With the relentless publicity CBS has started about this show I was quite surprised to not find a topic here.

Basically, its Lord of the Flies, but assuming a positive result instead of a negative one. That's right... they proclaim "no adults" but there's enough of a structure that nobody is murdered. Probably nobody starves either.

40 kids, between ages 8 and 15, are hauled to an old West ghost town. Some rules DO seem to be imposed on them from the start--they can't just have "no government" but seem to be split into four divisions (red, blue, green, yellow), each with a leader (how that leader is picked is not clear from the previews), who together form a "town council". The four divisions also seem to compete to define their roles for that "week" (I put that in quotes because it seems like its actually less than a week, but we all know it will correspond to a single episode, which equals a week of "real viewing time"). There are common laborers, cooks, merchants and "upper class" positions which they compete for each time and seem to fill as an entire team.

No voting people off. The kids can opt to leave voluntarily and that's the only way out. They use a carrot instead of a stick. Each week the town council (who must obviously be exempt from this reward) votes on a single kid to get a "Gold Star", which they claim is actually made of Gold and worth $20,000 (I'm betting its ACTUALLY a replica they can trade in for a check--out of which the IRS will take half anyway).

From the previews it seems a bit precocious, but then again if the alternative is ACTUAL Lord of the Flies type behavior they'd have never sold the series, right?

They say "Wednesdays at 8PM" (which is the former time slot of the canceled and then uncanceled "Jericho") as the time on the CBS site, but I actually think this is a Fall show being advertised mega-early.

Wikipedia confirms its a Fall show. Apparently it probably WOULD have been a summer show if they hadn't canned Jericho in the first place.

Kid Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia