+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 101 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

HGTV Shows

Didn't find a thread elsewhere, it could be buried too deeply, so I started a new one

This post is specifically about the HGTV show Designer's Challenge, but I'll put it under a broad HGTV thread for other shows they have if anyone wants to talk about them.

Did anyone else catch the episode where they remodeled an Albuquerque kitchen? This is the episode that included creating a copper-lined ceiling riser, and where most of the kitchen remodel was assembled away from the home at a local contractor's, then disassembled and reassembled in the home when finished. The finished kitchen was really an amazing remodel, imho.. one of the best kitchens they've done. This was a local shoot here, with a local designer and contractors. The homeowner's budget for the remodel was $60,000 max.

If anyone saw that episode, the designer here in Albuquerque has been running local spots during the Designer's Challenge time slot pointing to their website where they have a small 'Behind The Scenes' video they shot during their episode. It's an interesting little thing, with some minor but interesting information about what goes on behind the scenes of the show, and how much it really costs, as opposed to what was budgeted. I was surprised to hear the actual cost of that remodel. They had over $100,000 worth of additional materials and construction-related items donated by local merchants who recognized the value of having their business name credited on the show. This was in addition to the $60,000 they did actually spend of the homeowner's money. No wonder the kitchen looked so great and had such nifty gadgets!

Anyway, if anyone is interested in watching their little behind-the-scenes video, it's at their website.
    Allie likes this.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Re: HGTV Shows

No, I did not catch that. I mainly watch House Hunters and the landscape shows....

Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz;2457243;
    No, I did not catch that. I mainly watch House Hunters and the landscape shows....
    I like the House Hunters series, too. I usually don't get to catch many of the landscaping shows, they tend to air during my sleep times, but sometimes I'll see them, and most are pretty interesting.
    BTW likes this.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Was it the DC that had the twins, and the mom was short and in the demo kitchen could not reach the controls to the overhead hood?
    If that was the kitchen it was amazing. I did not see the beginning, tuned in halfway through it. That is very interesting to hear about the behind the scenes comments.

I have heard that on House Hunters they usually already HAVE their house and then go find simular houses to compare it to for the filming. If you notice, they tend to pick the "empty" house!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2459018;
    Was it the DC that had the twins, and the mom was short and in the demo kitchen could not reach the controls to the overhead hood?
    If that was the kitchen it was amazing. I did not see the beginning, tuned in halfway through it. That is very interesting to hear about the behind the scenes comments.

I have heard that on House Hunters they usually already HAVE their house and then go find simular houses to compare it to for the filming. If you notice, they tend to pick the "empty" house!
    Yes, that was the one, PugMum She couldn't reach the controls, so they were able to lengthen that massive overhead hood before it even went into their house. I'm like you, by the way, I missed part of the beginning of it, I hadn't seen what the old kitchen looked like, I tuned in as the remodeling began. But that video clip I linked above showed what it looked like before, and wow! Although I personally abhor southwest designs and colors, the kitchen itself was really fabulous.

Hey, that's a good point on the House Hunters show. I hadn't noticed that pattern before, but now that I think back, you're right. I love 'behind-the-scenes' kind of info, makes the shows so much more fascinating

I catch Designer's Challenge when I can but I love House Hunters. There are several that I like, especially anything to do with kitchen remodeling. I like the one where they tell you what different price points will buy you in different states. A million in California won't get you much but you can live like royalty just about anywhere else for that!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2459531;
    I catch Designer's Challenge when I can but I love House Hunters. There are several that I like, especially anything to do with kitchen remodeling. I like the one where they tell you what different price points will buy you in different states. A million in California won't get you much but you can live like royalty just about anywhere else for that!
    I love House Hunters, too. I tend to not watch designers challenge much. But I did know about the donated materials and cost overruns. I really wish they would state what was donated or if they go overbudget (some shows say when they spend more).

Why even mention a budget if that isn't truely what it costs?

My oldest daughter and I are hooked on HGTV. I love House Hunters, although every now and then there's an episode where the people are such twits that I can't watch. Like the couple who couldn't afford to buy in Santa Monica, so they kept their overpriced rental and bought a "vacation home" in Palm Springs. Puh-leeze.

But I also really like Design on a Dime.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

I'm bringing this thread forward for discussion about the summer show SUMMER SHOWDOWN. Start Date: August 3, 2008 following DesignStar Finale.

Summer Showdown: HGTV pros face off in the ultimate design challenge

hosted by: George Gray

The dueling designers:

Team 1 Vern Yip & James Lunday
    Team 2 Cynthia Rowley & Steve Hanneman

Team 3 Angelo Surmelis & Carter Oosterhouse
    Team 4 Lisa LaPorta & Carmen De La Paz

Team 5 David Bromstad & Jared Walker Dostie
    Team 6 Constance Ramos & Anthony Gilardi

Team 7 Steve Watson & Sabrina Soto
    Team 8 Eric Stromer & Lauren Lake

There are videos on the site which give details and lots of comedy.

I am sooo looking forward to this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Arielflies, thank you! I would have missed this show had you not called it to attention. I am really looking forward to this. What a great concept and getting to see them design the exact same space could not be more perfect.

I can already predict that I will like Cynthia's space more because I don't like Verns rooms, never have. He landed above many on Trading Spaces but that did not make him fabulous, for me. I took Deserving Design off my Tivo.
    Last edited by shoepie; 07-29-2008 at 06:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 101 123456789101151 ... LastLast