. The lovable characters and the charisma of Mystery, Matador and J-Dog really hooked me.

My favorites are Brady and Joe. I feel as if both of them could really turn themselves around and become the next pickup artist...

Favorite quotes of the show:
    - "How'd your family do in Katrina?"
    -"How do you know who you know?"

I'm going to keep watching, for multiple reasons.... I think Mystery is a hunk, and if he came up to me in a bar, I'd sooo be all over him.
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

OMG! This show is just something else. If Mystery or one of his wingman guys came up to me, I think I would end up dumping a drink on them.

The show was filmed in Austin, Texas. I hear it's a great place for single, 20 & 30 somethings. I think I'm going to have to check it out!

I have no idea why, but his cockiness attracts me to him... Maybe it's the hair?
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...

FORT Fogey

I saw about 20 mins of the first show. I do not believe the guy that says everyone thinks he is gay. He reminded me of a Steve Sanders of "BH 90210" type of guy, a ladies man only pretending to be a nerd.
    I plan to watch it when it is on again.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2522199;
    I have no idea why, but his cockiness attracts me to him... Maybe it's the hair?
    RealityDiva, nothing wrong with that! When I was your age (teens) a million years ago, I liked guys with long hair, didn't mind the whole makeup/nail polish thing--seemed "alternative" and fun at the time. I don't think Mystery's an ugly guy and I actually don't mind all the hair and makeup he has on. But the thing is, I don't think he or his wingmen are good looking enough to get away with having their personalities--which to me aren't sexy or desireable, but rather pushy and cocky with no merit (how educated are they? How do they benefit society? Do they have jobs other than mooching off of women?). I admit that in my single days, I dated several guys for much longer than I should have because they were so darned good looking (stupid reason, I know!). But Mystery and his guys aren't drop dead good looking--especially the little skunk haired dude. As for the other wingman, he needs to go on Jenny Craig.

I don't think a guy has to be drop dead gorgeous to get a girl. It helps if he is--and if he has money, all the better--but that's not necessarily going to get him the quality girls. But I think except for the 45 year old who said he wants to get married, all these "nerds" just want to get laid. Personality (and hygiene!) really are underrated...and they are both so important in relationships. To me, what Mystery is teaching is as silly as what that "Rules" book touted about manipulating men into asking you out. Yes, you can manipulate some women into buying you a drink. But manipulating a relationship? I don't think so, Lucy! Instead of teaching them how to trick women into buying them drinks, they should teach these socially-inept guys how to talk to people.

Oh, and it didn't really seem like they were asking the women to buy them drinks. They were telling them to. And that would totally turn me off. I love treating my friends and I treated my dates, too! Hey, I was working and made good money--why shouldn't I? But my dates never TOLD me to take them out or buy them dinner. (Actually, one guy did and I dumped him.)
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-12-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2522482;
    RealityDiva, nothing wrong with that! When I was your age (teens) a million years ago, I liked guys with long hair, didn't mind the whole makeup/nail polish thing--seemed "alternative" and fun at the time. I don't think Mystery's an ugly guy and I actually don't mind all the hair and makeup he has on. But the thing is, I don't think he or his wingmen are good looking enough to get away with having their personalities--which to me aren't sexy or desireable, but rather pushy and cocky with no merit (how educated are they? How do they benefit society? Do they have jobs other than mooching off of women?). I admit that in my single days, I dated several guys for much longer than I should have because they were so darned good looking (stupid reason, I know!). But Mystery and his guys aren't drop dead good looking--especially the little skunk haired dude. As for the other wingman, he needs to go on Jenny Craig.

I don't think a guy has to be drop dead gorgeous to get a girl. It helps if he is--and if he has money, all the better--but that's not necessarily going to get him the quality girls. But I think except for the 45 year old who said he wants to get married, all these "nerds" just want to get laid. Personality (and hygiene!) really are underrated...and they are both so important in relationships. To me, what Mystery is teaching is as silly as what that "Rules" book touted about manipulating men into asking you out. Yes, you can manipulate some women into buying you a drink. But manipulating a relationship? I don't think so, Lucy! Instead of teaching them how to trick women into buying them drinks, they should teach these socially-inept guys how to talk to people.

Oh, and it didn't really seem like they were asking the women to buy them drinks. They were telling them to. And that would totally turn me off. I love treating my friends and I treated my dates, too! Hey, I was working and made good money--why shouldn't I? But my dates never TOLD me to take them out or buy them dinner. (Actually, one guy did and I dumped him.)
    Oh, I so agree with you about the other 2 guys. When I saw Matador and J-Dog, I was like, oookay... They're not that good looking. But, perhaps the whole point of the show is that you don't have to be good looking to get an attractive woman.

Joe, the "gay" guy, looks exactly like a guy that I went with for a short period of time. When I saw him, I took a double-take.

Seriously though, if Mystery walked up to me in a club (in 5 years when I am legally allowed... ) and demanded me to get him a drink, I would. The funny thing is, my current boyfriend of a year is the complete opposite of Mystery... Quiet, polite, not a ladie's man... But, he DID have long hair for awhile. It must be the hair that attracts me to him...

FORT Newbie

I think you make a lot of good points LL. I have no doubt there is a significant segment of the female demographic between 14 and 24 that is atracted to the MTV rocker look that Mystery mimics, and that any young guy that is willing to go to the trouble to mimic the MTV rocker look is going to get a lot of attention from rebellious club (and pre-club) girls, simply because there are not that many men of any substance over the age of 22 that are willing to sacrafice their carrers and value system just to score some club girls.

Just for grins I tried to figure out how old Mystery was, thanks to Google I found this Cached bio of him from an agent website, Erik von Markovik
    It lists his age as 25, but there is no way of telling how old that bio is. My guess would be that the bio is two years old since it focuses primarily on his street magic skills, and that he is now 27.

From now on I am going to call his wingmen: "Gay-dawg" and "FatAdore".

And yes, the theme of the show/sales pitch is that "looks don't matter", which is somewhat ironic since most of the posts on this board by women comment on how cute Mystery or Joe or Jason, or whomever on the show is, and that since there are cute their problem must be that they have unrealistic standards, or that they are faking it just to get on the show.
    Last edited by Land Pirate; 08-13-2007 at 12:36 AM.

This show came on right after another show I was watching today, so I watched the first 10 minutes of it. Wow, just wow. Is this show supposed to be taken seriously? I'm not being facetious, nor insulting any real fans of the show (every show will have fans, no matter what), I'm just really curious if this show is supposed to be taken seriously or if it's a satire on something? With reality shows anymore, it's hard to know when one is supposed to be viewed for laughs or is serious about it's concept.

I watched those 10 minutes, and after laughing so hard at this Mystery guy (name is wrong, by the way, this guy is totally transparent, no mystery about him at all) and making mental lists of how many things are horribly ugly and offensive about him, I finally switched channels. I seriously couldn't find one likeable thing about 'Mystery', including the pretentious laughable name he likes to call himself. So to be asked to believe that such an obnoxious and pathetic guy is suppossed to instruct other guys on his technique to pick up women (pardon me a sec... ) just stretches my imagination past the human breaking point. If this guy is supposed to be what some other guys think is cool, and the way to interact with women, then it's a sad future for some of those guys and the females who find themselves in their path.

Just watching 'Mystery' for those few minutes makes me feel like I need to take a shower, like I've been around someone dirty and ill -- same way Madonna makes me feel, by the way. There were 2-3 of those guys there to learn from 'Mystery' () that didn't need the concept, they'd be fine on their own, and certainly better off without whatever they pick up there. I realize the guys there to learn had to audition and are supposedly actors playing their part, so this is why I'm honestly asking someone who knows more about this show if they can tell me if this is supposed to be a satire or a fake-reality show (a la Simple Life)? Again, no offense meant to anyone who truly enjoys the show, we all have opinions and I respect everyone's right to have and enjoy theirs, so hopefully mine will be taken the same way. Even though my question might seem snarky, it's really a sincere question. Thanks
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Nemeses, what's on the show is pretty much what was documented in Neil Strauss' memoir "The Game." Mystery was his teacher in the book and I think the ending revealed that Mystery lived at home with his parents still (or something like that) and was also mooching off a girlfriend. I'm sorry, but a guy in his late 20's who lives with his parents just does NOT have game in my book! (It's a whole different story if he moved his parents into HIS home to take care of them...but that's not the case.)

Quote Originally Posted by Land Pirate;2522831;
    From now on I am going to call his wingmen: "Gay-dawg" and "FatAdore".

RealityDiva, you're drop dead gorgeous even at 16 and I can only imagine that you will be even more gorgeous at 21! I think I read a post elsewhere that you've already graduated from high school. I know you won't believe me but trust me, you can do sooooooooooooo much better than a Mystery. I promise!

I also find it interesting that the only one that he seems to attract (on the FoRT) is a 16-year-old who is too young for him! (This is no offense to you RD! I liked my share of embarrasing celebrities when I was 16!)
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-13-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2523937;
    Nemeses, what's on the show is pretty much what was documented in Neil Strauss' memoir "The Game." Mystery was his teacher in the book and I think the ending revealed that Mystery lived at home with his parents still (or something like that) and was also mooching off a girlfriend. I'm sorry, but a guy in his late 20's who lives with his parents just does NOT have game in my book! (It's a whole different story if he moved his parents into HIS home to take care of them...but that's not the case.)
    Thanks for responding, Lois I'm not familiar with Neil Strauss or the memoir you mentioned. So I'm still a bit confused, though. Are you saying the show actually is based on those memoirs, and is meant by the producers to be taken seriously (the ridiculous concept aside), or at least as seriously as any others of it's type?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread