+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaq's greatest challenge

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Shaq's greatest challenge

I'm surprised not to see a thread for this...it's a weight loss program for children, with Shaq trying to get them to eat right and exercise, and to get the schools to serve better food and have PE. So far as I know, no prizes other than getting thin and healthy, which hopefully would deter the "gaming" with water weight that we hear about on The Biggest Loser.
    So far the principals have said PE is too expensive (teachers would have to stay later or they'd have to give up something else), and the kids have been goofing off when no adults are around (big surprise). One girl seemed to have a panic attack during a toughened up exercise program with a trainer and got hauled off in an ambulance, and now apparently her dad doesn't want her to come back.
    A half dozen children, all clearly needing to learn some new habits before it's too late. It's on Tuesday nights. The editing is a bit disorganized, but Shaq certainly comes across as a nice guy.

FORT Fogey

Re: Shaq's greatest challenge

I haven't watched every episode of this show, nor added it to my DVR. But when I have watched it, I've loved it. Shaq either is perfect, or he's getting a great edit, because I LOVE him. I really like the way that he is tough and honest with the kids, and holds them accountable, but his primary focus is encouraging them and lifting them up.

I love the kids and shaq. I wasn't aware kids didn't have mandatory p.e any longer.

I haven't seen this show at all. But I did watch ESPN's Shaq show a couple of years back. I've come to believe he honestly is a really good guy, and that it's not all the edit.

To be honest, I've never heard or read anything anywhere to indicate otherwise, either.

And, I'm all for this idea .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I love this show! I was surprised it wasn't a thread sooner as well. I think they are already half way done with the program & each kid has only lost 11 pounds at the most! Some of them need to lose like 100. I don't know what's going to happen.

FORT Fogey

Has the expectation been that they'd lose the weight before the show ends? I was of the impression that the intent was to teach them healthier ways and get the on the right track so that in time, they'd lose the weight they need to lose.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Just watched the show for the first time last week. Shaq really seems like he cares about these kids. When they fail, he feels like he failed too. It's refreshing to see a celebrity care so much about children.
    Wake up and be awesome

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow, if the school district was worried about looking bad they really blew it by putting the exercise routine on hold and then not returning Shaq et al.'s calls for two weeks (assuming that's a truthful edit).
    At the end when they were doing the President's physical fitness test again I could have used a reminder of what the goal is...especially for the running part where the kids have actually made progress. I'm surprised none of the kids can do one push up yet. Haven't they worked on upper body strength at all? And where was Kit? They mentioned "Chris" was on a cruise, but there were only 4 kids there, not 5. Great that the 4 all improved their running though. And nice that next week Kit and the white kid who passed up Hallowe'en are hitting it off...too bad it looks like he can't dance..
    Felt sorry for the doc that none of the teachers responded to him...not sure what the motivational speaker guy did so differently.

My boys and I love this show and as it is dealing with young teens has more of a meaning to them. I am amazed at how Shaq handles the kids and believe he will succeed with this group even though he has met many obstacles.

I thoroughly enjoy this show. Hopefully it can have an impact on some child's life watching.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast