+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Design Star

Re: Design Star - Season 2

Oh my goodness.... I am really surprised by who they sent home tonight. I do not agree in the slightest.

Too shocked... will wait for others to weigh in before I go into detail.

FORT Regular

I don't know the names yet, for the most part, so bear with me, but here are my thoughts based on this first real episode.

Hmm, I thought _a_ right person went home. I would have been happy to see several of them go after this show. So far there is no one who really grabs me and makes me want to watch a show they would host. I liked several of the people last season better than I liked anyone tonight, but maybe someone will grow on me.

I like the idea of designing with environmentally friendly materials, but Eco Josh, or whatever it is they're calling him, didn't come off particularly well tonight.

Surfer/Skater Dude cracks me up. I wouldn't watch him regularly as a host; I'd have too much trouble taking him seriously, but he actually impressed me tonight. If I were picking teams for a challenge, I'd want him on my team.

The hair dresser has got to go. Seriously. So far I get the impression that this woman cannot teach me anything. I want to watch someone who has skills I respect and can learn from. I have no idea how she made the cut. She has a cute personality, I guess, or at least lots of enthusiasm, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think she belongs on this show.

I was really surprised, in a good way, by the two guys who did the larger bedroom. They worked well together and the room came out looking pretty good. I wasn't expecting much talent from either of them, based on the audition episode, but I guess I'll watching them more carefully in the future.

Well I'm an episode behind you guys, will watch tonights sometime tomorrow. I just finished watching the selection one and I liked Adriana Nussbaumer and Christina Ray. Could not stand Scott Corridan and Neeraja Lockart. The rest are still rather meh to me and hopefully after I watch tonight's epi I will have a better feel for them.

Now since I have a horrible track record when it comes to picking reality winners, I'm sure one of my early favorites has gone home.

Really liked the big bedroom, issues with the ladies in the small bedroom but didn't think either would go home. Dining pit team and skater dude looked safe. Definitely thought Bar lady and crapy lounge with too many sequined pillows should be in the bottom three. Robb had so much face time I thought he would be going. Truth to tell I thought Bar lady would go cause all she did was paint/decorate and no bar stools. I would have liked to see artist/Lisa stay at least one more round. Still at this point in the game it is too soon to have favorites, but Ebony and Ivory/Sparkles are looking good right now.

Overall enjoyed the show much more at this point then I did last yrs. The personalities seem much stronger this season than last.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I loved Will and Josh Sparkles' bedroom. Simply beautiful! I have my living room in a brown leaf motif, too... and I might have to grab some ideas from this room... loved it!

I thought Robb should have EASILY left this week. He showed absolutely zero ability to actually design and really did not carry any plan through to fruition.

The girl that got booted, however, had a cohesive theme and fabulous execution of an idea, even if that idea didn't contemplate actual function. That alone should have saved her over Robb. It was a thoroughly disgusting first boot.

Robb should have been sent home. What did he do? He bought a car door and hung it on a wall. Big whoop. Lisa was robbed - no pun intended.

That southern belle is driving me nuts already.

It's funny that Sparkle Josh and that other guy got along so well. They're polar opposites. I hope they get to work together again.

Next week's previews look interesting.

See ya then!
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2494755;
    Oh my goodness.... I am really surprised by who they sent home tonight. I do not agree in the slightest.

Yay, Broadway and I watching the same show

I'm watching now, as we speak. It came on 20 minutes ago, so am at the point where they've teamed up and started to explain their concept. (telephone book sculptures? )

Interesting so far. Am liking how Josh and Will are working together well, so far. Surfer dude is hard to take seriously, lol. Neeraja is not someone I'd want to spend any time with, but gonna give her a chance to show me what she can do. The one that almost made my heart stop during the auditions was Robb Mariani, and solely for the reason of his name which is wayyyyy too close to reminding me of a couple of reality show pond scum I never want to hear about ever again.

So this show airs at 11pm Sunday nights, my time. Oh well, at least I'm up then, lol.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRose;2494819;
    I like the idea of designing with environmentally friendly materials, but Eco Josh, or whatever it is they're calling him, didn't come off particularly well tonight.
    Surfer/Skater Dude cracks me up. I wouldn't watch him regularly as a host; I'd have too much trouble taking him seriously, but he actually impressed me tonight. If I were picking teams for a challenge, I'd want him on my team.
    I was really surprised, in a good way, by the two guys who did the larger bedroom. They worked well together and the room came out looking pretty good. I wasn't expecting much talent from either of them, based on the audition episode, but I guess I'll watching them more carefully in the future.
    I think your name of Eco Josh sounds better than their version, "Organic Josh." And then he and Robb made a much sparklier space than "Sparkle Josh" did -- and not in a good way! Before this episode, Eco Josh was one of my top picks to win, along with Skateboard Dude, but EJ disappointed me in this episode.

As for the "ebony and ivory" team, they did do a better job than half the house, but neither was a real contender imo, and so I was surprised. I still do not like the guy from Charlotte on principle for saying his apartment was a "pimp palace" in the preview episode, plus I do not like their color scheme, especially with "metallics." Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2494755;
    So far only one FORTer has joined my fantasy league (there is a free game going on at the official website, and you are all invited to join! The league number is 74 and the pw is forters), and I have to say I did not start off very well with my picks. My eye kept being drawn to punk girl's photo, but I stubbornly did not pick her as the first to be eliminated, just because I did not want her to be -- not good strategy to let my emotions get in the way of my picks (as you might guess, I had picked Charlotte pimp guy. Now that I've seen them in action, there are a few more on my list of who I think will be eliminated. Whether I pick them on the right week remains to be seen.)

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2494900;
    That southern belle is driving me nuts already.
    It's funny that Sparkle Josh and that other guy got along so well. They're polar opposites. I hope they get to work together again.
    I like it when the teams get along. The overbearing latina and the annoying southern belle were getting on my last nerve. It was so funny what Vern said about their accessories!
    Last edited by Harvest; 07-30-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Well, an interesting first look at the designer's putting their talents to work.

I liked both bedrooms, especially the color scheme in Josh/Will's. The earth tones worked very well together, and I liked the leaf motif for the most part. The wall art was nice, though I didn't care as much for the hanging globe lights, but still could see how they worked well in the theme. I could relax in that bedroom very nicely. My only real complaint on their room was the bank of three beds where the middle one could only be got at from the foot of the bed. I don't like that, I feel there should be space to get into/out of it from at least one side. That just isn't practical to have only foot-of-the-bed access. But otherwise...

The other bedroom by the girls was likeable enough for the most part, though it looked much less professionally done than Josh/Will's bedroom. I agree with Vern's assessment -- the accessories and wall hangings were not good, but the fabric hangings to give a sense of personal space for each bed was a nice touch.

The bar/staircase area. Mixed feelings about that one. I agree with Clive, she decorated, not designed. I like the decoration of the bar for the most part, though not having ANY bar stools was stupid, stupid, stupid, and no excuse for it at all. Her excuse was ridiculous and well.. stupid. I also agree again with Vern that changing the color of the chandelier pink instead of white only served to make an ugly chandelier even uglier. She calls it coral, I call it pink, but either way, it didn't fit into the rest of the area and looked like a garage sale tossaway.

About the sunken dining area, I hate to say this, because I liked the two who worked on it (can't remember their names atm.. Scott? and whatshername), but that, to me, was the worst element of the competition tonight. I think everyone else loves it, but to me, having to step down a narrow space to a table is an awful idea for an everyday dining area. And dear lord if you have some wine or drinks with dinner, getting up out of the same area will be a hazard. I appreciate the concept, but I just don't think that was a large enough area to accomplish it in a practical way -- or else the table was twice the size it should be. But for an everyday dining area, a person shouldn't have to step down and up and navigate a narrow standing/moving space at the bottom of the pit. I can just see some female wearing heels having to step up and down that area. I also don't like dining seating to be backless, I like to be able to feel the back of a dining chair against my back when dining, and I sure don't want the back of my seat to be one of the steps down.

Eco-Josh (I like that better, too) and Robb were both weak, and I didn't see anything I liked in either them or their designs. Sorry, can't even think of one redeeming thing to say about either of them.

Don't hate me, Broadway, but I have to say I agree with the elimination tonight. I have to agree with what Vern said about it. And it wasn't her phone book sculpture that I even noticed, what I noticed was how her space was awkward and had a cluttered look to it... nothing relaxing about the area at all. It also looked sloppily done to me, especially the area to the right of the garage doors where she painstakingly laid green stones with whatever else that mess was. It looked very amateurish and unnatural, to me. And that sitting bench was just awkward and too big, it extended into the painted 'pathway' in a way that made it look like a road hazard. And I didn't think she had a cohesive color scheme at all. All in all, the space seemed very amateurish, cluttered, and functionless. I have to agree with the elimination.

But please let me live to see another episode, Broadway?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie

Has anyone noticed that in the season preview they had a very clear shot (clear enough that I saw who was on it without pausing my Tivo) of the last two back to the camera ? I won't name anyone obviously because I don't want to spoil it to anyone else - I am pissed enough as it is that they spoiled it for me. I just don't understand why they had to add that shot and therefore spoiling it for some. What did it bring to the table ? Urgh.

I kinda liked who they sent home tonight but I am not devastated.

+ Reply to Thread