+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Farmer Wants a Wife

Re: Farmer Wants a Wife

[QUOTE=Arielflies;2986411;I just figured out that they are using the word "fair" to disguise the fact that the chickens boxed up, the hogs hosed down and the cattle tagged were all on their way to market. *sigh* Gotta pretty it up, dont'cha know. Now, since this was filmed in July there could very well have been a County Fair in progress during the shoot, but the end result for the animals would be the same.

If there is a County Fair, will they use that as an activity for the girls? Rural county fairs can be dusty, boring and have car wrecks slamming into eachother for the night time entertainment. But, there are the show-off tents with the feminine arts such as jams and flowers on dispay. I always liked those. I wonder if they'll have a working rodeo at one of the larger dairy farms or ranches? I went to one when I was a child in Oregon and it had clowns and branding and a boy cracking a hard boiled egg on my head. Now, that was fun.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the rural county fairs to the more citified ones where most of it is the carnival and rides. And I think all fairs have the crashing cars part.

I've never heard of a rodeo that had branding as part of it, but maybe you aren't talking about a PRCA sanctioned event?

[QUOTE=Arielflies;2986411;]
    I just figured out that they are using the word "fair" to disguise the fact that the chickens boxed up, the hogs hosed down and the cattle tagged were all on their way to market. *sigh* Gotta pretty it up, dont'cha know. Now, since this was filmed in July there could very well have been a County Fair in progress during the shoot, but the end result for the animals would be the same.QUOTE]

The optimist and animal lover that I am hopes they are just being readied to "show" at the fair! ; ) - Actually we do have friends here who do this at the local grange fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;2987307;
    I prefer the rural county fairs to the more citified ones where most of it is the carnival and rides. And I think all fairs have the crashing cars part.

Ours doesn't have crashing cars, but we do have a tractor parade! ; )

The thing that bugs me about this show is that they portray Portage des Sioux to be like this teeny tiny rural town in the middle of nowhere, when in fact it is in the greater St. Louis area. Like, Portage des Sioux is about 2 miles from the edge of St. Louis county, and it's about a 30 minute drive from Portage des Sioux to downtown St. Louis. So, while Portage des Sioux does only have like 350 people, it's not like it's an isolated small town, it's a small town that's really close to a lot of other more concentrated areas.
    "Giselle annoys me the most out of everyone in the house, but I'm not willing to alienate her because she's the only one in Tokyo with a straightening iron." -Elyse (ANTM C1)

Support the National Eating Disorders Association http://nationaleatingdisorders.org

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy4588;2993605;
    The thing that bugs me about this show is that they portray Portage des Sioux to be like this teeny tiny rural town in the middle of nowhere, when in fact it is in the greater St. Louis area. Like, Portage des Sioux is about 2 miles from the edge of St. Louis county, and it's about a 30 minute drive from Portage des Sioux to downtown St. Louis. So, while Portage des Sioux does only have like 350 people, it's not like it's an isolated small town, it's a small town that's really close to a lot of other more concentrated areas.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have the small town feel. I'd imagine that with all the work on a farm, a lot of the residents don't get to St. Louis much. I grew up in Atlanta and used to ride about thirty minutes outside of the city-where I rode, many people only went into the 'big city' maybe once or twice a year. Gas stations closed at dark, all the kids were in 4-H. Even where I live now, you get half an hour (or less) outside of the city, and even some of the bars don't stay open much past midnight. So it really doesn't bother me that the town is that close to St. Louis because in other respects, it is a small town.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by theboies;2986491;
    I think this show is a hoot. I grew up on a farm and absolutely love watching what these girls are being put through. I taped the first two shows and gave it to my parents to watch a couple of days ago. They loved it. They were going to rewatch it today after they left my house for Mothers day. I remember my sisters and I having to get chicken eggs and I was scared of them and hated doing it. So I know exactly how some of those girls feel for the first time of picking one up. I think this is a great fun show to watch, it doesn't degrade the girls like TB and that is a big relief in itself. I agree with one of the other posters that this isn't the type of show that merits sleuthing. I watched the video of the show before it aired. I did notice that when Matt took the girls down Hollywood on the trailer, they "were not" the girls in the show. They were fill ins. I didn't get the impression that the people at the bingo game didn't know Matt. He said from the beginning that the towns people were excited about him bringing 10 girls to town. I loved Josie just for the laughs but she most definately did not fit it. And he was right to let her go. I think some of the upcoming previews will show different sides of some of these girls that I think stand out now. My favorite and the one I think would fit in with Matt is Brooke. You will notice that when he brought each girl up to speak to the town people at the Bingo game, that when he brought Brooke up he kept smiling. Even after he looked towards the crowd. It is funny how after sleuthing the Bachelor for so long, how we pick up on things right away. I thought all the girls saying how they could live in that house. But that house is Matt's friends house and not his. They were seeing the bigger picture and not thinking of the fact that it wasn't Matts house. I loved the sign above their room, sit, talk, and gossip. I couldn't believe when he told Stacy he had heard enough. At least he is open and up front. My two least favorite is KJ and Christa with "CH". And I didn't see where the girls tp ing the truck ruined Christa's date. They had no idea when they would be back. I think Ch is out for vengence and it will be on Brooke. I wouldn't be surprised if the ending two girls ended up being Christa and Brooke because of their clashes. I do have to say in defense of Brooke and Lisa I did not see anything wrong with them talking to the other people in the bar from the town. If those girls don't drink maybe they were just uncomfortable to be with the other girls. Remember that Matt wants a wife that will fit in with the town. No better way than to talk to the towns people and have a fun and a great conversation as well. I think it had nothing to do with them being there for Matt. Enjoy Wednesday night, at least we will be over with TB. Happy Mothers Day all.
    I agree that it was fine for the Brooke and Lisa to talk with the locals. I didn't think they were hitting on the locals. The other girls were drinking and Brooke and Lisa might have felt uncomfortable or needed a change of company. Since this was filmed almost a year ago, I wonder if the one he chooses is still with him. Any ideas out there?

So I finally managed to find time to watch this show and I loved it! Not sure I like the way they are portraying the locals, especially the women. But I just adore Matt and there are few girls that I actually like. I don't care for Brooke or Lisa so I'm rather glad about the bad edits they are getting. I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. I don't think it was fine for them to be hitting on the locals because that's what it looked like....hitting on them. Then again, how many people on these dating shows are actually there to fall in love? Exactly.

It's a cute show and after the mess The Bachelor has become, this show is very refreshing and I'm enjoying it. The challenges....while rather far fetched...are interesting and make me laugh. Can't wait to watch more. Haven't been able to locate the first episode yet and could only catch the second.

And tonight we leave DB Matt behind and focus on our cute Matt!

Now that I'm more awake, lol, I can comment on more things from the show. I had to laugh....loudly....at Matt's reaction to Josie questioning him about premarital sex and then had to laugh again when she wondered what to wear under the coveralls and he said (I can't remember exactly) but basically NO. And then my final laugh loudly moment came when she refused to leave and kept demanding her parting gift. She was so over the top that she made for great TV and I'm afraid the show might get a tad bit boring without her.

I don't have a personal favorite yet because right now they are all sort of a blur in my mind, too many left for me to remember their names. I sort of liked the girl who banged her head and got the single date....till she wouldn't shut up! I think I might like the one who got the first alone date. Sort of like the dark haired girl too but that's simply because she's pretty lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2994587;
    So I finally managed to find time to watch this show and I loved it! Not sure I like the way they are portraying the locals, especially the women. But I just adore Matt and there are few girls that I actually like. I don't care for Brooke or Lisa so I'm rather glad about the bad edits they are getting. I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. I don't think it was fine for them to be hitting on the locals because that's what it looked like....hitting on them. Then again, how many people on these dating shows are actually there to fall in love? Exactly.

It's a cute show and after the mess The Bachelor has become, this show is very refreshing and I'm enjoying it. The challenges....while rather far fetched...are interesting and make me laugh. Can't wait to watch more. Haven't been able to locate the first episode yet and could only catch the second.
    I missed the first episode on TV also, but finally caught it at CW .com in the video tab for full episodes.

I don't know if they have them anymore, but the branding rodeos were fairly local, not professional...of course this was waaayyy back in the early 1950's and maybe that whole thing of neighbors gathering for branding has gone by the wayside.

I also thought the "hitting on the men in the bar" was a prolonged edit that will be played forward tonight at the swimming hole.

Matt seems to be a pretty straight-forward kind of guy...but we know women have wiles and he may be bamdoozled before this whole thing is over.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread