+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The Pick-Up Artist

Re: The Pick-Up Artist

I read the book "The Game" about Mystery and his friends and was appalled - I couldn't believe how lame the lines were and that they actually worked. But seeing it on TV, I see the pluses of this whole scene when pulled off properly.

I'm a decent looking 30-year-old professional; I get hit on at bars sometimes, and one of my biggest pet peeves is when I'm in the middle of a conversation with my friends and a guy butts in (unless he's abnormally hot) and just starts hitting on one of us (even if it's me). Usually I'm thinking, how long will this guy be bothering us, and how can we politely get rid of him? I like that Mystery advises guys to say they have to get back to their friends. I also like that he emphasizes including everyone in the group.

These lines don't work when you have someone who's too high-energy, like the guy on last night's ep (10/19). Those are the guys that make me uncomfortable. You really have to have that aloof attitude.

What strikes me as the most irritating thing on this show is all the lingo and the pageantry. I feel like I'm watching a World of Warcraft meeting with all the medallions, the goth gear, and the abbreviations (I'm waiting for Mystery to say someone got PWNED).

I hate to admit that I absolutely LOVE this show! It started when I was on an extended vacation to Florida last summer and I used to rush back to our vacation home every Sunday night to watch it. I was hooked, and this season is just as good. Cheesy and completely ridiculous, which usually equals good. I definitely don't get Mystery and his tactics - if some guy in a furry hat, eyeliner, black nail polish and more jewelry than I had on approached me in a dark bar, twirled me around and told me that Elvis died his hair, I'd slowly back away towards the exit His lines are ridiculously cheesy and would only work on a girl who was either really desperate or really wasted. Maybe that's why their "field tests" are in dark bars?

I do like the guys this season, though. They're cuter this time around... still as awkward and helpless as ever, but some of them are cute! I don't have a favorite yet, they're all trying hard so I hope they all do well. Not that this is the type of advice they really need to be getting, but at least it's hysterical to watch!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;3220489;
    I read the book "The Game" about Mystery and his friends and was appalled - I couldn't believe how lame the lines were and that they actually worked. But seeing it on TV, I see the pluses of this whole scene when pulled off properly.

I'm a decent looking 30-year-old professional; I get hit on at bars sometimes, and one of my biggest pet peeves is when I'm in the middle of a conversation with my friends and a guy butts in (unless he's abnormally hot) and just starts hitting on one of us (even if it's me). Usually I'm thinking, how long will this guy be bothering us, and how can we politely get rid of him? I like that Mystery advises guys to say they have to get back to their friends. I also like that he emphasizes including everyone in the group.

These lines don't work when you have someone who's too high-energy, like the guy on last night's ep (10/19). Those are the guys that make me uncomfortable. You really have to have that aloof attitude.

What strikes me as the most irritating thing on this show is all the lingo and the pageantry. I feel like I'm watching a World of Warcraft meeting with all the medallions, the goth gear, and the abbreviations (I'm waiting for Mystery to say someone got PWNED).
    I haven't read the book, but I completely agree with everything you said.

I actually had a dude approach me at a club and ask me where his drink was (like I was supposed to buy it for him? get real.) I told him that the bartender hadn't poured it yet, and he might want to go speak with her about the issue.

The girls these lines work on must have low self-esteem or be wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by thetortfeasor;3224400;
    I haven't read the book, but I completely agree with everything you said.

I actually had a dude approach me at a club and ask me where his drink was (like I was supposed to buy it for him? get real.) I told him that the bartender hadn't poured it yet, and he might want to go speak with her about the issue.

The girls these lines work on must have low self-esteem or be wasted.
    I agree with you both. I find this show highly entertaining, but whenever Mystery and his buddy go make their rounds in the bar, I just laugh. Seriously, Matador is at least attractive, but Mystery would send me running with his crazy outfits and furry/goggle hats.

I knew Simeon would win lol, i really enjoyed this season

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess;3243585;
    I knew Simeon would win lol, i really enjoyed this season
    I really enjoyed it too.

I loved the finally and I think Tara was a nice addition. (sorry J-dog)

My favorite part is how excited Matador, Tara and Mystery get for the guys. And their reactions to the final challenge are priceless.
    Last edited by alizarules; 12-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3224450;
    I agree with you both. I find this show highly entertaining, but whenever Mystery and his buddy go make their rounds in the bar, I just laugh. Seriously, Matador is at least attractive, but Mystery would send me running with his crazy outfits and furry/goggle hats.
    Really? I think Matador is really gross! Mystery is at least good looking when he gets rid of the hats. And matador dresses just as weird but even if he didn't, he would still be gross to me. I don't really care for guys who are so muscled up that they can't even walk properly. That totally grosses me out! Now, Matt's friend I thought was adorable. I was rooting for him (even though I was technically rooting for Simeon) even though I don't like Matt AT ALL but he was obviously not into it.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

+ Reply to Thread