+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 95 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192939495 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Gosh, I just started seeing this program. I had maybe only seen one or two episodes before and didn't know when its regular time slot was. But the last few days or so they seem to be airing it a lot. I just think Jo Jo and her husband Chip are the cutest thing. Whether it is for the cameras or what, but Chip still seems smitten with his lady. I loved, loved, loved the Craftsman style bungalow the widow chose in the last episode I saw. I normally watch these shows while on the stationary bike so if it's a half hour show, I am good, but the hour shows I miss the ending b/c I am not on the bike for longer than a half-hour. I never did get to see how that Craftsman was remodeled. Gee, a lot of these homes in Texas are cheap. My son is contemplating a move to Austin, which is not that far from Waco, but the homes are much more expensive there, for some reason. Anywho, I really do like Fixer Upper.

Austin has a population of around 885,400 and a median salary of $52,000 and median house prices are around $216,700.

Waco has a population of around 127,018 and a median salary of $37,245 and median house prices are around $118,654.

More population, higher income, more demand, more expensive houses.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Brother vs Brother

Season 2 episode 2

Rats, Drew won only by $1,000.00.

Jonathan sent the right person home, the one who didn't finish his projects.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks for that info, Bearcata. Texas r/e prices still seem like a bargain. I understand there is no state income tax, either.

I caught only the tail end of Brother vs Brother. It was a super slim margin, as you said. Ironic that Drew, the brother with less construction experience (yes, I know, they both are really actors, etc), has the teams that win more frequently. At least that is how it seemed last season.

Did anyone catch the flip or flop where the house was infested with roaches? That was disgusting the tenants were living there like that. The seller knew too for sure since they had this thing where the tenants shouldn't be disturbed--good way to get people to overpay without looking at the house. I hope Tarek and Christina were able to recoup the money from the lien. Did anyone catch why the seller could sell to Tarek and Christina with a lien but Tarek and christina were not allowed to sell the flipped house until the lien had been taken care of? That really confused me.

I think the issue Jonathan has with brother vs brother is that he doesn't have a good team. If it were him and Drew competing he would win hands down, but last season especially he got stuck with a horrible team. This season is better. He sent the right person home. There was no excuse for all that work to be so unfinished. Jonathan's team did a nicer house, that was the main issue. Hopefully Jonathan takes the overall win this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880 View Post
    Did anyone catch the flip or flop where the house was infested with roaches? That was disgusting the tenants were living there like that. The seller knew too for sure since they had this thing where the tenants shouldn't be disturbed--good way to get people to overpay without looking at the house. I hope Tarek and Christina were able to recoup the money from the lien. Did anyone catch why the seller could sell to Tarek and Christina with a lien but Tarek and christina were not allowed to sell the flipped house until the lien had been taken care of? That really confused me.
    That house was disgusting. I don't think I've ever seen so many roaches in one place!

I thought they bought the house as a short sale and didn't do/have time for a title check to find any liens on the property. Wasn't it a roofer that hadn't been paid?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I thought the Flip or Flop lien claim was rather odd too. I wouldn't think an attorney would conduct a closing without doing a title search and finding that lien before they purchased, but may that's how they do in CA. There's also insurance that covers that kind of thing. Oh well. I still like the show and wish they had more new episodes.

Did you see one of the recent shows where the couple was in their living room? There place looked very small. I would think that from the huge profits they show from many sales, they would have a larger home. Their place actually looked like a small apt. I wonder why.

Fixer Upper has new episodes looks as if they air several repeats and then air a new episode on Thursday nights.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

What I like about Fixer Upper is the wonderful chemistry between Chip and Joanna. I like that they film around the Waco Texas area, so we see what the house prices are outside of big cities like Toronto, New York, Atlanta etc... The absolute best thing about this show is that the home buyer is not gushing or complaining about there not being stainless steel appliances, that there are no granite countertops, that there are no hardwood floors ad nauseum until you want to slap them silly (House Hunters, Love It or List It) and the endless complaints about getting everything for nothing. While I am not keen on Joanna's design esthetic of distressed looking items or antiques, I do like that the couple will save the cabinets, will repaint or restain them and just put better counters on and nice backsplashes. The last episode has a young couple buying a 1950's ranch in the Viking Hills area and they had parquet floors and other rooms had real hardwood floors and all they did was refinish them and restain them, no talk of "oh, they need to be torn up". The restaining them all to the same color really gave the house a cohesive look and feel. What I like also is the prices and what they can do for the amounts. One of the best things about this show is that the house buyers seem so appreciative and thankful for what they have and what they are getting.
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Thanks for that info, Bearcata. Texas r/e prices still seem like a bargain. I understand there is no state income tax, either.

I caught only the tail end of Brother vs Brother. It was a super slim margin, as you said. Ironic that Drew, the brother with less construction experience (yes, I know, they both are really actors, etc), has the teams that win more frequently. At least that is how it seemed last season.
    High sales tax and high property taxes.

+ Reply to Thread