+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 96 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I don't get Nicole's criticism of the stairs and rails that were put in. The Texas Boys and John and Whitney both put in stainless steel railings and yet Nicole only criticized John and Whitney's. I didn't realize the original treads/steps were some kind of stone/peddle step. I thought it was dirty carpet. If they don't feel good on a bare foot I would replace them.

Just a bit of a side bar: If any of us viewers could get free flooring put in,a free front door, free basic railings for out stairs and access to free furniture and lighting I think a lot of viewers could put together a really great room if all we had to do was clean up, repair some drywall, and paint the walls. Just saying.
    YorkieMom and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Flipping The Block

2 more episodes to go:

Episode 7 - Group Challenge - outside landscaping - 8/31/14

Episode 8 - Marketing the Condo and Auction -9/7/14

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Bearcata, I've missed most of the episodes and so appreciate your detailed recaps. Sundays just seem to be super busy and I forget it's on or am busy doing something. I can't stay up that late to watch the later airing that night.

I came here to say I am really enjoying Fixer Upper with Chip and Joanna Gaines. Chip is just the cutest thing. I wonder when new episodes will air because I think I've seen all of them. The other day I caught the tail end of an episode that I wished I'd seen from the beginning. The homeowner was Clint (I think that's his first name) Harp, the carpenter/craftsman who uses all of the reclaimed wood and makes the kitchen islands, doors, tables, and all the other assorted items that Joanna uses for her clients' homes. I could not believe my ears when it was mentioned that the home was purchased for $10,000!!! Holy Moly! Clint and his wife had a total budget of $110,000. So, with the home purchase, the renovations cost 100K. This was in the Waco, Texas area. The home that Joanna designed and Chip renovated was beautiful. Quite a large home, too.

On the map Waco doesn't seem so far from Austin, but prices are triple in Austin what they are in Waco. My son recently purchased a small ranch home in Austin and is leaving his Brooklyn, NY stomping grounds and relocating to Austin in 2 weeks. He's starting a new job and a whole new life. I've never been to Texas but am looking forward to paying him a visit once he gets settled in. Who knows, maybe I will run into Chip and Joanna in one of the downtown furniture places they like to frequent?

FORT Regular

ECM- I agree with you on Fixer Upper. I love watching that show and think Chip and Joanna are so cute. They always seem so happy and calm and I love what they do to the places. The prices these people pay always crack me up since it would cost 5 times as much where I live.

I have a cousin that is moving to Austin in September. He wanted a change and the cost of living is lower and it's easier for him to find a job with his degree out there. Good luck to your son. Hope it works out and you will just have to visit him often!
    dagwood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Bearcata, I've missed most of the episodes and so appreciate your detailed recaps. Sundays just seem to be super busy and I forget it's on or am busy doing something. I can't stay up that late to watch the later airing that night.

I came here to say I am really enjoying Fixer Upper with Chip and Joanna Gaines. Chip is just the cutest thing. I wonder when new episodes will air because I think I've seen all of them. The other day I caught the tail end of an episode that I wished I'd seen from the beginning. The homeowner was Clint (I think that's his first name) Harp, the carpenter/craftsman who uses all of the reclaimed wood and makes the kitchen islands, doors, tables, and all the other assorted items that Joanna uses for her clients' homes. I could not believe my ears when it was mentioned that the home was purchased for $10,000!!! Holy Moly! Clint and his wife had a total budget of $110,000. So, with the home purchase, the renovations cost 100K. This was in the Waco, Texas area. The home that Joanna designed and Chip renovated was beautiful. Quite a large home, too.

On the map Waco doesn't seem so far from Austin, but prices are triple in Austin what they are in Waco. My son recently purchased a small ranch home in Austin and is leaving his Brooklyn, NY stomping grounds and relocating to Austin in 2 weeks. He's starting a new job and a whole new life. I've never been to Texas but am looking forward to paying him a visit once he gets settled in. Who knows, maybe I will run into Chip and Joanna in one of the downtown furniture places they like to frequent?
    I like Fixer Upper. I watched the back to back episodes that aired Sunday. I liked their farm, especially the kitchen. I need to pay them a visit and help them with their landscaping. They are a cute and fun couple to watch. Joanna is so talented, Chip too, but her design ideas are really good. Her designs are not crazy but very practical.
    I wish they would do follow up stories on the renovations that were shown. I would love to see how the couple who were doctors are managing the 30 acres that they bought. They were funny. I like the fieldstone fireplace that was one of their renovation options. They didn't chose it, but maybe they installed it later. It would have really added to the make over.

I love Austin TX. It is a fun, young, active town. I think your son will really enjoy living there.You will have a great time. Start saving your money, the shopping is fantastic.

Thanks mcmomof2, for your good wishes. My son says everyone is so friendly there. I know he is going to love the music scene, especially. He's a talented musician and artist in his own right, but that is not what he does for a living. His girlfriend hopes to find a nursing job down there.

inthegarden, I never pay much attention to the landscaping. I know how talented you are in that area, but I must confess that I don't have a green thumb. I do appreciate nice landscaping, but because I seem to kill everything I plant, I am afraid that gardening does not hold my interest. I've been bugging hubby that we need to do something about the front of our home. It's in dire need of professional landscaping. I've got a huge weeping beech tree, that is famous around these parts, for its beauty, and just because it's kind of a rare tree around here. It's probably the nicest part of my front yard, and I had nothing to do with it. It was here when we bought the house and I will never take it down.

Back to topic...I remember that doctor couple and the fieldstone fireplace. If I recall correctly, they had a healthy budget for that area. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that some homeowners can buy a home for under 100K. It boggles the mind. Compare that with Love It or List It, 2, which is set in Vancouver, BC. Most of the episodes I have seen show houses with a value of upwards of 800 or 900K. Pretty steep!
    inthegarden likes this.

So glad other folks are liking Fixer Upper ... sometimes I think I am the only one on this thread. I am also liking My Big Family Renovation as that family is also from Texas and the wife and hubby really play off each other well, but it is a short 8 episode series. I am glad that what ever production company it is, is finding and filming in Texas just to see how folks in the middle of the country are doing. Luv seeing what you can get for your buck in Texas. While I luv seeing the city of Toronto for many of the HGTV shows, I find some of the shows filmed on either in New York or LA so off the scale as far as the cost of housing and the egos of some of the homeowners and agents that it is nice refreshing to see normal America and couples treating each other with kindness and respect. I don't even bother with Love It Or List It Too as Vancouver house prices are out of this world, that and I feel the couple doesn't have any chemistry together. Hilary and David on the original LIOLT have great chemistry and are a hoot to watch and listen too. Most of the homeowners are ridiculous.
    inthegarden likes this.

This isn't an HGTV show, but has anybody seen Flipping Vegas? I came across it yesterday. OMG, it is the fakest "reality" show I have ever seen. Badly acted, staged scenarios, made-up disasters ("Oh, no the contractors just broke the marble countertop that we couldn't afford in the first place!") It's on A&E, which much think their viewers are too stupid to sit through a real home flipping renovation. Why literally make stuff up when an actual flip would be just as interesting?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Regular

This weekend, during the day, I watched a show on HGTV but I can't remember the name of it. They should 3-4 pairs buying auction homes and then took you through them renovating it. A pair of guys had a really good contractor and turned a duplex back into a single family house and the renos were really good. Then there was another pair of guys that reno'd a house but didn't spend as much and the workmanship was kinda shoody. They ended up selling it to a contractor for a reduced amount as they didn't finish all the work and didn't want to hang onto it any longer. It took place in No Ca. That is what kept my interest as it's my locale. Was fun to watch...not as much as fixer upper but interesting. Does anyone know this show? The name?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmomof2 View Post
    This weekend, during the day, I watched a show on HGTV but I can't remember the name of it. They should 3-4 pairs buying auction homes and then took you through them renovating it. A pair of guys had a really good contractor and turned a duplex back into a single family house and the renos were really good. Then there was another pair of guys that reno'd a house but didn't spend as much and the workmanship was kinda shoody. They ended up selling it to a contractor for a reduced amount as they didn't finish all the work and didn't want to hang onto it any longer. It took place in No Ca. That is what kept my interest as it's my locale. Was fun to watch...not as much as fixer upper but interesting. Does anyone know this show? The name?
    Yes, I have seen this show several times but the name escapes me right now. There are a youngish team of 2 Asian guys, an older team with one big, bald guy and his friend, who give off a very LA vibe, and 2 teams of a woman and man, who are not related to each other. There's also a fifth team, that has one team member who is a contractor and knows what he is doing. I think this is the show you are thinking of. At the end of the show they tally up who made the biggest profit on their house flip.

+ Reply to Thread