+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Parker

Welcome to the Parker

Bravo has yet another new reality series, Welcome to the Parker, about a "five star" hotel in Palm Springs (I think.) You begin to get to know the staff, whose every mistake is scrutinized by the management. And the episode follows the stories of two groups of guests. I have to give them credit for being brave enough to let the world see how their standards are falling short.

I'm just watching the first episode. The hotel experience is described as "pampered," but the management has an iffy attitude towards the guests. When the sales manager gal asked the ping pong tournament guys if they wouldn't mind cleaning up the suite they trashed to make less work for the maids, my jaw just dropped at the effrontery.

Sure, they trashed it, but they were paying $5000 a night for it! If I were paying that much, I would not expect to be asked to clean up my own mess. It's enough they are going to have to pay for the damages. The management should take some responsibility for deciding to book them into that suite.

Sure, the general manager stated that in the hotel business the customer is no longer always right, but jeez!

The other guest is an international food critic who orders everything on the menu. Of course it doesn't always live up to her standards, but then again she says she just came from a 15-course tasting menu at the French Laundry, so what would in comparison? I'm jealous; how did she get her job? Enough said.
    Last edited by Harvest; 07-27-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Re: Welcome to the Parker

I meant to watch this but forgot all about it. Did you like it? Will you watch it again? Just trying to see if I should add it to my rather extensive line up .... since some of the shows are winding down it could fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2492613;
    I meant to watch this but forgot all about it. Did you like it? Will you watch it again? Just trying to see if I should add it to my rather extensive line up .... since some of the shows are winding down it could fit in.
    Yes, I liked it! I love hotels, design, food, anything of that nature. And I'm a born critic with high standards (no wonder I like the OCD guy on their other new show!), so it is a chance to exercise my skills

I just came back on here to add something I forgot -- maybe this kind of detail is too picky for most people, but when you've got a "five-star" hotel, everything should be as close to perfect as possible -- so what did I see on the patio of the food critic but furniture covered in leaves, including this huge, cool-looking upholstered chair (the whole hotel is designed by Jonathan Adler, one of the judges from Top Design -- no wonder this show came into being). I cannot believe that woman, who spends $2500 for the weekend to critique the food and service, would not be critical about having to sit in a pile of leaves!!! I don't think she would have been so casual about it if the outdoor dining room had looked like that.

Even if the leaves just blew in, which seems unlikely, if I were that hotel manager I would have someone following the camera crew and "fluffing" the "set" before they shot, lol... especially when the room belonged to someone who was reviewing my hotel!

I caught this show and really enjoyed it as well. It seems, no matter how hard they try they keep falling short.

I really think part of the hotels problems are the staff. Michael Toewmy (sp?) the Head of Catering (I'm not positive that is his title) was part of the problem the ping pong people got out of control. I foresee his firing on the show, I can't imagine the Hotel Director would stand for his less then perfectionist attitude.

FORT Newbie

i enjoyed the show. one thing i noticed was that all staff have accents. so, most of the discussions are in captions.

I like this show as well! My favorite is Nathan. He is very, very funny.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I enjoy the show. I believe today is the finale and it looks like is may also be the finale for Michael. He totally dropped the ball on the cancer party. Overall I thought the show was enjoyable.
    Holla back!

I watched the ping pong episode. That's about all I could handle.

Quote Originally Posted by midniteblue;2551860;
    I enjoy the show. I believe today is the finale and it looks like is may also be the finale for Michael. He totally dropped the ball on the cancer party. Overall I thought the show was enjoyable.
    I know....he overslept??? That is just so bad. I did that on my first job, when I was a teen. And I certainly wasn't a manager.

And to do that to your co-workers, I mean, they did an excellent job of covering for him.
    - Virginia Woolf

I love Nathan...once again he cracks me up 'don't worry, people fire themselves around here'.

At least someone with some sense! I can't believe HR was taking that long and discussing it, or that Toumy was even shocked.

Also, love these crazy guests....it seems like I am the only one watching, but I do like this show. I hope there is more....
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast