+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Re: HGTV Shows

Season 2 of Brothers vs Brothers started last night. I truly hope a repair team from HGTV comes in behind these teams and fixes all the mistakes ... cough, cough, crappy baseboards the one team did.

Team Drew: I found it funny that the one guy who asked to be the leader for the first challenge had the worse room (laundry room) and was the only objecting when the tall blonde female said she felt she was the natural leader. Ego much? Seriously who would put a cabinet that low and that deep over a counter where you are supposed to be folding laundry?
    YorkieMom likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Thanks, ECM! It was Doug Wilson I was thinking of.

I've been in the grips of a bad bit of insomnia so I've been watching way too much HGTV. Among Property Brothers, House Hunters, and Property Virgins, where do people get THAT kind of money to buy houses so young? I'm looking at a couple right now on PB, and they can't be more than 30 years old and their budget is over $600K. Saturday I saw a young woman, 25 years old and described as a "sales manager", with a budget of $200K on PV. The older, more established people don't bug me so much. But these under 35 people? Where are they working and how can I get a job there? I always thought it was the rule of 3X...buy a house that is three times your annual salary or less so as not to be house poor. I dunno anymore & I'm old.
    PG - I feel the same exact way - how are these people affording $500K budgets? Not to mention they walk in a house and say "ugh, this kitchen needs to be completely gutted". Meanwhile, it may be dated, or not to their taste. But gutted? Entitlement generation! ack! I've been in my house 17 years and I have wanted a new kitchen for the past 14. But never would it need to be gutted! I would love them to walk through my house.....and I really like my house! These 20-somethings would hate it and want the whole thing gutted.
    ElizabethG likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    PG - I feel the same exact way - how are these people affording $500K budgets? Not to mention they walk in a house and say "ugh, this kitchen needs to be completely gutted". Meanwhile, it may be dated, or not to their taste. But gutted? Entitlement generation! ack! I've been in my house 17 years and I have wanted a new kitchen for the past 14. But never would it need to be gutted! I would love them to walk through my house.....and I really like my house! These 20-somethings would hate it and want the whole thing gutted.
    And also, I feel so badly when I watch Love It or List It or House Hunters and they do gut a perfectly serviceable kitchen. There are places where you can donate these nice wood cabinets. Maybe, like you have said, they may not be the latest trend (for a while there medium oak was the trend but now it seems to be leaning toward either darker cherry or white), but to throw them in the dumpster? Maybe someone could use them. I know there are places that sell recycled cabinets and appliances.

The comments that most of these house hunters make are ridiculous and they are not all 20 somethings...'Oh, this house needs so much work. We need to repaint every room, take up the wall to wall carpet, replace the bath vanity...yada yada yada" Why don't they look at the bones of the house rather than fixating on cosmetic things which can be easily fixed or replaced over TIME? Not yesterday as they all seem to want. My husband's biggest gripe is that they don't seem to really care about the essentials like foundation/structure, roof, heating system...these are the big ticket items that are going to cost you in the long run. Not switching out a Formica countertop for the coveted granite. Geesh!
    ElizabethG and mushybrain like this.

Eastcoastmom, I take even little bits and pieces to the Habitat for Humanity Restore. I'm looking at a couple projects and will try to buy materials from them. Also, I think a lot of people donate or even sell, down to the tiles. I saw Rehad Addict lady do that, to help with the cost of a redo. And I couldn't agree more w/your husband's comment - maybe that's why so many get into these remodels and THEN find some humongous, gotta be fixed, structural problem?!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

I watched the Fixer Upper this morning. It is a couple in Waco, TX the husband is a contractor and the wife a designer. Once again it was taking people around to three run down houses and then using the difference between the purchase price and their budget to make the fixes. It followed the formula and for two shows I didn't get tired of this couple - they had great personalities - but I wouldn't want to be forced to overdose on their show like one can do with Love It or List It and the variations of the Property Brothers.
    mushybrain likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I always liked watching the remodeling shows. I liked to remind my contractor how long it was suppose to take to gut and remodel a bathroom, 2 days right! When he was working on the main part of the house, he told me to shut the tv off and to never watch a remodeling show again
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I always liked watching the remodeling shows. I liked to remind my contractor how long it was suppose to take to gut and remodel a bathroom, 2 days right! When he was working on the main part of the house, he told me to shut the tv off and to never watch a remodeling show again
    I do find it funny watching Property Brothers and their rediculous timelines. I have watched my dear sib have his master bathroom redone and couple years later his entire 1st floor that originally was a kitchen remodel.

They must have the houses already bought and plans done way in advance to be able to have all the materials at hand to be able to totally redo an entire floor in 3 to 6 weeks they way they do.

As for Love It Or Leave It again they are able to do that much for that price? Obviously the homeowners are not being charged labor for what Hilary is able to do in their homes in that period of time.

As for my siblings bathroom, they gutted it and then they had to wait a while for the next crew, etc... every time a stage was done it could be 2 to 3 weeks before the next stage was completed.

As for the kitchen, I think it took them several months to get together a decent design and they spent months sourcing materials. My sis-in-law did a great job getting materials then they would store it in the garage. They would also go on these long road trips to these discount stores and got some great deals but there was a long of research and phone calls involved. Altogether I think from deciding to do it to being completely finished it took 9 to 10 months. But they got the entire first floor redone for $28,000. All new flooring in the foyer, kitchen, family room, dining room and living room and powder room. Eliminated a structural level from the front door to the kitchen. All the walls painted. Powder Room totally redone. New kitchen and eat in area. They totally redid the flow of the kitchen, eat in area and family room and got new pub table and chairs, new sofa for the family room and new office furniture. My sib and a neighbor did the demo and it was hard, but they saved thousands doing it themselves.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    And also, I feel so badly when I watch Love It or List It or House Hunters and they do gut a perfectly serviceable kitchen. There are places where you can donate these nice wood cabinets. Maybe, like you have said, they may not be the latest trend (for a while there medium oak was the trend but now it seems to be leaning toward either darker cherry or white), but to throw them in the dumpster? Maybe someone could use them. I know there are places that sell recycled cabinets and appliances.
    Yes, yes, and yes! I can't bear to watch when they destroy kitchen cabinets that many, many people would be positively thrilled and grateful to own. It is really terrible. I guess they think it makes for more exciting TV to see people demolishing stuff. I think it is disgusting that they don't donate everything they can.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I watched the Fixer Upper this morning. It is a couple in Waco, TX the husband is a contractor and the wife a designer. Once again it was taking people around to three run down houses and then using the difference between the purchase price and their budget to make the fixes. It followed the formula and for two shows I didn't get tired of this couple - they had great personalities - but I wouldn't want to be forced to overdose on their show like one can do with Love It or List It and the variations of the Property Brothers.
    I have watched several episodes of this show, and I am really enjoying it. Chip is kind of goofy, in a very fun-loving way, and he and Joanna have such a nice, easy style. I like how she sometimes uses repurposed wood and furniture in her designs without it looking tacky. It is really nice to see one of these home makeover shows use materials that so many of the other design shows would destroy and toss. Their carpenter even lovingly scolded Joanna once for allowing perfectly salvageable pieces of wood to be thrown into the dumpster, and he jumped in to retrieve the wood. I especially like that, just as with Scott McGillivray from Income Property, there is no fake drama or pearl clutching when unexpected expenses arise. I hope this show lasts.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Gosh, I just started seeing this program. I had maybe only seen one or two episodes before and didn't know when its regular time slot was. But the last few days or so they seem to be airing it a lot. I just think Jo Jo and her husband Chip are the cutest thing. Whether it is for the cameras or what, but Chip still seems smitten with his lady. I loved, loved, loved the Craftsman style bungalow the widow chose in the last episode I saw. I normally watch these shows while on the stationary bike so if it's a half hour show, I am good, but the hour shows I miss the ending b/c I am not on the bike for longer than a half-hour. I never did get to see how that Craftsman was remodeled. Gee, a lot of these homes in Texas are cheap. My son is contemplating a move to Austin, which is not that far from Waco, but the homes are much more expensive there, for some reason. Anywho, I really do like Fixer Upper.

+ Reply to Thread