+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 79 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Flipping Out (Bravo)

Re: Flipping Out (Bravo)

There was no doubt in my mind last night that Jeff was in the wrong.
    Ryan behaved like someone who has been maligned unnecessarily. Jeff behaved like the idiot and drama queen he is.
    Jeff has shown himself to be a person who must be in the driver's seat, no matter what. It's a shame it cost him a partnership.
    It was obvious to me that Jeff was upset because he can't make the money flipping houses like he used to. That is why he's so angry.
    He realizes that Ryan is and always will be the true design professional.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

First off I want to say that I don't think Ryan did anything intentionally. I honestly think that he started out with the agenda that Jeff gave to him...to weed out the jobs he thought Jeff wouldn't want. No problem if he decided to take them on himself as he screened, and Jeff wouldn't mind it.

The thing is, sometimes what starts out as noble intentions can become easily skewed. A person can start out doing someone a favor that benefits them also. Then they can enjoy the fruits of those circumstances and begin to convince themselves that a client would not suit Jeff. So now the clients that he may have passed on to Jeff and risked hearing a "why did you let this guy through" become "I'll take this guy off your hands, you wouldn't mesh".

Success is a powerful drug. Sometimes a person doesn't even realize they're hooked until it's too late. Ryan's business was blooming. Likely at least some of that was due to the Jeff connection. Probably not as much as Jeff would like to think, but likely more than Ryan would like to admit. Admitting so would not only mean he took business from Jeff but also that he's less in demand than he'd like to think. A double blow to the ego! When confronted it may have been the first time Ryan saw it for what it was, and that's a hard thing to apologize to someone like Jeff about. A passive agressive guy who "jokes" constantly about being wronged. They have reached a stalemate. Many friendships have been there. Some survive, but few are ever the same again. That's the sad part of this whole thing.

ETA: I do agree Jeff's reaction was a bit much. When a friendship means a lot to a person and has so much history you have to be willing to make your point and move on. If they truly are guilty a true friend will recognize that and not have it happen again. If they are innocent they will be hurt but hopefully time and cooler heads will pull you through in the end.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 10-28-2009 at 07:30 PM.

FORT Fogey

The problem wasn't Ryan taking the jobs, the problem was that when you Googled "Jeff Lewis" a site popped up as the "official site" and was linked to Brown Designs with no mention of Jeff anywhere on the page.

Thanks, everyone, for correcting me on that "foreclosure" joke that Jeff made.
    Jeff said it with a straight face, as he generally does when he jokes around, and I couldn't tell whether he was joking or not - since, as you said, joking about a forthcoming foreclosure is a bit odd.
    Yes, that's a good point - that Jeff likes to keep us guessing......and thinks that it's a motive for us "tuning in".
    Marti

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3738470;
    The problem wasn't Ryan taking the jobs, the problem was that when you Googled "Jeff Lewis" a site popped up as the "official site" and was linked to Brown Designs with no mention of Jeff anywhere on the page.
    I don't think an "official Jeff Lewis site" for an organic google search was linked to Brown Designs. I think it was a sponsored listing that when the key words "Jeff Lewis" were used, the google search returned results of sites that once clicked on would allegedly direct someone to Brown Designs. Although it is misleading, anyone can bid on any key word to be used for sponsored listings. I'm thinking Ryan may have innocently bid on the key words, "Jeff Lewis" to somehow direct business to Jeff, but things went horribly wrong somewhere along the way.

FORT Fogey

Jeff said that the first hit when you googled "Jeff Lewis Designs" claimed to be the official site but then rerouted the user to Brown Designs. Now, if you click on that same link it takes you to Jeff Lewis designs, but I know that that was a recent correction.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3738938;
    Jeff said that the first hit when you googled "Jeff Lewis Designs" claimed to be the official site but then rerouted the user to Brown Designs. Now, if you click on that same link it takes you to Jeff Lewis designs, but I know that that was a recent correction.
    I'm just saying it wasn't an organic google result, but a sponsored listing. Jeff specifically mentioned it was a sponsored listing. I don't remember him using the words "official site," but I could be wrong on that point.

It's obvious Jeff is invested in the story he has told himself that he is a victim of Ryan when it is simply not logical that Ryan would cheat Jeff or would even need to cheat Jeff. I think I've figured it out!

A. Jeff likes to surround himself with people who need him/whom he has control over.
    B. On the reunion Jeff said that it all started for him when he noticed Ryan started to pull away from him.
    C. Ryan's design business is booming without help from Jeff; therefore Ryan is not beholden to Jeff for jobs anymore.

= Jeff is not in control of Ryan/has nothing to hold over his head and can't stand it.

Instead of just admitting to himself that he doesn't like not having control over Ryan, he'd rather tell himself that Ryan is out to get him and evil. He's started doing that to Jenny - remember him telling her she wasn't committed to her work because she is looking for acting gigs - it's 'cause he sees himself losing control of her and therefore she must be evil. If she ever left him, I'm sure he'd accuse her of stealing pens or paper clips or something.

He should really see a therapist. I can only help him so much over the message boards. I'm only one person for crying out loud!

That is an interesting idea, meemee. I don't think I've looked at the loss of control issue and it's one I think has some merit.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by meemee2000;3739360;
    It's obvious Jeff is invested in the story he has told himself that he is a victim of Ryan when it is simply not logical that Ryan would cheat Jeff or would even need to cheat Jeff. I think I've figured it out!

A. Jeff likes to surround himself with people who need him/whom he has control over.
    B. On the reunion Jeff said that it all started for him when he noticed Ryan started to pull away from him.
    C. Ryan's design business is booming without help from Jeff; therefore Ryan is not beholden to Jeff for jobs anymore.

= Jeff is not in control of Ryan/has nothing to hold over his head and can't stand it.

Instead of just admitting to himself that he doesn't like not having control over Ryan, he'd rather tell himself that Ryan is out to get him and evil. He's started doing that to Jenny - remember him telling her she wasn't committed to her work because she is looking for acting gigs - it's 'cause he sees himself losing control of her and therefore she must be evil. If she ever left him, I'm sure he'd accuse her of stealing pens or paper clips or something.

He should really see a therapist. I can only help him so much over the message boards. I'm only one person for crying out loud!
    I think the thing that upsets him most about Jenni is that he needs her to be available more often. She has been working for him alot longer that Sarah has & she knows Jeff's quirks better & probably knows what needs doing before Jeff knows. It is just like when I am off work for a day or 2; it just throws the entire schedule off.

I believe the issue with Ryan & the web site is that Ryan created the jeff lewis website with a.tv ending rather than a .com. Apparently Google does not reconigize .tv endings. So yea I can understand how Jeff might be upset that if someone typed in jefflewis.com they were routed to ryan.

+ Reply to Thread