+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Star

LG.

Re: Design Star

the fire department gets called to help out with a lot less serious medical concerns - which isn't right because it wastes taxpayer resources, but I think they were a good call in this situation. Mikey V probably knew that and advised Trish to call them too, because as a cop, he's probably interacted plenty with his local fire department. The fire department helps people in many situations not involving fires, like extricating people from car crashes, responding to heart attacks, and here in Minnesota, diving into frozen lakes looking for snowmobilers who have gone through the ice. They've got the training and the tools for the job, and had just the right tool to cut off that ring.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

This really was a design on the fly production and the leader was not a design on the fly type person.

They had a lot of money to do a first class job, but, other than the Sears donated appliances, design was not a part of the picture. I think they all saw those dark wood panel walls and freaked. Their attention was on changing those out without thinking about the project as a whole.

Joan's Decorating Sense show comes to mind and how for $500 or less and one day for work, she and the designer along with a professional handyman could turn a drab kitchen into a showpiece. BUT - the designer for that show was ready to go with her plan, fabrics and color scheme before the "one" day started. Here, the contestants had a lot of money but only 24 hours from start to finish - including the design plan.

So, in the end, I guess...it all comes down to organization, leadership and time management...all not present.

I'm so looking forward to the next challenge - I love the travel section of the show.

P.S. My favorite challenge was season one's real room makeovers for the studio apartments in NYC. There you could see each designer's vision, color sense and management skills.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I wondered why Jennifer didn't step up and paint a fabulous design for the backsplash since they ran out of time to tile it.

I only watched part of last years show, and I don't remember any group projects. I seem to recall them all in a big warehouse type of place doing individual rooms with their own carpenters.
    Am I remembering correctly?

And Kym and the other guy went to some place tropical and did a hotel room for the finale.

^ Yeah and Kim pwned his butt in the final challenge.

I think Jennifer or Trish will win, and are the likely final 2. I think the judges have accpected that they are C designers at best, and are just basing this solely on hosting. Which leaves Matt with no chance whatsoever at winning.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;3131195;
    I know that on past kitchen makeover shows they've had to send the HGTV crews in to redo the shoddy work done by the design contestants. I remember one black tile counter with white grout (should have been grey) that was so poorly done that they had to rip out the whole counter and replace it. But then there was the dining room that Sparkle did that was an extension of the kitcher that was spectacular.
    I remember that tile...it was HORRIBLE, lol.

It makes me wonder what they spent the 10g on, especially since they painted the existing cabinets. Okay, the granite countertops were probably in the neighborhood of 2500 and the table set another 700-1000. Maybe 500 for the drywall. But all the rest of the crap Tracee brought (plates, aprons, reindeer ears, etc) probably was in the neighborhood of 500 bucks. Where did the rest of the money go?

I think Jennifer or Trish will win, and are the likely final 2. I think the judges have accpected that they are C designers at best, and are just basing this solely on hosting. Which leaves Matt with no chance whatsoever at winning.

Well, I hope you are wrong. Sorry, but I couldn't watch a show hosted by either. Matt's hosting skills may be a bit less sharp at this point, but he is the only one who engaged me, as a viewer, in describing what they had actually done with the cabinets, etc. He made me want to try it on my cabinets. It would be nice to have a host who can actually instruct us at this point. Matt could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3132142;
    I remember that tile...it was HORRIBLE, lol.

It makes me wonder what they spent the 10g on, especially since they painted the existing cabinets. Okay, the granite countertops were probably in the neighborhood of 2500 and the table set another 700-1000. Maybe 500 for the drywall. But all the rest of the crap Tracee brought (plates, aprons, reindeer ears, etc) probably was in the neighborhood of 500 bucks. Where did the rest of the money go?
    They didn't buy a whole new table set....just new chairs.
    And the flooring cost a few bucks.

My husband does kitchen remodels for a living. Never with 24 hour time limit, but we've had to rush a few jobs.
    We sat watching and scratching our heads about a few of their decisions (like drywalling over panelling??)

The countertop was most likely a post-form formica top. It had mitred corners and Matt had to crawl underneath to fasten it together. You don't do that with granite. Granite seams are apoxyied and sealed together. There is no way that Trish could have held a granite top over her head in the corner like that, either.
    With that said, a postform runs about $7-$10 a linear foot, and that top was probably about 25 feet overall, maybe more. so we're talking about $250-$300 for the top, add in a few bucks for a rush job.
    No way was it $2500.

If the website says it was granite, then I guess I'm wrong. But I wonder why they mitred the corners on granite.

The flooring was probably around $12 a square foot. The rooms were approximately 220-250 sq. ft. So the flooring was $2,500-$3,000 total.

Whoever has Trish's myspace, could you PM it to me? Thanks!

I've tuned in only occasionally, because I didn't find the contestants very interesting. I still don't.
    Susan

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by french dip;3132188;
    They didn't buy a whole new table set....just new chairs.
    And the flooring cost a few bucks.

My husband does kitchen remodels for a living. Never with 24 hour time limit, but we've had to rush a few jobs.
    We sat watching and scratching our heads about a few of their decisions (like drywalling over panelling??)

The countertop was most likely a post-form formica top. It had mitred corners and Matt had to crawl underneath to fasten it together. You don't do that with granite. Granite seams are apoxyied and sealed together. There is no way that Trish could have held a granite top over her head in the corner like that, either.
    With that said, a postform runs about $7-$10 a linear foot, and that top was probably about 25 feet overall, maybe more. so we're talking about $250-$300 for the top, add in a few bucks for a rush job.
    No way was it $2500.

If the website says it was granite, then I guess I'm wrong. But I wonder why they mitred the corners on granite.

The flooring was probably around $12 a square foot. The rooms were approximately 220-250 sq. ft. So the flooring was $2,500-$3,000 total.
    Thank you for the correction, I thought that the countertop was granite, and completely forgot about the floors. There's still a lot of money floating around unaccounted for!

And what was UP with the drywall over the paneling? Is that a common thing to do? I always thought that you would rip the paneling out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3132259;
    Thank you for the correction, I thought that the countertop was granite, and completely forgot about the floors. There's still a lot of money floating around unaccounted for!

And what was UP with the drywall over the paneling? Is that a common thing to do? I always thought that you would rip the paneling out first.

I was just trying to work it all out in my head, moneywise.
    You are right....lots of money unaccounted for, unless Tracee bought a coupla thousand dollars of knick-knacks.

I would have primed and painted the panelling. Ripping it out is asking for more work and more problems. Who knows what's behind there! LOL I think the family hated the darkness of it. Drywalling over anything is usually a mistake. Just adds to headaches in the future.

And I don't really buy into the "not having a design plan" thing.
    They are supposed to be designers.
    As one, you should have things planned out ahead, just in case.

I would have used my private time at the house or time before the show started to log plans in my head, for just an occassion such as this kitchen.

Ideas with approximate costs kept in a notebook.

How hard is that??

+ Reply to Thread