+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 100 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: HGTV Shows

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Re: HGTV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Remember the show where Hildi glued hay to the walls? I would have killed her if that was my house. I don't know which was more atrocious, the hay or the fake flowers she hot-glued to the walls in another house.
    I always said if I signed up for Trading Spaces and I saw Frank or Hildi walking up to my door, I'd hide. Bring me VERN!!
    Wake up and be awesome

I still shudder remembering the bathroom where Hildi glued (or did she staple gun) thousands of silk flowers to the wall. They probably had to just take down the wallboard and start over.

Frank's stuff was little too "happy hands at home," but he wasn't nearly as destructive as Hildi. Wasn't she the one who painted someone's carpet?

Vern, Laurie and Genevieve were my favorite designers, although even they had "misses" from time to time.
    captain likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hildy was a useless ditz.
    captain likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Laurie, Genevive, Vern...I miss those peeps. Ooof, Hildy, and what was that guy's name who liked to antagonize Hildy? I can remember his face and he had a spin off where people bought other peoples' houses and it was a kind of serial reno project show? That guy. Glad he's not around. But that was TLC.

HGTV has become sooo formulaic, and I'm a die hard Bravo watcher, so I know from formulaic. HH is faked, and we all know that for years. I'm sick of the Property Brothers "rehabing" a house and always finding problems with plumbing and electrics, and then showing only 3 to 4 rooms of the entire house...while doing little to nothing outside. Love it or List it regular is intolerable, but the 2 version (I think Vancouver?) is a bit better, but still. Between PB, LorLI, and Holmes, I'm thinking every house in Canada is on the verge of falling to pieces. Okay, not really, but c'mon, HGTV! Find some new ground to mine. Maybe houses in, say, Montana, Alabama, Oregon, Utah, Arkansas, or some other "not the usual focus" state need some renos.

Sarah Richardson on HGTV is one of my favorite designers. Her assistant Tommy was an absolute hoot. I know things are expensive but sometimes I think the price is way overboard on some of the things they do. Candace Olsen is another good designer. I loved David Bromstad too until he moved to Miami. I still would love to have one of his paintings.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

And wasn't Hildy also the designer that glued about a zillion records to a living room wall? Who was the designer that decorated a kitchen with wine labels, even though the couple had told her they were tee totalers? Yikes!

PhoneGrrrl, the designer you are thinking of from Trading Spaces is Doug Wilson. I watched his home remodeling show as well. I think it was called Trading Up, or something like that. He was annoying as all get out.

Nennie, I really enjoy Sarah Richardson's show as well and absolutely love Tommy. Candice Olsen's show is a bit different now without Chico the electrician. I don't know if Candice's show is still in production, but later shows didn't feature Chico. Man, is Candice a tall drink of water! She was so elegant looking when she was pregnant! I'd love to be tall.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Thanks, ECM! It was Doug Wilson I was thinking of.

I've been in the grips of a bad bit of insomnia so I've been watching way too much HGTV. Among Property Brothers, House Hunters, and Property Virgins, where do people get THAT kind of money to buy houses so young? I'm looking at a couple right now on PB, and they can't be more than 30 years old and their budget is over $600K. Saturday I saw a young woman, 25 years old and described as a "sales manager", with a budget of $200K on PV. The older, more established people don't bug me so much. But these under 35 people? Where are they working and how can I get a job there? I always thought it was the rule of 3X...buy a house that is three times your annual salary or less so as not to be house poor. I dunno anymore & I'm old.
    waywyrd and Miss_Griss like this.

I loved Trading Spaces! Doug and Hildi's rooms were the worst. Hildi's designs with fake flowers, hay, and beach sand were horrifying as was the one where she put all of the furniture on the ceiling. How is that livable?? Doug's sex dungeon room was also a true "what the hell" moment. Frank's aesthetic wasn't my taste either. My family loved him though because they love country design but I thought it was a bit childish looking.

My two favorites were Genevieve and Laurie. I still remember to this day the poor woman who was so excited to have Laurie because Laurie always did yellowish rooms and the homeowner loved warm tones. That was the one time Laurie did an ice blue room.

Was Trading Places on HGTV or Bravo? I'm sorry, but I really don't remember it...but, then I didn't start watching HGTV until about seven years ago.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Was Trading Places on HGTV or Bravo? I'm sorry, but I really don't remember it...but, then I didn't start watching HGTV until about seven years ago.
    Aired on TLC.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread