+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singing Bee (NBC)

Re: Singing Bee (NBC)

I watched it, but I don't think I'll search it out. It's not bad, even if I'm not a big Joey Fatone fan.

I'm watching it for the first time tonight. It's actually NOT bad at all.

Firstly, Yoey actually does a good job.

Second, the rules actually make sense.

Third, as John says, they play this for comedy, and do a good job of it. People ham it up. Yoey plays it fun. The onscreen graphics emphasize things colorfully. It all works.

Fourth... in a HUGE contrast to Yoey's LAST reality show, Dancing With The Stars, the singers/band are actually pretty damn good. The contestants of course can't sing for the most part (although that's not the point of the show) but the professional singers seem to me to be VASTLY better than the crappy pain-causing warbling from the DWTS singers.

I'm impressed that NBC actually had the foresight to actually pay for singers worth having, as opposed to the bargain basement talent employed by the Alphabet Network.

Fifth, I don't know which songs the show HASN'T cleared, but the selection of cleared songs they CAN use is pretty good. They seem to all be older songs, but they are good, classic ones, not cheap easy to clear crap.

I understand the Wayne Brady version of this show on FOX isn't nearly as good. Has anyone here seen both? I have such an aversion to Wayne Brady I'm not sure I even want to risk it.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I've seen both, and still like this one a lot better.

Agreed with John, of the two singing shows this is my choice. The pace on Lyrics just doesn't work for me.

I finally watched this show tonight and I have to admit that it wasn't half bad. I enjoyed it even if I found myself missing some of the lyrics i thought I knew!

I love the Singing Bee. I tried watching the Fox one with Wayne Brady and I just can't do that show at all. I loved 80's night last week. This is a very entertaining show.

I was slightly disappointed that for Girl Power night they didn't have any Spicegirls songs

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2511649;
    I was slightly disappointed that for Girl Power night they didn't have any Spicegirls songs
    I thought the exact same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2508454;
    ... in a HUGE contrast to Yoey's LAST reality show, Dancing With The Stars, the singers/band are actually pretty damn good. The contestants of course can't sing for the most part (although that's not the point of the show) but the professional singers seem to me to be VASTLY better than the crappy pain-causing warbling from the DWTS singers.
    I am SO with you on this. I spent a lot of DWTS on mute so the bad music wouldn't distract from the dancing. The singers on this show are pleasantly easy to listen to. I like that they have different singers for different styles of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2508454;
    I understand the Wayne Brady version of this show on FOX isn't nearly as good. Has anyone here seen both? I have such an aversion to Wayne Brady I'm not sure I even want to risk it.
    I have watched a couple of epis of the Wayne Brady version and didn't really care for it. I like Singing Bee better because it has a quick pace and a generous amount of humor. They can fit it into a 30-min show so it's easy "filler" between other shows. The Wayne Brady version has a slower pace and I don't find it very funny. It is a full hour and they do waaaay too much "suspense" stuff like revealing if they were right one lyric at a time, going to commercial before they find out if they were right, etc. I think they may have been trying to apply the "who wants to be a millionaire" format to that show.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2513432;
    I have watched a couple of epis of the Wayne Brady version and didn't really care for it. I like Singing Bee better because it has a quick pace and a generous amount of humor. They can fit it into a 30-min show so it's easy "filler" between other shows. The Wayne Brady version has a slower pace and I don't find it very funny. It is a full hour and they do waaaay too much "suspense" stuff like revealing if they were right one lyric at a time, going to commercial before they find out if they were right, etc. I think they may have been trying to apply the "who wants to be a millionaire" format to that show.
    I was contemplating watching it, but after reading this I'm glad I haven't. It sounds like something that I don't care to see at all. I hate filler "suspense".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast