+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100 LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

I haven't watched Genevieve Gorder do anything in years. I did not care for her years ago when she was on Trading Spaces and still refuse to watch her. Just not my cup of tea in style or personality. Maybe she's different now.

I do love Nicole Curtis though. I don't like all her style choices, but IMO, she is focusing on refurbishing when people don't have a lot of other options. For people with limited resources, it's a good option to refurbish. She tries to stay on a shoestring budget and I can relate to that. To each his own though. I get it. Sometimes personalities just don't mesh with our own.

Flipping The Block

I checked out the patio pictures of the patio episode. I can see why John and Whitney won. First of all the teams had fences put in and the outside of the buildings painted.

The Texas Boys built a pergola and finished it. They put in a new light fixture by the sliding glass doors. They put in sod. They bought an outdoor dining set and set that up. They bought a grill and put in a corner. They bought a chimera (standing fireplace) and put it by the fence next to two chairs. They didn't set it up in a vintage. It was bare and not selling a lifestyle. It was bare bones. Oh, they made wood boxes to put plants on but you can't use them to sit on. They also made a cover for the AC unit. It was sad.

Curtis and Amanda set up a beach theme and followed through, with an eating area, a shower and a boardwalk. Parts of it look very cheap and trailer park ... just saying but they designed the entire area.

Sisters, Shauna and Anicka also designed the entire area and they were thinking ahead and made it low maintenance. They got it as a lounge area but not as a dining out area. They also did the entire surface either in the wood pavers or or the fake grass. They put pavers down for the grill and had a small pergola put in. They also landscaped it well with the planter boxes.

John and Whitney also designed the entire area. I wish they had sacrificed some plants in exchange for the hose bib. They put in a floating deck. They put in a firepit. They provided seating at the fire pit, at the dining table, at the bar, and they built a bar and they landscaped. They put in stepping stones from the fence door to the patio, no muddy footsteps and it preserves the sod. They finished the entire area. This is why they won.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

HGTV has a show called My Big Family Renovation airing Thursdays after Fixer Upper ... liked it ... another Texas couple.

Flipping the Block

Guest Bedroom and upstairs landing.

Why did John and Whitney win again for the third time? The are the only team that really finished the bedroom and the landing. The sisters didn't finish the landing, the twins didn't pay much attention and Amanda and Curtis painted it. John and Whitney put in the washer and dryer and and finished the closets and the bedroom and they continued their color scheme and design theme. The sisters didn't finish painting the hallway or finish their bedroom closet. Amanda and Curtis finished but the quality of their craftsmanship always kicks them in the butt. The twins concentrate so much on one feature, in this case doing a great closet they forget to pay any attention to the overall design theme of their rooms and that is their biggest failing. That and failing to use subcontractors as needed in the time allotted. While they did have a nice closet John and Whitney had a prefab closet system that looked higher end because they painted their closet with a punch of color.

Next week is the living room.
    Need40winks likes this.

One more thing about John and Whitney are the doors they are using in the condo. All the other teams are using these two panel doors and John and Whitney are using these reproduction 3 or 4 panel doors that look great. Attention to detail is key as to why they are winning.

I did watch the behind the scenes videos on HGTV - Decorating, Outdoor Rooms, Landscaping Ideas, Kitchen and Bathroom Design with David Bromstead and what is interesting is that David says Amanda is hands down the best designer on the show. I just don't necessarily like her beachy esthetic. Scott McGillvarey also commented that he would love to partner with John and Whitney as their esthetic is close to his.
    NCLurker and Eastcoastmom like this.

Was watching My Big Family Renovation and got all upset because in their new bathroom the folks are putting up tile on the walls and complaining that their 102 yr old farmhouse doesn't have straight walls. From everything I have read you are supposed to put up waterproof concrete backer board in the bathroom to set your wall tile on else you will eventually soak the drywall or in their case plaster and lathe that make up the walls.
    Need40winks likes this.

Flipping the Block - 08/24/14 - Living Room and corrections.

Amanda and Curtis win. Really I thought it was going to be between the sisters and John and Whitney. Kinda feel sorry for the Texas Boys but at least they are finishing their projects. They just really need to work on styling their rooms. I hope the teams are allowed to style a bit more for the auction.

Next week the outside landscaping and the auction???? That last bit was unclear or rather vague.

I think the only reason Amanda and Curtis won is because Nicole Curtis, the judge, likes funky stuff. I think she even went against her own advice as far as appealing to the majority of buyers. I know folks over on the HGTV forums think that the show is rigged for a John and Whitney win and are pretty upset about it. I don't think HGTV can rig this win, they can certainly edit what they film though and when you have a group of folks with various skill sets and design styles you will get enough footage to create a story. I thought it was a pretty cheap shot of the Texas Boys to say to John that the complements Nicole gave their living room and corrections should be going to their subcontractors. Hey, this show is about using your money wisely and adding value to the property not doing it all by yourself. How's that working for you Texas Boys? Have you won any challenges yet? Will you win the auction? Don't think so.

I personally think that the Texas Boys and Amanda and Curtis will be the bottom two condos. Texas Boys because they need to work on their design styling. Their rooms look neat and finished but lack the WOW factor. Amanda and Curtis because of crappy quality of work and because of very personal design choices. The sand pit patio, the awful storage thing in the main bathroom the crappy storage under the staircase. That leaves the sisters and John and Whitney as the top two contenders. Both have quality of work, both have design styles that are interesting but have broad appeal. I just feel that John and Whitney have that extra edge. I like that both teams used their correction money to resolve kitchen issues with the sisters doing a back splash, getting a washer and dryer and enclosing it and finishing the second bedroom closet, while John and Whitney fixed the issues with the stove and refrigerator in in their kitchen. Big improvement.
    Need40winks likes this.

Amanda does show some originality, but I think her taste is questionable. I think John and Whitney probably have the best taste. I hope they win.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Amanda does show some originality, but I think her taste is questionable. I think John and Whitney probably have the best taste. I hope they win.
    Even Scott McGillivrey said hands down that Amanda is the best designer there, but that being said she is not getting that there is a big difference between personal style that you like and want in your home and flipping houses and styling the house to appeal to the largest market and temp the broadest market. Both judges and Josh has told Amanda and Curtis the same thing over and over and if they want to flip houses professionally maybe they should listen to the professionals. Between her artsy craftsy style and Curtis's poor quality of work I wouldn't want to live in their condo. The door to their garage looked awful and the trim not nice. Hated the storage unit in the master bath and under the stairs and I didn't like the wood wall in the second bedroom.

+ Reply to Thread