+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 75 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Star

Re: Design Star

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3139985;
    HGTV related but off topic: Have you seen the commercials during DesignStar for the "Summer Showdown"? I went to the website today and it looks to be a lot of fun. They are pairing up designers and carpenters to compete against each other in DesignStar type challenges. It is set to run on Sundays as a special for four weeks. The first will run immediately after the DesignStar finale. One of the lead designers is Vern Yip and another is Cynthia Rowley. Others include David Bromstad and Lisa Laporta. Oh, and CARTER Oosterhouse will also be on hand. The host is going to be George - the guy who does the wild and wacky shows like the Christmas overdecorations. One of the judges will be Sparkle Josh...I didn't recognize any of the other judges, but apparently they are tops in the field.

Take a look at the website.

I saw this as well, and I'm quite looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun, one of my faves besides David is Eric Stromer, he's a hoot.

Re Design Star, I'm rooting for Jenn. I think she has all around talent and a great personality.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3140933;
    ...Re Design Star, I'm rooting for Jenn. I think she has all around talent and a great personality.
    I'm rooting for Matt, but I like Jenn too. If Jenn wins, I'd like to see her do a show with her husband. Their design styles are so different I think it would be really interesting to see how they meld them (and the whole process in working it out).

FORT Regular

I think this week's challenge was particularly hard because client emotion is involved. Would you design a living room the same for your parents vs clients? No. Mom and dad for sure like traditional elements and that is super hard to play up on a reality show. It would take eccentric people to really showcase what Matt and Trish could have done. Jenn had it easier because she was working with her sister who I see was more receptive to anything goes. I think it was a BOLD move laying carpet without her permission. They talked about the wood floors but off camera she may have stated carpet was fine. And they can be pulled up later. But if I did that to my sister and she wasn't expecting it, America would have seen the reaction! Anyway, my point is that designing for family tends to be much more conservative to their real feelings where as a client is ready to pay money for a super huge look and a ton of bang for the buck!

Trish got the short end of this deal! I felt so bad for her that she got such an inexperienced carpenter, how was that fair? The guy could barely figure out how to put down a floor while the others had carpenters that could do it all themselves and mostly did. She was severely handicapped and its no wonder she got sent home. Matt? His parents made me uncomfortable, they came off as so phony in pretending that the fight was over. Could they have picked a worse room for him to remodel? Did they have such lack of trust in his ability that they gave him a room tucked away where almost nobody would ever see it? Wow. At least the others were so proud of their "designers" that they gave them rooms front and center that could be showed off.

I don't like Jennifers design style....I don't like the way she keeps painting these odd designs on her walls. Didn't like it in her theme room and didn't like in this last challenge. Step away from the free form stenciling....no really. Other than that? I think she comes off really fun on camera and might be interesting to watch....if she can stop with the painting designs on walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3141548;
    Trish got the short end of this deal! I felt so bad for her that she got such an inexperienced carpenter, how was that fair? The guy could barely figure out how to put down a floor while the others had carpenters that could do it all themselves and mostly did. She was severely handicapped and its no wonder she got sent home. Matt? His parents made me uncomfortable, they came off as so phony in pretending that the fight was over. Could they have picked a worse room for him to remodel? Did they have such lack of trust in his ability that they gave him a room tucked away where almost nobody would ever see it? Wow. At least the others were so proud of their "designers" that they gave them rooms front and center that could be showed off.

I don't like Jennifers design style....I don't like the way she keeps painting these odd designs on her walls. Didn't like it in her theme room and didn't like in this last challenge. Step away from the free form stenciling....no really. Other than that? I think she comes off really fun on camera and might be interesting to watch....if she can stop with the painting designs on walls.
    Remember it was her team that painted that fab tree trunk table and fireplace manel during the first challenge and during the one challenge that she went shopping with Mickey V she wanted to paint every all the furniture. She has a bit of a paint fetish.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I KNOW! She should have been booted off for committing that crime! Who paints something so beautiful and then giggles about it? Criminal. I hated her version of an Italian room, those walls were hideous and I couldn't understand how the judges could love them so much.

I thought it was the other partner in crime that Mickey V said "help me" and that she would paint him if he stopped moving...what was her name? Stephanie? The other one that help paint that table.

Painting that gorgeous table was a crime! I screamed at the TV when that happened. LOL

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Matt's design skills. I don't feel that I have a real handle on his point of view as yet. I'm pretty much keyed into Jenn's style, and like it, so for me it's more about how Matt does in his final challenge. I hope it'll be more clear to me by then who I should vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3140224;
    I heard some enchantingly naughty things about Mikey V, some leather and some happy snaps and freaky films, lol. Not that it would make any difference to me (or any of theo viewers) but I wonder if they found out about the happy snaps and that was one of the reasons why he was voted off the show.
    I think "happy snaps" and "freaky films" have almost become a requirement on many reality shows. And isn't it curious that they turn up just as we are getting to know each contestant. I mean, in the recent past, we've had "The Bar-dancing Boy" on American Idol, "James the pink haired boy" on Big Brother, "Ozzie the fish boy" (come on, now he did swim like one!) on Survivor, and Now "Mikey V" the cop with the huge gun......oh wait that's an electric screw driver. And just this a.m. Jessie the bodybuilder from the current BigBrother shows up all over the blogs wearing only his birthday suit. Depending upon your point of view, life is either going to Hell in a handbasket or makes reality shows all worth while, lol.
    Last edited by ChristoferHawke; 07-23-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: left out word

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3141950;
    Painting that gorgeous table was a crime! I screamed at the TV when that happened.
    That was criminally insane!!! They both deserved to go home for that alone.

The thought of getting that table so cheaply made me fantasize about moving to Nashville -- and designing a house around that natural wood table!

Kao

I just told myself "this isn't happening! This isn't happening!" while they were on their painting rampage, and I've almost convinced myself that they subbed in a similiar but cheaper and uglier table and painted that instead. Please do not spoil my delusion.

+ Reply to Thread