+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaq's greatest challenge

FORT Regular

Re: Shaq's greatest challenge

I've been watching it too, and really like it. That Mister T is tough, but he really cares about the kids too. I'm glad James finally lost his first 20 lbs. He wasn't even as heavy as some of the others, yet seemed to drag his feet every step of the way.

I like how the kids are helping and encouraging each other too. I'm trying to lose weight myself now, so it's really interesting to me. God bless Shaq and all those trying to help and change the schools. Our school district has PE though, I didn't think whether it's mandatory or not. Elementary kids learn & play playground games (and then of course there's recess where they can play or do what they want), middle school does exercises at the beginning of class, then they learn and play team sports most of the rest of the class, and high school I think has their choice of swimming weight lifting, intramural team sports, etc. It didn't occur to me that
    some districts or states don't offer a PE class.

Where is this taking place anyway? Which city or which state? I see where Tyler Florence was trying to make healthier food tonight, but it wasn't going off very well.

They are in Miami I believe.

I loved lastnight's show. I am glad all the kids made it to the game. I am also glad that Shaq let Mr. Tyler know the Drill instructor thing doesn't work on everyone. The kids need to have a little fun mixed in as well. Loved the chicken chase,lol.

FORT Fogey

I only watched bits and pieces last night, between Big Brother. I loved the end where all the kids were naming their favorite part of going to the Heat game, and the one boy said it was screaming so much it hurt is throat. Then all the other boys said their favorite was meeting the cheerleaders, and the first boy said "Oh yeah, I think I want to change my answer to that".

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Glad James made it to the game. Is he one of the kids with no dad around? He seems to respond a lot more positively to physical contact even disguised as wrestling....think maybe he just really misses dad type hugs.
    I noticed that the biggest boy (Walter?)'s face has really cleared up since he began to eat more healthily.
    I thought we were going to see Kit and Walter at some kind of dance this week, judging by last week's previews. Is that still in the future?
    It's hard to believe none of the kids can do a push up yet. Aren't they working on upper body stuff? I know they may not want to do weight lifting with still growing kids (damages the bone endplates or something), but they could do push ups with knees on the ground and then build up to real ones as they lose weight/get stronger.
    Mr.T. should try some dance aerobics, maybe with steps... be more fun than just walking and the kids could learn some dance moves... also a social skill.
    What's really nice is how they are becoming friends. You get the feeling that several of them didn't have friends before, or not many.
    Shaq is still adorable with them.
    The poor chef...looked like a lot of those turkey sushi things went in the gabage. Maybe he should try a somewhat less disliked veggie than broccoli and work up.

FORT Regular

I think Tyler's biggest mistake is CALLING it Sushi. The whole picture of raw fish is really disgusting to me. I KNOW it wasn't raw turkey, but still.

Couldn't they start by just making kids' favorite foods more healthy but still looks and tastes like the foods they love? There's a lot you can do with pizza and still make it look & taste good.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ledhead;2481542;
    I think Tyler's biggest mistake is CALLING it Sushi. The whole picture of raw fish is really disgusting to me. I KNOW it wasn't raw turkey, but still.

Couldn't they start by just making kids' favorite foods more healthy but still looks and tastes like the foods they love? There's a lot you can do with pizza and still make it look & taste good.
    I agree 100% with both those comments (well, except that I love sushi--but I wouldn't love raw turkey!). I think he just meant it got sliced like a California roll does to make individual bites, but definitely not a good name. I know a lot COLLEGE aged kids who won't try sushi. If he called it a turkey roll or something it might have done better.
    And yes, a LOT can be done with pizza. Make it a whole wheat crust and you can put anything on it....use turkey sausage instead of pork for example....

FORT Regular

Our son was stationed in Japan for two years, and he tried everything that was available over there. He likes a lot of it and still goes to Japanese restaurants. He said he ate sushi and it was OK. He enjoyed the culture and the people and traveled as much as he could. They were at a base that's right outside of a local town, not where the whole area is a military base, like in Okinawa. They were up north where there's skiing.

I love how all those children showed up to excercise. The lunchroom people and the school need to really give the food choices a try. I see them right off the bat refusing to give it a chance. I understand they have a budget but their food choices are killing their kids.

I think this is a great show and I watch it faithfully each week. I really enjoy the moments with Walter - he's such a sweet kid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast