+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 79 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Flipping Out (Bravo)

Re: Flipping Out (Bravo)

I've looked at both websites, Brown Design: Interior Design Los Angeles and Jeff Lewis | Official Site and if I may, I'd like to offer my comments.

There is some overlap in which the same projects are shown on both sites. These are Valley Oak and some flips we've seen on the show.

Jeff's site appears to be projects that were done as flips rather than designs for clients. I say that because some of them are recognizable from the show but more than that, there is obvious re-use of the same exact pieces - furniture, lighting, artwork, rugs, etc. - in many of the homes.

I don't know if Jeff or Ryan designed the interiors for the flips, but they are very spartan (which is fine as a design style but only when done well) to the point of looking incomplete - lack of window treatments, lack of floor treatments, too-small rugs, too-few or too-small accessories, etc. There is a lot of repetition in the furniture placement. There's just a real sense of something lacking overall.

Ryan's designs, on the other hand, are quite good. They are actually more developed and polished versions of the designs on Jeff's website with more details, flourishes and attention to proportion, making them far more successful as designs.

So I'm not sure if Jeff has a solid body of design work to show to prospective clients, or if his portfolio is actually inferior to Ryan's. It just seems that if they could work together again they'd have the best of both worlds - Jeff's real estate & organizational expertise with Ryan's design skills.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3739584;
    I believe the issue with Ryan & the web site is that Ryan created the jeff lewis website with a.tv ending rather than a .com. Apparently Google does not reconigize .tv endings. So yea I can understand how Jeff might be upset that if someone typed in jefflewis.com they were routed to ryan.
    Yes, Jeff was a little hard on Ryan for that. Not many people would know that .tv isn't a top level domain that google "reads," so it was unfair of Jeff to hold Ryan responsible for that. I don't know what the deal is with the sponsored listings, though, that Jeff accused Ryan of being deceptive.

I truthfully think J&R are carrying this wayyyy tooooo far. It is over. Move on. Ryan says he didn't do it and Jeff says he did. They will both have to agree to disagree. I mean the last THREE episodes referenced this issue.

JMHO!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3739600;
    ...So I'm not sure if Jeff has a solid body of design work to show to prospective clients, or if his portfolio is actually inferior to Ryan's. It just seems that if they could work together again they'd have the best of both worlds - Jeff's real estate & organizational expertise with Ryan's design skills.
    Yes! I hope some day they can resolve their issues, as their talents really do compliment each another. I'm afraid too much has happened, though. Too much loss of trust. I hope they prove me wrong on that, and can some day be friends again.

FORT Fogey

Rebotco -

I think that the difference may be that when you do flips, you aren't designing for one specific person, you're designing to then resell. So you actually can't put too much personality into it, because your buyers have to see the possibilities of it. Maybe a way to do that is to keep it pretty undone?

I think Ryan does more remodeling so he has someone to tell him "i like pillows, i hate red, i want lots of rugs/mirrors/lamps/elephants." So he just has to please them, not worry about anyone else seeing what they could then do to it.

Does any of that make sense?

I think the difference between the 2 is that Ryan's a designer and Jeff's a flipper.
    I think that with the economic downturn, Jeff felt it would be a lot easier to move from flipper to designer. And, it's not. That's why I think Jeffr made a big mistake in dismissing Ryan.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3740072;
    Rebotco -

I think that the difference may be that when you do flips, you aren't designing for one specific person, you're designing to then resell. So you actually can't put too much personality into it, because your buyers have to see the possibilities of it. Maybe a way to do that is to keep it pretty undone?

I think Ryan does more remodeling so he has someone to tell him "i like pillows, i hate red, i want lots of rugs/mirrors/lamps/elephants." So he just has to please them, not worry about anyone else seeing what they could then do to it.

Does any of that make sense?
    Tears,

Yes, part 2 of what you said makes perfect sense and it's exactly why I think Jeff & Ryan's skills are complementary. In fact, it's exactly what Jeff's frustration has been - having to answer to clients as a designer rather than working for himself as a developer.

As for designing for resale, I don't think personality is the issue, nor that "less is more" is necessarily the way to go. I think when the same furnishings and accessories are re-used in flip after flip the components won't fit or suit each space. Nearly all the projects shown on Jeff's website are those flip projects so I think the websites show a much stronger design portfolio for Ryan.

FORT Fogey

I like Jeff, but I think we are missing part of the story. I think the Jeff/Ryan split happened a long time ago. I sense that Jeff was probably very difficult and Ryan was in survival mode. I don't think he is inherently dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3739426;
    That is an interesting idea, meemee. I don't think I've looked at the loss of control issue and it's one I think has some merit.
    Thanks, mom2! It really bothered me why Jeff was so intent that Ryan was in the wrong...until I realized it was totally a control issue. It's too bad that Jeff is going to let his good friend go like that. Although I do suspect the same thing will happen with his relationships with Zoila and Jenny once they are ready to fly the coop.

FORT Newbie

Any news if there will be a 4th season?

+ Reply to Thread