+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 79 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Flipping Out (Bravo)

Re: Flipping Out (Bravo)

exactomundo!

Quote Originally Posted by Socks77;3729258;
    Ronald Reagan closed the mental hospitals and these unfortunate people were just dumped on the streets. They have no insurance which mostly will just get you 20 days or so in treatment. So you can thank the republicans for attempting to save money on the backs of the mentally ill and society in general.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3736452;
    exactomundo!
    Don't forget when they were discharged they were basically given a month of medication and expected to just know how to find more medication, money for medication and expected to just know how to be compliant with medication and therapy. Yeah that was a real success now wasn't it.

I have a homeless man that I take food and clothes to once a month. He has been on the streets since he was 9 years old. He's a black man and no one would even try to do anything for him. He's mentally unstable and all of the shelters are afraid of him. He has never done anything to harm another person, he just tends to talk to himself depending on the time of day. He drinks to self medicate. It really kills my heart to see how many people need mental health care and there are no longer any places for them to go since they have no money or insurance.

I cannot wait to see Jeff and Ryan talking on the after show. I hope they don't just walk away from each other.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3736719;
    I have a homeless man that I take food and clothes to once a month. He has been on the streets since he was 9 years old. He's a black man and no one would even try to do anything for him. He's mentally unstable and all of the shelters are afraid of him. He has never done anything to harm another person, he just tends to talk to himself depending on the time of day. He drinks to self medicate. It really kills my heart to see how many people need mental health care and there are no longer any places for them to go since they have no money or insurance.

I cannot wait to see Jeff and Ryan talking on the after show. I hope they don't just walk away from each other.
    I had this essentially homeless client for a couple years when working at detox. He basically squatted in this house that met no codes, had no electricity, no running water. The mental health places didn't work with him really. He had schizophrenia and would walk 11 miles every single day one way to access some of the services he could get for free. One day he got hit by a semi by the highway above my house as he was walking to town. I had another client who got hit by a dump truck while he was sleeping in the alley. I had another client who was a woman and couch hopped and couldn't get services anywhere who came in so beat up by her boyfriend she couldn't open her eyes. The abused women's place wouldn't work with her because of her mental illness. What was she supposed to do?

I lived in cities with people begging on the street as I walked everywhere. I watched people sleeping on subway grates trying to keep warm in the winter. I worked with kids who prostituted themselves just so they could have a bed to sleep in at night so they didn't freeze to death in the elements.

Mental illness and homelessness are not problems that can just be erased by packing people up and storing them somewhere where no one has to actually look at them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3736735;
    ...Mental illness and homelessness are not problems that can just be erased by packing people up and storing them somewhere where no one has to actually look at them.
    Thank you for stating that.

I was not implying that they could be shoved away somewhere so we don't have to look at them. I was stating that without any help being given to them, it's a cycle that will constantly repeat itself.

On another note relating to the show, I really hope Jeff does not get a child by any means until he is in a stable relationship.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Really?? Interesting. I believe that a child is better off in a loving home no matter how many parents there are or of what gender they are.

Jeff is never home. He has a housekeeper who would most likely take over parental duties. He's always worried about his business and looking for another way to make money. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you want to have a child, you have to give up something in order to spend some time with them.

It has nothing to do with gender. I never stated that in any way.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

I agree, and I personally think Jeff knows that and would adjust his schedule accordingly. But there are lots of families who are very good parents whose kids have to stay with a caregiver during the day, because the parents work. I'm sure he would cut his hours to a reasonable amount, a more 9-5 type of arrangement, especially since he essentially makes his own hours.

Regardless, I was responding to your comment about him being in a stable relationship. He seems to be pretty stable-ly single right now.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3736872;
    I was not implying that they could be shoved away somewhere so we don't have to look at them. I was stating that without any help being given to them, it's a cycle that will constantly repeat itself.

On another note relating to the show, I really hope Jeff does not get a child by any means until he is in a stable relationship.
    buglover - I think the comment might have been a reference to a previous comment someone else had made, asking if homeless people could be "collected up, and taken to a home."

+ Reply to Thread